Which Model Glock

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by thedonald, Apr 9, 2007.

1. thedonald

thedonald New Member

What model Glock do you all recommend for CHL purposes?

2. Drake

Drake New Member

That's not an easy question to answer. It depends on your body size, type of clothing you wear, activity level, size of hands etc. Can you post more information?

Also what caliber are you looking for? If you're not sure, I would recommend something like a .40 or even a .45. I'm pretty partial to a .40 myself however.

Let me know the above questions and I'd be happy to direct you towards a piece.

3. allmons

allmons New Member

As above.

If you are looking for a full size, reasonable caliber, you are going to find the Glock .40 and 9 mm frames fit your hand much better. The full size .45
    (model 21) is a handful, and those with small hands have a hard time getting a good trigger pull. If you go 9 mm the model 19 is eminently concealable and controllable and can still carry up to 17 rounds ( if you live in an American state, not a People's Republic Of ). There is a new Glock .45 out now that is supposed to have a trimmer grip with the same firepower.

As noted above, you can't go wrong with a Glock .40.

;)

4. BrassMonkey

BrassMonkey New Member Supporter

First pick a caliber. For CCW the Glock 26 is the most popular choice in their line, I prefer the 19 however. The best advice I can give you is to find a range that has rentals, or a friend with Glocks so you may shoot/handle as many models as possible befor you commit to buying one. I bought a G30 without having shot one before, and was disapointed to find that I couldnt shoot it very well at all. What works for one person does not always work for others. Whatever model you decide on rest assured Glock has earned their reputation for reliablity.

5. xerez

xerez New Member

I've owned six various Glocks now and the 19 was my favorite both in ease of shooting and feel of the gun.

6. ScotZ

ScotZ New Member

If you are not dead set on a Glock. I would suggest a SIG 229 40 cal. I own both Glock and SIG. For me the SIG is a much better fit and I am more comfortable shooting the SIG. Its a matter of personal preferance both manufactures make excellent guns

7. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I'm not a Glock Guy, but as stated above, You need to shoot a few and decide for yourself. A Sig is also a great handgun, but the factors that make one better than another are dictated by the shooter. You need to try as many as possible, and in different calibers. Jim

8. Praetorian

Praetorian Guest

Hey i would personally stay away from Glock, i know a lot of people swear by them, and there are so many LEO who carry them because they are department issued, and i have heard the arguments on the torture test done on Glocks, but I think they are garbage. If you want the best go SIG, but i have found that being that the SIG is so heavy, and they are quite expensive, and as nice of a sidearm/service weapon as it is, i dont find its practical for concealed carry. If you are fond of the Glock look and style and want a weapon that will blow you away, that is light and easy to handle and quite accurate and has a very good customer service rapport, go with the Springfield XD. I talked about 12 guys out of Glock last week and into a Springfield XD, even a woman who was looking for something for personal protection and had a revolver waiting to be picked up, talked her into the XD as well. I carry a 4 inch service model, and its wonderful, accurate, light and dead on. Go check one out, the 4 inch may not be for you, though I carry it concealed without a problem. They make a 3 inch version, which still has the capability of carrying the same amount of rounds in the magazine as the full size models. Seriously, go with the Springfield, and if you arent sure, go to a gun store and talk to a FFL dealer, but make sure you talk to more then one so that you get a good assessment as to the weapon from more then one source, Springfield just took the Glock and made it better. And if you ever have a problem or a defect, they dont ask you any questions, they get you what you need right away, didnt have that with Glock, it was a major hassle with them. I was happy when departments started changing from Glock to Kimber and Ruger and Beretta, the Glock is not as dependable as so many Glock fans would have you believe, i would never carry one as a duty weapon, and I would never carry one for personal protection. There are a lot of LEO's who feel the same way. Before I even considered law enforcement as a career, it was other law enforcement officers who warned me to qualify as soon as i could with my own weapon, because the Glock was not reliable. Go to a gun shop with a range that offers the ability to fire both a Glock and an XD, and you will immediately see the difference. That's how I got 12 people to change their minds from Glock to XD. I was actually looking at picking up an HK USP Compact, and was repulsed by the grip of the handle, fired it then thought I would take a shot at the XD, fired it, and went downstairs immediately and bought an XD, and this was after having just spent $1200 bucks on a SIG. Go XD, check out the Springfield Armory website and read up on it. XD is a good choice, better then Glock in my opinion.

9. Praetorian

Praetorian Guest

lol that was great a "brick with a trigger", never heard that before, lol. that was the highlight of my day, thanks.

10. fireman69

fireman69 New Member

Hmmm.... I've tried a bunch of different ammo, light and heavy bullets, FMJ and JHP, standard pressure and +P, and I haven't had a single malfunction in my "brick with a trigger". Granted I only got it a month ago and only have 1k rounds through it but it still hasn't failed me. I have a G23 as well. Same problem. Just won't malfunction no matter what I feed it. I really love my G30. I guess I'm the only one with these "problems".

Fireman

11. fireman69

fireman69 New Member

Hmmm.... I've tried a bunch of different ammo, light to heavy bullets, FMJ to JHP, standard pressure and +P, and I haven't had a single malfunction in my "brick with a trigger". Granted I only got it a month ago and only have 1k rounds through it but it still hasn't failed me. I have a G23 as well. Same problem. Just won't malfunction no matter what I feed it. I really love my G30. I guess I'm the only one with these "problems".

Fireman

12. GreyBeard

GreyBeard New Member

I've carried my Glock 36 for seven years. Never a problem, other than in the first few day's I found that it didn't like bullets with a really large hollow point opening. They opening would occasionally catch on the feed ramp, due to the sharp entry ramp on the G-36. Currently carrying Rem. Golden Sabers (which feed flawlessly).
    I also own a S&W Model 19 (4 in.), a Colt 1911a, and a Charter Bulldog. All good carry guns, but daily I choose the G-36.

13. CBstraining

CBstraining New Member

I own 3 glocks myself. A 21, a 30, and a 19. All three seem to fit me perfectly. I've never had an issue with any of the Glocks I've owned in the past. I recently got away from the 40s but have nothing against them. I recently picked up the 9mm and fell in lust with it after taking it out to the range. Super accurate, very little recoil, easily concealable. When I recommend guns I start with the Glock 19. I also like the XD but it sits too high on my hand. Personal preference is to keep the gun as close to my natural point of aim as possible. The overall question is what fits you. Don't buy the latest greatest hunk of gun because everybody thinks it's great. Try out as many as possible and find what fits you.

14. jberry

jberry New Member

To answer the original question, Glock 27 (in .40) - but the recoil needs some training to feel comfortable with...

15. monsterdawg725

monsterdawg725 New Member

one of my fav glocks is the 26 /27 size i carry a 26 but id like to get a 30 too for carry

16. Doc

Doc New Member

The subcompacts are fine (I also had a Glock 27), but you will want to add a finger extension of some sort for your pinky finger to hang on to.

Just curl the pinkie up under the magazine and forget it.

17. guns4fun

guns4fun New Member

Did that guy a few posts back actually say not to buy a Glock? Blasphemy, i tell you. He should be tared and feathered :D .

I like my G19 for carry in the winter and my g26 durring the summer. I also carry a xd-45 compact durring the winter too. I think the xd line actually points better for me than the glocks but i have so much trigger time with the glocks that i'm used to it. I don't think you could go wrong with a G19 or a G23.

18. allmons

allmons New Member

Glocks rock

After being flamed by 1911 people, I finally realized that I am just not smart enough to keep a 1911 pistol running without jamming constantly.

A friend took me to the range and made me shoot an ugly, square thing he called a "Glock" 17. No jams. No levers to remember, no half cock, no cocked and locked, no trying to find a magazine that would work.... it just worked. Over and over, with repeatable results.

That was the 1980's. I bought a Glock 17. Then a Glock 21. Then ... well, you get the picture. To date, I have had no jams, no misfires, no bad magazines. And I have spent exactly ZERO on modifications and repairs.

I shoot often, and still don't regret my conversion to the Glock side.

:D

19. westernamerican

westernamerican New Member

I use G19, G26, and G32 and love 'em all!

20. FlyboyLDB

FlyboyLDB New Member

Glock 23 & Glock 27 for me - both 40 cals. I have other guns - but these are my preference for carry. I know another guy who would not part with his 19 - all year round. So it comes down to personal preference - look, feel, & function. I always love these questions - because there never is a right/wrong answer with regards to what's best - but a lot of opinions & experiences.