Which gun is better for the night stand?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by alcoulter, Feb 18, 2013.

1. alcoulter

alcoulter New Member

Which do think is better to have next to you at night for home protection. A low capacity .45 auto (Springfield XDS 5+1) or a high capacity .9mm (Taurus 24/7 Pro 17+1)? Your thoughts are appreciated.

2. gunlinn

gunlinn New Member

I know it won't fit in the night stand,,,, but always been a fan of a shotgun for home defense. But choosing from your question I go with the 9 mm. I like the idea of having more rounds in a low light situation, bettering your chances of impacting the target....

3. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

It is better to have more opportunities in a crisis.

4. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

for home protection where concealment is not a concern, the firearm with which one uses should not be based on caliber,size, or ammunition capacity. but IMHO that you should use whatever firearm you are most comfortable with, and that you can place the most rounds on target. regardless if thats a pistol, shotty or AR15. but, going back to your two choices, go with the 9mm.

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i would have to also agree with the shotgun being the best choice, but of the two pistols listed, which one are you more comfortable and more familiar with? magazine capacity and caliber size are irrelevent if you can't operate the pistol in the dark, under less than ideal conditions. simpler is much better.

6. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

A good .38 revolver. Smaller 9mm. They're all good but the .45 is not my HD preference. Mine has been a 9mm-Makarov-chambered 8+1 Makarov or 6+1 P-64 after I put the 5-shot S&W in the safe.

7. alcoulter

alcoulter New Member

Thanks for the responses, I like the point of having more opportunities in the dark. I guess 17 rounds and hitting half of the shots in the dark is better than 100% of the shots with a 6 round .45.

8. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

A compact or full size 9mm is good for HD, nice capacity and not too heavy that its tough to wield. But you would really need the right ammo for HD with a 9mm. FMJ is not the best although you CAN make it work but a good PD round is always better.

9. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

A shotgun is the best under most situations. I keep 2 Colt 1911's, a Browning HD shotgun with buckshot and an AR 15 with 52gr HP's. Of your choices 9mm for sure.

10. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

When u say 100% of the .45 shots do you mean they are hitting or missing? If hitting, I disagree completely. If missing, I would not want stray .45's sailing around...

11. alcoulter

alcoulter New Member

I mean the chances of me hitting an intruder(s) with all 6 rounds of the .45 are slim to none in a situation, but I see your point about the damage 6 .45 slugs could do to an intruder. Either way I agree; I don't want stray bullets flying around no matter which caliber.

12. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Woohoo! That one was mine.

13. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

It should be the gun you are most comfortable with and can handle in the dark.

14. mdauben

mdauben New Member

How about a high capacity (13+1) .45 like my Glock 21? ;)

If the choice was the two you mentioned I would probably go hi-cap 9mm. IMO with modern premium JHPs the 9mm is almost as good as the .45 and having three times as many rounds just tips the scale for me.

15. kirbinster

kirbinster New Member

I'll split the difference down the middle with my Glock G22, .40 cal with a 15 round mag of jhp.

16. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

As for the two choices, I'd suggest whichever of the two you are the most comfortable and accurate with. I keep my EDC on mine which for years was my Glock19 and now is my 1911(7shots) as I only own one pistol at the moment. In my wife's side, just in side the closet is her 20 gauge O/U, which is most familiar with of all my long guns.

17. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

I personally like the idea of more opportunities with a lethal round.

18. mcb

mcb New Member

In my opinion whatever you are most comfortable with. Practice, practice, practice, until shooting your pd weapon is second nature.

If I can't get to the Mossberg 500 mounted in my closet, I keep a S&W 686 in the nightstand.

19. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Which one do you shoot better?
    Take that one, put some night sights on it. Additionally, you might want to have a quality flashlight handy as well.

20. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

agree whatever you are comfortable and rehearsed with.

I have some really tight hallway spaces in my house that make a legal shotgun kind of hard to navigate, especially in the dark. My plan 'A' relys on .40 S&W