Which is the better out-of-the-box shooter?

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by ArrizX, Jul 29, 2009.

1. ArrizX

ArrizX New Member

Kel-Tec SU22
    Ruger 10/22
    Henry Lever action H001
    Remington 597

I wont be modding anything like triggers, barrels, etc. I'm not quite that advanced yet.... So how does these stack up? If I got the Ruger, I would however put on "taticool" accessories just for the fun of it, because all I am looking for right now is a fun gun. Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  2. layton

layton New Member

Looking for a fun gun? I do hope when you get a weapon, you will not play with it,They are not a toy, they are a tool to respect, I do hope you are joking.

Layton

3. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I hate to say it but get the 10/22 and as your knowladge and experiance grows you cna start to mod it out. then you can end up with a unique rifle built by you.

If you want a real rifle get a bolt action. Like a mossberg M44us.

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Something like this?

mallninja.jpg

5. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

That is hilarious, Cane. Uber-tacticool. Perfect for the urban mall ninja! :p

6. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Geez you guys take everything so literally. :rolleyes:

Yeh, a fun gun, nothing wrong with that. In no way did he say he was going to be irresponsible in any way. If plinking is not fun to you then you take yourself way too seriously, internet range officers.

To the OP.

I think 597's are more accurate out of the box than 10/22's. There's alot of mods you can do with them too and you'll have an extra $100 for what you paid for a base model.

7. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

I would recommend a Ruger 10/22 WAYYYYYY more than a Remington 597. Getting a decent trigger on a 597 is beyond the scope of the average shooter. Also there's not really that much stuff out there for 597s. I've had to fix too many 597s to like them. In fact, a guy brought 1 in the other day in a box-seems he took it completely apart and wasn't able to get it back together. A 10/22 will run out of box & when he's comfortable enough later, he can mod it however he wants.

8. Shotgun Shooter

Shotgun Shooter New Member

I'd say Ruger 10/22. Theres only 1 thing I hate about it. Putting the bolt back in. If you can get over that, the the 10/22 is perfect. I like the flush magazines, compared to all the other 22's with magazines.

S.S.

9. dsmith84

dsmith84 New Member

the only one i can speak for is the ruger 10/22 mine's still stock and i love it shoots great and its very accurate in my opinion. i thought about it but in modding it i'm not goin the whole tactial route a scope and some high cap mags is all i need on it.

10. ArrizX

ArrizX New Member

When I said taticool, I ment nothing more then like an ATI Fiberforce stock, or an Evolution stock, and just a 30round magazine.

....Fun meaning as just to plink though.

11. Shotgun Shooter

I'm the same way. Except, I doubt NY would allow me to have one lol. Mines stock with a sling. Works great for plinking and hunting.

I was looking into a tactical stock for ****s and giggles.

Dont worry. Guns are fun and you should have fun with them. If you're safe and finger off the trigger, then they are fun to plink. Dont always need to be serious. Just dont be irresponsible.

S.S.

12. chucksolo69

chucksolo69 New Member

Yeah, it's hard to beat the Ruger 10/22, why heck, that's why everybody and his uncle owns one; that is the one reason I will NOT own one. After getting and firing my Colt/Walther .22 M4 I wouldn't even consider any other semi auto .22.

13. dsmith84

dsmith84 New Member

I didn't mean nothing by it my friend. I've thought about getting a folding 6 position stock and red dot scope and light and bipod and stuff i can always switch back and forth i use it for hunting small game and plinkin around at the range

14. canebrake

canebrake New Member

We know that, just yankin' your chain!

I checked and did not see you post a introduction.

This is what I tell all noobs:

WELCOME to the FTF community ArrizX, glad to have you aboard! [​IMG]

All you need here is a thick skin and the ability to laugh at anything, including yourself!

Join the NRA FREE!! (Yep, FREE)

NRA - Join the NRA - Bonus Offer << Click Here!

Already a member? Sign up your wife, kids, neighbors......

Lighten up ArrizX and ignore the pokes. The louder the squeals, the deeper the spurs dig in!

Instead of taking a punch, counter jab! WE are Olympic at this sparring!

cane

15. County Boy

County Boy New Member

I sold my 10/22 awhile back didn't have much luck with it, bought a Browning lever action. A person can almost shoot as fast as a semi. I put a scope on it and it's real accurate. Very happy with it

16. ArrizX

ArrizX New Member

Haha thanks, and don't worry guys i'm not taking anything to seriously lol. FYI I am joined in the NRA!

Anyways, I think I am going to go the 10/22 route just for customizability. I am going to start a new thread for that, thanks guys!

17. Shotgun Shooter

Great choice!
    If you need in depth rimfire information, head over to Rimfire Central.

S.S.

18. vicdsm

vicdsm New Member

Ive gotta be honest I regret not getting the 10/22 over the 597, the factory mag is hell always jamming, cant wait to drive down to georgia next week , try to get my hand on a 30 rnd mag. Saw one in a local gunshop but the owner told me he wouldnt sell it to me since there not legal in ny, yet i asked him why he would have it out, he said well not for that price.he wanted $80 for the mag LOL... yeah sure.

19. Shotgun Shooter

On Rimfire Central, a guy has a pre-ban 30rd mag for the 10/22. Not sure how much he wants for it.
    I hate NY.

S.S.

20. vicdsm

vicdsm New Member

got that right^^