Which is a better gun?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by submitu, Aug 22, 2011.

1. submitu

submitu New Member

Hi Im new to the forum and somewhat new to guns. I've shot only rifles before and want to purchase a handgun. My main concern is home security and self defence.

I also want an affordable gun. I've found 3 in my price range. The smith and wesson 9mm sigma, The issc M22, and the ruger lcp. Does anyone have any experience with any of these? If so could anyone give some advice on each of these pistols. thanks

2. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

Also check Sig SP2022. It is comparable in price and an excellent gun (for the price) IMHO.

Better yet, Check CDNN and see if they still have LEO trade in S&W 5906 (all steel). I bought one for less than $300 and it feels worth twice as much. I love mine but being used YMMV.

Good luck!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Your list includes three different calibers. The largest, 9mm is by far the best of the three. It will be easier to shoot, control and has “adequate lethality.”

The middle caliber, .380 auto is IMHO, a tad small for PD use in any form other than as a back-up gun. The LCP is not a fun gun to shoot because of it's light weight. My daughter has one and I do not enjoy shooting it!

The smallest, 22lr round is a fine "plinking" cartridge and an inexpensive way to have shooting fun but.............please don't select it for PD or HD use.

I'm guessing your budget is <$500. Have you thought about buying a used gun?

I picked up my 1989 Browning Hi-Power 9mm within your budget and it's now my carry gun.

I found a 1970 S&W model 19-3 6" .357 Rem Mag for under $400. This gun has become my favorite range gun and is ideal for HD.

4. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Personally I wud'nt pay wholesale price for any of the 3 - JMHO
    But I'd step up the Ruger choice to a SR9C ;)

5. bkt_tater

bkt_tater New Member

I own a lcp. It is my conceal weapon. I have large hands and the gun is fairly small (that's why I got it....to conceal) so I bought the Pearce grip extension. It is a good gun. Like was mentioned above it is not plesent to shoot. Bu what do you expect with a pocket pistol? I shoot this gun on occasion, but never put more than a couple clips through it. It has a glass filled nylon frame which means, with every shot the concussion of firing the gun, the frame expands slightly. If you shoot it too much it begins to hurt. But again, it is a pocket pistol not a target gun. Meant to shoot in emergency not all the time.

I you have any questions let me know. I did so much research on this gun before I bought it I knew more than the guy at the shop.

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

For Home defense or range, concealability is not in the question. So let's drop the LCP (it not practical at ranges longer than 15 yards because of the short sight radius, not the caliber).

Now let's drop the .22 for home defense, but keep it around for target practice. The Foot-pound-energy of the .22 is around the same as a good claw hammer. And the hammer is more practical around the house. With the longer sight radius, it could be used on targets set at ranges longer than 15 yards.

I guess that leaves the Sigma. :)

By the way, Welcome to the forum. We have an "Introductions" area that has a lot of info about us.

7. bkt_tater

bkt_tater New Member

I have shot my lcp at 10-15 yards and it was suprizingly accurate. Groups were maybe and inch or two from target.

8. orangello

orangello New Member

9. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

If $500 is your price point look into a Glock 17 or 19 as well as Springfield XD or CZ. All offer 9mm at about that price. Hell you can get a decent entry level 1911 in .45 ACP for the money. All of the above would be suitable for PD and range use. As other have already stated the lcp and m22 are not all purpose guns. The S&W is a personal choice gun, some love them others can't deal with the heavy trigger pull. YMMV, important thing is that you take the time to hold and shoot any gun before making a decision.

Welcome aboard and good luck

10. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

From target or point of aim?

I hope you meant point of aim. :)

11. bkt_tater

bkt_tater New Member

Yeah I meant point of aim. Just typing fast.

12. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

First- welcome to the forum- some good folks around here- we usually take turns with the role of the Village Grouch ( Yeah, it's my week. So what? :p) . Please DO stop over by the intro thread and say howdy.

You mentioned that you were fairly new to firearms, and specifically to handguns. Going to suggest a different route for you-

Rather than an auto, take a look at a good revolver. Shop carefully, including looking at used handguns (from a reputable dealer) and look at S&W, Ruger, or Colt .357 magnums. A double action revolver is hard to beat for simplicity of use when under stress, easy to lock it up when NOT using it, has enough stopping power to be authoritative, allows use of .cheaper .38 Special ammo for practice, and prices can be very reasonable.

IMHO, the .22 is NOT a defensive firearm. Yes, it can be lethal- but absent a lucky head shot, he may die 10 minutes after he beats you to death. .380 is the bottom line I would seriously consider for self defense.

The standard advice is to find a range that rents guns for use on the range, and try as many as you can. Let them know you are comparison shopping for a handgun, they may give you a break on rental.

Good luck, happy shopping, and send us pics of what you get.

13. Glockpotion23

Glockpotion23 New Member

no limit really

If your budget is 500 smackaroos, your in good waters. Like mentioned already, Glock 19 would be a awesome choice IMO. Or if you feel a sub-compact would fit better; try the baby Glock(26). If you feel you need a external safety, Springfield XD is a good pick. S&W M&P, even Ruger SR9 would work. You cant go wrong with these choices. I would start with the 9mm then, your thirst for larger calibers will come later.

14. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Never a problem shooting with my S&W 457
    or my Ruger LCP .380
    . Both dependable guns.

15. Dizzll

Dizzll New Member

Out of those, I'd say Sigma, but there are better deals to be had sir...

16. submitu

submitu New Member

Wow! First off Thank you everyone for their input. this is probably the most friendly forum I've posted in. I think I've eliminated the 22. I think I like the sigma the best so far but I'm still researching all the suggestions on the forum. I'll let the forums know what I decide to get or if I have anymore questions.

Oh yeah their are a few gun shops by me. I've only been to one and it seemed over priced compared to some prices online. Haven't had time to get to the other ones yet.

17. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

From your list, the Sigma hands down. Listen to the other posters advice and keep searching, but the sigma is not a bad choice IMO. Welcome to the forums. :cool:

18. dbpokey

dbpokey New Member

Now it has been 2 years or better since I fired the Sigma, but it had the worst trigger pull I had ever felt on a pistol. Hopefully they changed it but the two I tested had 10lb pulls and over the entire travel of the trigger felt like broken glass. Based on that I would not choose the Sigma.

Please correct me if I am wrong, like I said It has been a couple of years.

19. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Sigma still has a heavy trigger but bear in mind it's not a defect or due to cheap parts, it is a purposeful design meant to emulate the trigger pull of a revolver. It has some merit if you have safety concerns about a lighter trigger but again it's not for everyone and is probably the most often mentioned feature of the pistol.
    Unfortunately there can only be one World's Greatest Sigma and it has already been claimed. ;)

20. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Home defense auto-loaders for around $400 or less that I would consider:

New
    Ruger SR9, Ruger P-series
    Sig P2022
    Bersa Thunder 9mm
    Arcus/FEG Hi-Power clones

Used & Service Trade-ins
    SW 5906
    Sig P6
    Glock
    Beretta M9/92

I also think this gun is a decent all around option for a newbie...at about $450 after transfer fees.