Which Mosin-Nagant variant?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by HawkI, May 30, 2010.

1. M44

30.0%
  2. 1891/30

70.0%
  1. HawkI

HawkI New Member

I've been eyeing the Mosin-Nagant series... they're cheap and built very well so I've heard. I have narrowed my choices down to the M44 and the 91/30. I'm leaning towards the 91/30 with the Russian PU scope. I have heard many mixed arguments between the two rifles, such as the 91/30 is crudely made or the M44 isn't as accurate.

I'd like the bottom line on the cream of the crop as far as the Mosin-Nagant series is concerned. I'll be using the rifle at the range for recreation. Does anyone have a favorite they can suggest?

2. davemccarthy707

davemccarthy707 New Member

Get yourself a Polish M44. They have chrome lined barrels and are tack drivers.The bluing is really deep and the overall quality is excellent. Much better than any other Nagant I have handled. You can recognize them by the factory stamp on the top of the receiver. It is an 11 in an oval. They usually cost about 2-300 for an unfired version. I borrowed mine to a friend and he took a caribou at 500 yards with it.

I sighted in the scope and could do a cloverleaf at 100 yards with it no problem. Mine had a side mounted weaver scope. I gave it to my uncle as a gift. He loves it.

Last edited: May 30, 2010

3. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Why limit yourself, they are inexpensive enough, get both and then you can decide. Once you have one, it will quickly become more.

4. HawkI

HawkI New Member

that's a good point. The only problem with that is that I also have my eyes on a Lee-Enfield No. 4 Mk1, Saiga 7.62x39, Mossberg 500 8-shot, and a 40 caliber Bersa Thunder... Yes, my wishlist is long and my wallet is already light hehe. I'm hoping to raise around $1000 and do some shopping this summer. Wish me luck...

5. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I have had two, a 91/59 and an M38. I prefer the handiness of the shorter models although they do have a touch more recoil. Of your two choices, I chose the M44. But I don't care for the added weight and encumbrance of the bayonet.

6. HawkI

HawkI New Member

Well with the poll results and replies I've gotten, I'm leaning towards the 91/30, although I'm not completely convinced yet. Anything else I should know? How about scopes for the rifles?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  7. surgicaltech

surgicaltech New Member

Here's why I picked the 91/30.

Attached Files:

8. HawkI

HawkI New Member

How difficult would it be to find the sniper variant of the 91/30 (with Russian PU scope)?

9. surgicaltech

surgicaltech New Member

Mine's a 1943 Izzy ex-sniper. The guy at the gun shop told me that they are getting harder to find because they are picking the ex-sniper models before they are even shipped to the gun store. I got lucky with mine.

10. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 New Member

Simple.....
    If you want a piece of WWII History, get the M91/30. Pick it out by hand if possible - quality varies as with any antique. Pre-WWII dates will have best fit & finish.
    If you want a handy shooter, get the M44. For best quality, pay the extra for the post-WWII dated 'unissued' carbine. I use mine for deer hunting - works plenty fine in our Florida piney woods. Distances rarely exceed 80 yards. I have shot two inch groups at 100 yards with good ammo. Mine prefers the Heavy Ball, and my 180 grain SP handloads.
    With my fifty-three year old eyes, accuracy runs about the same for the rifles and carbines.
    So far I have six Mosins of various makes and models. They are like Lays tater chips - you can't have just one! ;)

11. yodar

yodar New Member

AFTER you get your dime a dozen Mosin 91/30

Get a Finn! Accurate as can be, rare, NOT cheap, but a keeper.
    The 91/30 was a Soviet weapon. The Finnish during the Winter War (when USSR invaded Finland in November of 1939) captured 28,000 of these rifles. During the Continuation War (June 25, 1941-September 5, 1944), the quantity of rifles grew immensely. Finnish factories assembled 10,000 rifles as late as the 1960’s. These were in Finnish inventory as late as 1988.

Finn 39's are Russo-Finn War captures mostly, are Arsenal rebuilt, re-barreled with Sako or ValMet Barrels, rebuilt stock and fore-end and are a much handier rifle to use and carry. Kept for civil guard use, many appear here to be un-used.

I got mine from Burns Wholesale, Now Pat Burns http://www.gunsnammo.com/

[​IMG]

It's the only Mosin I have left in my collection, the 91 would hit a minute of barn

12. AH-1

AH-1 New Member

spend the money and get a finn.
    pete

[​IMG]

13. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 New Member

Even with the much-vaunted Finn, one MUST check the bore! Mine is what I call the "Prom Queen with bad teeth"..... Gorgeous wood, good finish, a beautiful rifle - but the bore is heavily pitted especially near the muzzle end!
    Shoots groups, like a shotgun.....
    It does do better with the heavy 203 grain SP hunting loads though - my Finn baby likes her bonbons with 'high calories'........ :D

My Mosins:

[​IMG]

Top: Sesty M91 dated 1916
    Second: Izzy M91/30 Round Receiver
    Third: Finn M39 dated 1942
    Forth: Izzy M44 Carbine dated 1946
    Fifth: Chinese T53 Bubba'd by PO - shoots very good though!

Not shown is my M91/30 Hex Receiver.

14. gandog56

gandog56 New Member

Well, if you get a carbine, I suggest the 91/59. I like it way better than my M38 or M44.

My Finn M39 is still my favorite Mosin of my bunch.

15. AH-1

AH-1 New Member

+1 on the 91/59.excellent shooters.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Johnny357

Johnny357 New Member

Turned Down Bolt

Can anyone tell me why the bolt handle is turned down on the 91/30 snipers? If I put a reproduction PU scope on a non-sniper 91/30 will the scope interfere with the bolt-action?

17. surgicaltech

surgicaltech New Member

It's like you said, the bolt will interfere with the scope.

18. HawkI

HawkI New Member

actually, with a little research and some great input from everyone, the Finn is really stealing my attention. I think I will look for one after I get my SKS.

19. mjtaur

mjtaur New Member

I say get a Finn. Mostly because I'm of Finnish heritage and they are supposted to be more accurate. Plus, they've been made famous by Simo Häyhä. I wish I could pick one up. Haven't been able to find one in person. Only way to buy.

20. ctreser

ctreser New Member

Well if you buy a Finn your chances of it being a great shooter are much better than buying a Russian version. I do have some excellent shooting Russians but I had to go through a lot of rifles to get them. I don't remember buying a bad shooting Finn and I've bought quite a few. A Finn VKT M39 is about the most reasonable Finn you can buy. They can be had in the $250.00 range. And speaking of Simo Häyhä (White Death). If you haven't read his story it's a must read. It's very interesting.