Which gun would you guys go with and why. Thank you.

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Mr. Wick, Aug 5, 2020.

1. Mr. Wick

Mr. Wick Active Member

Kimber Black Ice 9mm

OR

Walther Q5 Match SF

Attached Files:

2. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

Kimber. Because it's a Kimber.

7point62 likes this.

3. Mr. Wick

Mr. Wick Active Member

I'm new to the gun game. Kimber I take it is a reputable name ?

4. Rancid

Rancid Well-Known Member Supporter

The Kimber or Walther names hold no "magic" for me whatsoever.
    I will choose a SA 1911 type over any striker-fired gun every day of the week.

7point62 likes this.
  5. Mr. Wick

Mr. Wick Active Member

If you don't mind. What is the big difference between a striker and a hammer pistol.

6. Rancid

Oh, Lord. I will let others explain it. Afraid if I do I might start a war.

CZ Newb and PANDEMIC like this.
  7. Mr. Wick

Mr. Wick Active Member

8. Rancid

9. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

You get a better “lighter” trigger pull with a SA gun (1911’s and “double action” revolvers can be shot in “single action”).... striker fired guns tend to have a heavier trigger

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    primer1 and PANDEMIC like this.
  10. Rifling82

11. Rancid

This is a VERY informative video for a newbie!
    It covers the bases, but not all of them.

It does not mention that you will never find a sweeter trigger than that of a good 1911 ... and some will even debate this.

It does not get into which is the safest gun to carry. ... and this is an on-going debate that will go on for eternity. Many will disagree with me, some vehemently, but I do not consider any striker-fired gun safe to carry with a round in the chamber. I also do not advocate fully trusting the safety on ANY gun ... even a "cocked and locked" 1911, and to many these are fighting words. I carry my 1911 with the hammer DOWN and in the "half-cock" notch ... and can thumb-cock the gun upon drawing every bit as fast as I can thumb down its safety ... and to many I am committing sacrilege with these words.

Mr. Wick, I am going to tune out from this thread now, just not interested in getting involved in the arguments that will surely follow. You will just have to wade through the ensuing barrage of opinions and make up your own mind. My personal mind is made up, carved in granite, and no amount of others' opinions will ever change it, so I have no interest in even seeing them.

7point62, primer1 and Rifling82 like this.
  12. Mr. Wick

Mr. Wick Active Member

Thank you very much for the input.

13. Rifling82

I think YOU would like the Q5 better being new to handguns ... but if it was me I’d pick the Kimber

14. Rancid

You are more than welcom, Mr. Wick.
    Shooters are usually very strong in their opinions about these things, and debates about these subjects seldom end well. I am just not interested in re-living the intense back-and-forth regarding them.

15. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

r. Wick, my reply was ihn response to your question, a choice beyween only two pistols. Of the two manufacturers, I like Kimber more from my personal experience with both manufacturers. Pros and cons with firearms, just like spouses. But, in my experience, it's easier and cheaper to trade pistols than spouses if you get one that doesn't suit you.

primer1 and Rifling82 like this.
  16. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

I have both the Kimber and Walther PPQ which is what the Q5 is based on. I love them both but they are very different firearms. I like a nice crisp trigger that breaks like an icicle and the single action Kimber does that very well. The PPQ has an excellent trigger for a striker fired pistol but its a bit heavier and not quite the same. I might stick the Kimber in my belt if I were rushed but I would never do that with the PPQ. Both have proven to e superbly accurate, capacity wise the Kimber 9 tops, the PPQ 15 to 18.
    Start with one get the other later on it really depends on the intended use.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    Rifling82 likes this.
  17. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Rancid is correct that many gun owners have their own preferences with regard to action types and hammers vs strikers, as well as polymer vs metal frames.

I have run pistols of most action types. I have my own preferences depending on what I’m using the pistol for.

I like 1911s for range use and bullseye competitions.
    I like partially staged striker fire pistols Or DA/SA pistols for run and gun competitions.
    I carry DA/SA pistols for defense.

I’m not a fan of fully staged striker fired pistols.

Many folks who will be vehemently against or vehemently for striker fired pistols won’t know that there are significant trigger/action types in striker fired pistols. Some think every striker fired pistol is like a Glock, others think they are all like a Walther PPQ. I like an oddball striker fired pistol which is DA/SA like a hammer fired DA/SA.

What's the difference? Trigger travel, pull weight and position of the striker when the pistol is “at rest”.

Glock runs a partly staged striker. This means the striker sits at a sort of half cocked position and the trigger has to be pulled a decent distance to completely cock the striker before firing. This gets criticized for having creep and not feeling crisp. Others see the weight and trigger travel as a safety feature.

Striker fired pistols that have seemed to become most popular for their, light crisp, triggers and short resets, use a fully staged striker. When the pistol is at rest, the striker is fully cocked. Little travel or weight is needed to be applied to the trigger to get it to fire. People like them because they are easy to shoot. But that comes at a penalty for carry safety in the opinion of many (myself included).

Lots of folks don’t know a double action/single action striker fired pistol exists. But they do, they just aren’t super common. They aren’t as popular because they don’t run a race gun trigger. Many shooters find DA/SA harder to get used to and requiring more practice to get good at. Many folks just give up on them because they want easy right out of the box.
    The first trigger pull is longer and heavier because the striker at rest is completely un-staged. After the pistol is fired, the striker is fully cocked for all subsequent shots. Safer for carry, less likely to discharge when not intended on that first shot and follow up shots are easy, once you’ve committed to firing.

but most folks don’t talk about the differences in striker fired pistols, but just lump them all together.

I think most handguns have their place. Hammer fired, striker fired, metal, polymer, SA, or DA.

when someone asks What to get, I usually ask, what they want to use it for.

Dearhunter and Rifling82 like this.
  18. Mr. Wick

Mr. Wick Active Member

Man your guy's responses are really helping me to learn. Thank you all. Can't wait for my CCW Class.

19. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

I don't disagree with any of that Doc which is why I stated I would never just shove my PPQ in my belt because the striker is fully staged and 5.5. lbs makes it go bang! However in a proper holster this is an awesome weapon.

SSGN_Doc likes this.
  20. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

I am an old guy, and I like my old gun. 1911.
    However, I think people who carry them on Half-cock are rank amateurs or fools.

7point62, PeeJay1313 and AgedWarrior like this.