Which hand do you shoot with

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by gearhead396, Sep 7, 2012.

1. gearhead396

gearhead396 New Member

Just curious to know how many of y'all out there are left handed shooters? (like me)

2. 25-5

25-5 New Member

I am right handed, but shoot lefty as well. It takes just a bit of practice. A lot of shooters do it. Great for left side barricade. So try some righty!

3. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

I am right handed and I have lazy eye. I can make 5 to 7 yard shots left handed. If you like pocket pistols the JA-22 isn't a bad practice weapon. I can't recommend any 22 rimfire as SD weapon. I don't trust the rimfire primer.

4. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I shoot left handed. I can also shhot with my right. I practice both. Competition often requires it.

5. gollygee

gollygee New Member

I'm right handed, but part of my practice is always one handed & with weak hand also. You never know when you'll be forced to shoot with your weak hand & you may not always be able to assume the perfect stance & two handed hold. But, when shooting left handed it is always point & shoot at close ranges. It's useless for me to try to use the sights when shooting left handed.:eek:

6. zebramochaman

zebramochaman New Member

A majority of people are right-handed but a significant number of people are southpaws. In the old days if you were a lefty parents tried to convert you because it was considered a detriment. It can be a challenge to those that are lefties in the world of firearms. Most firearms are designed for righties but in recent history there are many guns that have ambidexterous features such as safeties, Mag releases, etc.
    The real challenge is for those people who are cross-dominent. If you are right-handed but your dominent eye is the left you need to adjust your sight picture. The same is true of the reverse (left-handed, right-eyed dominent).
    One of the most prolific and awesome shooters on Youtube (Hickok45) is cross dominant but has been able to overcome this to show that he is world class shooter.
    As stated in other posts, anyone who is using their firearm for SD should practice shooting with their weak arm. God forbid that you were in a situation that your strong arm was disabled and you are defending your life you need to be able to fight with your weak arm.

7. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Mostly right, unless having fun just going "bang", double fisting it.

You know what's said about left-handed people... They can't do anything right! ;-)

8. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Pistols and ARs "right handed

Shotguns and scoped rifles "left handed"

9. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Had to.....

The hand with the loaded gun.....:)

10. Donn

Donn Active Member

No guarantees I'll be able to hit a stance in a stress situation, so I practice with both.

11. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I'm left handed but will shoot with either I'm more comfortable shooting left handed but like to keep the muscle memory pretty up to date so that I can shoot pretty much as well with my "off hand".:)

12. Morgo

Morgo New Member

Right handed though I shoot often with the left in comps.

13. jyo

jyo New Member

I try to stay proficient with either hand---its not that hard.

14. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Im just the Opposite of Mr Wray even though Im a righty for most things. Im farsighted and my right eye isnt very good at all. Shooting lefty with a MG was never much fun even with the brass deflector. (better close the top button of your shirt or get ready for a burning sensation)!

15. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

I am left handed to . And I have always shot left hand. Never owned a left handed rifle cause I never saw the point in paying extra for a left handed rifle. I never had a problem when I was in the army shooting any weapon with the brass hitting me in the face.

16. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

The face isnt the problem, its down your shirt thats the problem (mostly M16)! Burns like a SOB and can cause erratic bursts of fire during the burn! Its no fun to be inside a Tow Gunship with the 50 mounted and rocking either, a shower of hot brass!

17. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Right Handed................

18. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

I have never had hot brass go down my shirt from an m16/m4 or an 249 s.a.w . So I don't know what you are talking about.

19. DoyleTheDog

DoyleTheDog New Member

Damn near blind in my right eye, but I still shoot pistols right handed. I shoot rifles left handed though.

20. richone

richone New Member

left handed for 67 years , to late to change now .