Which Henry Big Boy would you get?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Seven, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Seven

Seven New Member

Henry Big Boy Rifles

.44, .45 Colt or .357?

I only revolver I own is those calibers is a .357, so if I got one of the larger ones I'd have to start stocking up on ammo for another caliber. It would be mostly for recreation, but if I ever decided to carry it bear hunting the .357 is too small.

:confused:

2. tomingreeneco

tomingreeneco New Member

I have one in a .357 and love it (also have several pistols in .357) I personally would not want any of those calibers for bear in a lever action. If you do not get a perfect shot all you'll get is a p.o. bear. Get the .357 for it's versatility and get an 30.06 for the bear. I love pistol calibers in a lever action, but I also want to live to a ripe old age!

3. TimL2952

TimL2952 New Member

4. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

I recently went shooting with a friend who has the Henry in .44 mag. It is a great shooting rifle. We were hitting pop cans at 100 yards easily. We found a load that works great in both his rifle and our pistols. We used the Hornady 240-grain bullet and 19.6 grains of Lil Gun. They were shooting at about 1300 fps out of my Super Blackhawk and 1530 out of his Henry.

5. lonewolf101

lonewolf101 New Member

the new one that comming out soon 45 70 that looks different

6. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Killing a bear that is browsing or unaware is not the same as killing one that is charging. 44 mag might work on a small black bear but it is not enough cartridge for an emergency shot on a larger bear unless you are cool enough and good enough to hit the nose on a charging bear. You might kill the bear but it will probably kill you back. Not too long ago a guy in Alaska killed a charging bear with a 454 Casull revolver. The bear was sick and starving. It was hungry not enraged. A healthy bear would probably have killed him. A 12 gauge shotgun slug has 2X the power of a 44 mag and it needs multiple hits unless you are lucky and/or very good. Before the 458 Win Mag came out some of the Alaskan guides were carrying African doubles. Some still do as they may have to protect their clients from a very mad wounded bear. Get a 45-70 or 450 in a Marlin. A BLR or an 1895 would also be a possibility in lever guns.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011