which is better gun over all and ccw

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by bones72, Sep 25, 2011.

1. bones72

bones72 New Member

I have a pt709 as my main ccw thinking about trading for a m&p compact.. any opinion on this would ne greatly appreciated ...

2. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

The Smith M&P is a much better shooting and reliable semi-auto pistol over the Taurus pt709, IMHO. YMMV :cool:

3. bones72

bones72 New Member

That's what I was thinking plus I don't really care for the trigger pull of the Taurus..having a hard time with it...getting us to it...

4. MrWray

MrWray New Member

+1 for the M&P

5. rigjumpr

rigjumpr New Member

Too broad of a question like, who makes the best screw driver?

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Depends entirely on you but you're headed in the right direction. You need a change when the confidence in your CCW wavers. Be sure you base your next purchase decision on reliability and confidence rather than price. (My assumption about the PT709.)

I find the 9mm Browning Hi-Power to be my CCW of choice. Should I feel I need to change, I'm confident I will not be looking to Taurus for a replacement.

7. ArizonaLawman

ArizonaLawman New Member

If it was to be your PRIMARY carry gun, and not a backup...I'd go with the M&P9C. More bb's. Arguably more accurate, but that is the function of the shooter, not the pistol. Nitwits argue about accuracy in a compact pistol...they can't shoot them to their "mechanical accuracy potential" anyway, so it it's nothing I give bandwidth to. If the gun will deliver five shots to a paper plate sized target as fast as you can pull the trigger IN A CONTROLLED MANNER at the longest distance you will have to shoot in your home, you are golden.

I have a PT709 and love the hell out of it as a backup gun. Mine has about 600 rounds through it, and nary a bit of trouble. It is, in my opinion, a FAR superior subcompact than the new Ruger LC9. I shot them together, and the PT shot circles around the LC9. BUT...I digress.

I am a Glock man, but I recognize the outstanding quality of the M&P series of pistols. I have owned a couple and shot the mess out of a bunch...they work. They work every time. You'd be very well served indeed by an M&P.

So...in a nutshell...primary carry...get the M&P. If you shop around, you can find a used specimen for right around $400.

8. nccinstaller

nccinstaller New Member

If you like the m&p and can shoot it well then it sounds like a great new cc gun for you. I have shot them and really enjoyed it, i have considered picking one up for myself. Alot of people dont care for the taurus firearms because it seems like its 50/50 whether they are good or bad. I have had 2 taurus weapons and one rossi 2 of the 3 were great and the other i would never ever carried because it was very unreliable

9. bones72

bones72 New Member

I have not had a bit of trouble out of the Taurus . Just don't really care for the trigger .. I also hear the m&p is a lot more reliable...

Sent from my DROIDX using FirearmsTalk

10. ArizonaLawman

ArizonaLawman New Member

You confused me...you said "I have not had a bit of trouble out of the Taurus". Is it fine from a reliability standpoint, and you just don't care for the trigger?

My PT has been 100% reliable with everything I have stuffed into it. So I don't know about the M&P being "a lot" more reliable.

I am not trying to nitpick, just get a handle on your overall impression.

The M&P IS a fine weapon. If you choose it, you will have done well.

11. bones72

bones72 New Member

Just don't care for the trigger can't seem to get use to it ...

12. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Craftsman 

13. bones72

bones72 New Member

Yea craftsman !!!

14. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Ya buddy! 

15. rigjumpr

rigjumpr New Member

Well I think snap on

16. nccinstaller

nccinstaller New Member

Heck yeah snap on baby!

17. bones72

bones72 New Member

Went and ordered my m&p9mm today.hope to get it in a week or so!!!

18. tommy62

tommy62 New Member

You'll like the S&W.

19. bones72

bones72 New Member

Thank you ..I liked the one they had in the store . I like the way it felt in my hand and the trigger pull.. I just hope its as reliable as I hear and as accurate ..

20. trex1310

trex1310 New Member

This is strictly a personal opinion, I would not carry a Taurus
    anything.