Which has more distance?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by nikotromus11, Oct 17, 2010.

1. nikotromus11

nikotromus11 New Member

Guys,

Which rifle has more accurate long range distance?

• 30-06
    • 25-06
    Thanks,

Ryan

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

All 3 are capable of very good- INCREDIBLY good- long range accuracy. IMNSHO, the 30-06 enjoys a slight edge due to increased energy over the .308, and a better BC over the 25-06. In the hands of the average to better than average shooter, you would never see the difference. In the hands of an experienced military sniper trying for that 1200 meter shot, the 30-06. The .270 also is in the "right up there" category- but the guys competing for world record tight groups at very long ranges are using none of those 4- they are shooting 6mms. The ability to shoot at distances measured in zip codes is PARTIALLY related to the caliber and rifle. The ability of the shooter to read wind, mirage, range, target speed, elevation, etc ad ifinitum will also come into play.

3. nikotromus11

nikotromus11 New Member

I heard that the 25-06 could shoot much further. Is that not right?

4. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

I have/shoot all three calibers.Most .308 bullets have a greater BC than the .257 bullets.
    Although you can shoot a .257 at faster speeds it doesn't fly farther or more accurate than the .308's

The 30/06 will shoot a bit farther than the 308,but not by much.Most shooters would prefer the 308 over the 06 for less recoil.
    Accuracy comes down to the shooter and the equipment being used.

5. Fisherking

Fisherking New Member

The 25-06 is a flater shooter with less of a rainbow arc than the .308 or 30-06. but it has a lighter bullit and is more prown to wind conditions.
    My 2 cents
    F.K.

6. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

The .30-06 is known as "The Rifleman's Cartridge" for a reason. It has an edge over both other calibers you listed, but it also has the ability to be loaded up and down an entire spectrum to take just about anything walking on 2, or 4, legs in the Western Hemisphere.

Carlos Hathcock and Chuck Mawhinney did an incredible amount of damage with off the rack Model 70's in .30-06

Just sayin'

JD

7. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

The problem with the 25 cal is there is no real good long range bullets for it. If it had some really good slick SMK, A-Max style bullets for it I would be a superb long range caliber.

8. BudW

BudW New Member

For us novice folks what is BC?

9. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Ballistic Coefficient

10. BudW

BudW New Member

Thank you!!!!

11. Vearl Brown

Vearl Brown New Member

A few things enter the facts here. The 25:06 is a fantastic cartridge. In fact the last rifle that I built for myself was a 25:06. But---at longer ranges the lighter bullet drops off and the accuracy isn't that great at longer (what do you mean by longer ? ) over 300 yards. If I had to be limited to an 06' or 308 I'd probably go the 06' route even though you can shoot the same bullet out of both rifles. The BIG question here is what are you going to do with it and what do you want it for. I reworked a .458 for a guy who said " It was the best ground hog rifle he had ever owned ". A little over kill ?? I think so but it's up to the shooter !!

12. gatopardo

gatopardo New Member

IMO the 25-06 is more versatile will fly further with a flatter trajectory.
    1170-grain bullets are good enough to drop a deer.