Which Handgun is Equivalent to Dirty Harry's Calahann's?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by GunTotingReporter, Jul 14, 2011.

1. GunTotingReporter

GunTotingReporter New Member

I know that the 44 Magnum is not a real gun, because it does not fire.

But what I want to know is, which handgun is equivalent to Dirty Harry Callahann's, and DOES fire?

2. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

What do you mean the 44 Magnum does not fire???? Plenty of owners of the S & W 29 and 629 will beg to differ with you on that one.

3. GunTotingReporter

There really IS a 44 Magnum?

There really IS a one that DOES FIRE?

Show me some proof, all right?

I'm new to this gun deal!

Plus, I'm a huge fan of badasses, including Clint Eastwood!

4. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

Go to the thread "44 magnum picture thread." You will see a bunch of them there. S7W's, Taurus's, and Rugers too.

5. 1919A4

1919A4 New Member

Just go to Gunbroker and do a search for ".44 Magnum revolver" and you will find dozens of pistols that are quite real, including a few Model 29's like like Harry carried.

6. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Holy bat**** batman is this for real? Are you friggin kidding me? If you are asking questions like this then lay off the meth cause it is rotting your gray matter.

7. Polygon

Polygon New Member

That's what I was thinking.

What on Earth would make you think the .44 Mag wasn't real and didn't fire?

8. cddbrowns

cddbrowns New Member

?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!:eek::eek::mad::confused::eek:

9. GunTotingReporter

i looked shopping online, and they told me that the 44 magnum "Dirty Harry gun" was a prop gun, and didn't fire.

Click below

.357 Magnum Revolver 8in Barrel 19-1061N - Buy from By The Sword, Inc.

they say it does not fire any live ammunition

10. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Just a thought but maybe they meant that Clint Eastwood wasn't really blasting away in San Fran. That doesn't mean the gun wasn't a stage prop of an actual S&W. Most movie guns, except Sci-Fi, are non working or blank firing replicas of real ones.

11. user4

user4 New Member

12. iluv2shoot2

iluv2shoot2 New Member

I'm still speechless! I mean...........

13. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

The .44 magnum cartridge was introduced in the 1950's and the .357 magnum cartridge was introduced in the 1930's.

14. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

The link is to a site that sells replicas. Hence none of the items there are designed or advertised as "for combat" - including swords and armor.

The most common of the Dirty Harry handguns is the Smith & Wesson Model 29, chambered in .44 magnum. There were (2) barrel lengths used in the film, one was a 6.5" (I believe) and the other was some bastardized 8.something inch length.

I can assure you, both the cartridge and the weapon are both VERY real.

JD

15. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

16. cddbrowns

cddbrowns New Member

[​IMG]

17. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

GunTotingReporter has left the building. He's either a troll or so dangerously ignorant that he shouldn't be here.

18. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Thank you-
    I really wanted to say sumthing but----------:confused:
    Troll, moron or kid ?------------

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  19. canebrake

canebrake New Member

The Smith and Wesson model 29 was used in Dirty Harry (1971)

The dash number is not applicable because the gun called for in the script was a 4" and was out of production during the filming of the movie. Fred Miller of S&W had a couple assembled from parts but unlike the 4" called for in the script, two versions were used and seen in this movie. A Model 29 revolver with 8 3/8" barrel, and a Model 29 revolver with 6 1/2" barrel.

They were fired with custom-made blanks for this movie.

In Magnum Force (1973), Harry uses a Smith & Wesson Model 29 with a 6 1/2" barrel.

In The Enforcer (1976), Harry again uses a Smith & Wesson Model 29 with a 6 1/2" barrel.

In Sudden Impact (1983), Harry again uses a Smith & Wesson Model 29 with a 6 1/2" barrel. When his Smith & Wesson Model 29 is kicked off of a dock Harry switches to his old pistol, an AMP Auto Mag Model 180 chambered in .44 AMP.

In The Dead Pool (1988), Harry again uses the Smith & Wesson Model 29 with the scuffed up 6 1/2" barrel from Sudden Impact.

[​IMG]

My S&W M29-2 P&R with a 6 1/2" barrel.

[​IMG]

And yes, the .44 Rem Mag DOES fire!