Which Gun...To the dying end?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Rampco88, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Rampco88

Rampco88 New Member

Always had this idea after going on a call as a beat cop years ago where a WWII Vet passed away in his bed. His son informed me that when we moved his dad's body, a loaded gun would be found under his pillow. Sure enough a well worn, loaded S&W M&P .38 special was right there. His son said his dad was a scrappy, tough SOB right to the end.

I figure when I get to an age where I'm not comfortable keeping my collection around - I'll par down to just one handgun for basically home protection or "under the pillow" security. The others will be passed on to my two sons, if still possible then??, to avoid any red tape issues, etc..

If such a scenario would occurr? Which "one gun" from your current collection would it be for you?

My choice: S&W 19-3 4" loaded with .38 +P's. Very accurate and easy to handle.

2. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

1911 - NHC loaded with Golden Sabers.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

My edc the glock 20 with frangible rounds.

5. potentialglock

potentialglock New Member

My 1911 loaded with Hornady Critical Defense

6. Intheshop

Intheshop New Member

Tough choice between G-Father's pre A1 1911....and a 4" "early model",629 with professional action job?

7. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I would want it to be my GP100 but I suspect it would be too heavy for me to lift if I were weak with illness.

8. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Gun? Rather it'll be the AK 47 to the end.

9. potentialglock

potentialglock New Member

That's nor exactly a pillow gun

10. eldarbeast

eldarbeast New Member

You haven't seen his pillows...

eldar

11. AR10

AR10 New Member

Self defence is all about the vibrant living. The end of old age, one protects what exactly?

The scene from Troy, where old ruler sneaks into the attacking army's tent with no weapons is more realistic in many ways.

If you fight for nothing at the end, maybe you fought for nothing your whole life?

All responces should be measured and approximate.

I should hope my last moments would not be contemplating or preparing for the demise of others, but rather the joys that have filled my life. I hope my final hour is spent as far as possible from law and order issues that consume our lives, and I can settle into the dust at peace with myself, and everyone else.
    In life, I act responsibly with my G20, and in death, I will have place my firearms into other responsible hands to continue on my traditions.

Under my pillow? How about a photo of my Mother. That will be all the protection and comfort I will require.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  12. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Gotta agree with Rampco88, my S&W 19-3, 4", loaded with whatever I have left.

13. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

the same gun that has been on my night stand for 43 years. My 1935A French long, a pistol my father brought back from WWII. He gave it to me when I was 21. It's been with me this long, I suppose it can stay till the end. My son has already requested it and it will go to him.

14. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

That's a tough question. My grandfather passed back in July, and his .38 was in his hospice room till the end. He couldn't have used it if he had to, but knowing it was there was enough for him. I don't really know what i'd have at that point, but I'd guess it would need to be something I could still control at a fragile old age. My G30 has been with me since I was 22, so I am partial to it. But I have a Colt Trooper Mark III that was given to me years ago that I wouldn't sell for anything. Perhaps my AR on a swivel platform mounted to the bed rails?

15. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

I 'spose I'd LIKE it to be an S&W 686 Plus 7-shot 5" .357 K-Frame, but, it'll probably be my S&W 36-1 5-shot heavy-barreled 3" .38 Special +P J-Frame.
    :(

Unless I'm lucky enough to go in the blink of an eye soon!
    :)

Hey, wait a minute...
    :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  16. tshoot91

tshoot91 New Member

I have been told that this was the initial reason behind the "body pillow". ;)

17. canebrake

canebrake New Member

My dad's Ithaca M1911A1.

18. Punisher56

Punisher56 New Member

Wow, great to see some wheel gun lovers. Mine will be my 3" S&W 19:D