Which gun would you guys go with and why. Thank you.

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Mr. Wick, Aug 5, 2020.

1. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

That being said, I'd as druther carry my Security Six .357 because it's dead nuts accurate and WILL go bang every time.

JTJ likes this.
  2. Mcsorleyprobert

Mcsorleyprobert Active Member

HK USP!

Any, elite, expert, or original.
    Accurate, reliable, amazing!

I just wish I could afford one.

3. Rancid

Rancid Well-Known Member Supporter

Mr. Wick, I am going to weigh back in for a bit.
    For a novice like yourself, I think safety is the most important thing. And with that in mind I do not recommend either of the guns you have in your original post for you.

I do NOT recommend carrying a 1911 in the cocked-and-locked configuration. Unlikely as it might be, that safety can get disengaged putting into a holster, rendering it unsafe even with the grip safety because you could shoot yourself thinking that safety is engaged when it's not. Some of us who are neither novices or fools, by a long shot, carry them as Browning intended in his original design, before they even had a safety other than the half-cock notch ... with the hammer in the half-cock notch. That is by far the safest way to carry a 1911 and still have it able to be quickly brought into action. Unfortunately, it is not the safest thing to do to get it into that configuration because doing so requires lowering the hammer over a live round with the thumb, and if your thumb should slip, you could blow a hole in your leg or foot ... or tear your thumb off. Doing so is NOT recommended unless you are ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN you have practiced doing so until you are ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN you can do so SAFELY, and EVERY TIME. I told you that some regard these as fighting words and will get downright insulting if it is even brought up ... as freefall has just amply demonstrated ... having no tolerance for anything but their way.

The same kind of sentiments will be voiced by many regarding considering striker-fired guns as unsafe to carry with a round in the chamber (especially the Glock fan club) as both myself and SSGN_Doc have ventured.

My strong recommendation for you is a DA/SA gun with an exposed hammer and a de-cocking lever. This would allow you to get the gun into the safest possible carry mode without having to manually lower the hammer over a live round, plus having a solid block of steel between the hammer and firing pin rendering it totally safe and the gun quickly ready to go just by pulling the trigger in DA mode with its looong trigger pull. Subsequent shots would be in SA mode with a much easier, crisper trigger pull. The HK USP that Mcsorleyprobert mentioned would be an excellent example. As a novice, I would also suggest starting with a 380 which is easier to shoot well with its lesser recoil yet adequate for most SD situations. I can highly recommend the Bersa Thunder or Thunder Plus, which are also inexpensive enough to not break the bank to learn on.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  4. AgedWarrior

AgedWarrior Well-Known Member

So, you admittedly make comments that you know others will disagree with and even choose to argue the point with you, but then you run away from any controversy or challenge as though it is beneath you to engage. If you really do not wish to discuss or argue your point, then why do you start it in the first place? Seems like you are just intentionally provoking others (but maybe I am reading you wrong) and then want to step back and watch the fight you started.

5. AgedWarrior

If my choice was limited to these two only, I would lean towards the Kimber because I am not a big fan of striker fired guns. Striker fired guns are typically much lighter and can be quite small by eliminating the hammer, and use of polymer frames, but pose some safety concerns. Their size and weight make them attractive for EDC, but one should know well what they are carrying and the inherent risks involved. I would suggest looking at a DA/SA pistol first from Beretta, CZ, or FN.

6. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I realize that Mr. Wick has not stated anything regarding carry as a use for Either of these pistols.

if collecting and/or range use is the primary intention, either pistol will do well. I’d probably lean toward the Walther, myself. But that may be because I already have 1911s.

Rifling82 likes this.
  7. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

@ Rancid
    hammer in the half-cock notch. That is by far the safest way to carry a 1911 and still have it able to be quickly brought into action. Unfortunately, it is not the safest thing to do to get it into that configuration because doing so requires lowering the hammer over a live round with the thumb, and if your thumb should slip, you could blow a hole in your leg or foot ... or tear your thumb off. Doing so is NOT recommended unless you are ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN you have practiced doing so until you are ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN you can do so SAFELY, and EVERY TIME.

Let me get this straight, you advocate by-passing both safeties and lowering the hammer with your thumb over a live round a practice which you admit is not safe? Over the method 99.5% say is the only safe way to carry a 1911!

I do agree with part of your statement "
    Unfortunately, it is not the safest thing to do" that Sir is spot on.

Rifling82 likes this.
  8. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus Well-Known Member

Walther Q5 Match. I like the way it looks

SRK97, Rifling82 and PANDEMIC like this.
  9. PANDEMIC

PANDEMIC Well-Known Member

I defintely like the Kimber, the style and ported slide etc. And 9mm is a favorite round of mine. :D

PeeJay1313 likes this.
  10. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

For me neither one. I was trained on the 1911 many years ago and I gave them up for striker fired pistols. The only one I have left is the Sig P238 in 380. Primary reason was weight. Due to an injury if I had to carry more than 30 oz on my belt I would need suspenders to transfer the weight. A loaded Glock 19 is pushing it and is my largest semi auto pistol. I prefer my G26 or 9mm Shield. While the triggers on strikers are not as nice as SA I have gotten used to them. My intended use is for self defense not target shooting. A gun too heavy to carry is useless to me.
    Same with revolvers. I have a 4" 6 shot 357 but the one that gets carried out in the boonies is the 5 shot 3" SP101. Around town it is an LCR 38+P that weighs 16 oz loaded.

11. Rancid

I have said I have no intention of entering into an argument about it, and I meant exactly that ... I have heard it all before ... hundreds of times ... and I am not interested in going there yet again. It is up to me what risks I am willing to take and why. Period, end of discussion. Call me a novice, call me a fool, call me a non-conformist, call me any name in the book, it makes no difference.

But I submit this for your reading pleasure ... or displeasure ... depending on your bias.
    https://rangehot.com/john-browning-intent-1911-carried/

12. Rancid

I am not running away from anything at all, and it is not beneath me to engage. I just refuse to engage in the same blasted arguments I have heard and seen over and over and over again 500 times. Nobody is ever going to change my opinion on those subjects, and if they want to argue about it, I'm sure as the devil never going to change theirs either. If you want to consider merely mentioning / acknowledging that there is contention on the subjects as "starting fights", that's your problem, not mine. If you want to argue and fight about them, have at it, just leave me out of it.

13. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

First of all I did not argue or call names, I simply quoted you and asked if I had a reasonably accurate understanding of your position. I also pointed out that I at least agreed with this not being the safest practice IMO. You have every right to do it your way and I would not waste my time trying to deter you.

Rifling82 likes this.
  14. Rancid

Acknowledged, and thank you.

15. AgedWarrior

Like I said, “maybe I am reading you wrong.” Humble apologies.

16. Rancid

No problem. PEACE!

17. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

How did this get turned into a thread about how to carry a gun? He asked which one you would choose then asked what the difference is between SA trigger and striker.

winds-of-change likes this.
  18. CZ Newb

CZ Newb Active Member

Kimber

easier to pronounce

19. Rancid

See post #20

20. PeeJay1313

PeeJay1313 Well-Known Member Supporter

I like Kimber..

PANDEMIC and Rifling82 like this.