Which grain?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by DickTheNickhead, Jul 6, 2013.

1. DickTheNickhead

DickTheNickhead New Member

Okay...I'm not really going to ask this question because I KNOW it has been covered somewhere else on this forum, I just can't find it. Someone please direct me to it if you can..

My question is, which grain .223/5.56 should I be shooting if my use is for 100 yard range fun and home defense?
    Thanks..

So far my only understanding about ammo is that heavier grains are more ideal for longer range shooting...
    Maybe I'm wrong. Even if I'm right, I'm sure there's more to it than that..

2. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Shoot whichever is cheapest.
    This will generally be 55 gr FMJ.

Some will ask you what your rifling is; 1 in 7 or 1 in 9, but despite a lot of internet hot air, real world testing has shown that 55gr groups equally in 1 in 7 and 1 in 9 barrels, though it is theoretically more at home in 1 in 9 barrels.

The other common grain the 62 gr is often slightly more expensive and offers a dubious penetration advantage in some applications but likely not in yours.

69 and greater grain match rounds exist, but usually you will take full advantage of them in 1 in 7 barrels (though some 1 in 9's like the Ruger barrels seem to do great up until 77 gr which is hard to explain)

3. Quentin

Quentin New Member

It depends. You're too vague now, need to give much more information.

4. DickTheNickhead

DickTheNickhead New Member

16" mid length gas. 1:7 twist. BCM upper.
    And I want it for use for home defense and fun at the range at about 100 yards..

What other information should I give to get a better idea on which grain would be ideal?

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

the wife and i use 55grain hornady vmax and 62grain milsurp greentip ss109 for home defense. the vmax is nasty and and about as guarenteed a first shot stop as any rifle can be. the ss109 is in case we need to shoot through a barrier (not likely to be needed). we both have bcm 1:7 twist barrels.

6. Quentin

Quentin New Member

JonM's answer will do very nicely for you. For home defense consider penetration, as in going through walls to hurt innocents, so give thought to what he said. With 1/7" twist, at the range you'll be able to use anything from 52gr on up to 80+.

7. therewolf

therewolf New Member

AFAIK-the .223 ammo originally used 40 to 55 grain bullets.

The 5.56 military ammo used 55 to 80 grain bullets.

with the more aggressive twist rates, such as 1:7 or

1:9, the heavier grain ammo works better.

The lighter ammo is better for the 1:12 and 1:10 twist rates.

Case in point: I have an upper with a 22"-1:7 barrel, so I seek

60-80 grain ammo, which is currently hard to find.

Some folks are claiming the 40 grain ammo breaks up,

or starts keyholing prematurely; in the longer barrels with

1:7 twist rates.

These days you are seeing ".223/5.56" listed right on the ammo

box in many instances, so the differences in the two ammo types

is beginning to get somewhat blurred.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  8. JonM

JonM Moderator

one other thing if you cant find vmax grab the hornady zombie ammo its the exact same thing with a green tip instead of red. i just prefer the red tip vmax since at a very quick glance i know what ammo is in the mag.

9. bfoosh006

bfoosh006 New Member

With your 1n7 twist you have a ton of good choices...
    Here are my suggestions.

Home defense only...
    http://www.sgammo.com/product/speer/20-round-box-223-rem-speer-gold-dot-64-grain-golddot-soft-point-ammo-24448 ... if you can find it, buy it
    or...
    http://www.sgammo.com/product/winchester/20-rds-556mm-bonded-winchester-ranger-64gr-jsp-ammo-ra556b

Both of those will get'er done for the home part.

Range fodder.... Fed. XM193... will serve well at the range for blasting ammo.... as well as a "Fair" HD round if you had to.
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ammunition/rifle-ammunition/223-5-56/federal-xm193bk-5-56-1000rd-case.html

More range fodder... except cheap... cheap to me means, It goes bang every pull of the trigger and has a good reputation, .223 55gr ammo.
    PMC Bronze, Fed. American Eagle, Fiocchi, Remington UMC, Winchester USA .

Very cheap.... ( not really a fan, but 10's of thousands shooters are ) Wolf , Tula in that order. ( Tula can be underpowered. )

I have not included Prvi. because I have not ever bought any.

10. CGS

CGS New Member

At 100 yard it doesn't really matter much unless you're trying to put the bullet through the same hole twice. In general the 70's shoot well in the 1:7, 60's in the 1:8, and 50's in the 1:9. However any rate of turn will shoot any of these grain ammo.

http://chicagogunsmith.com/blog/ar15-barrel-options-definitions/40/

11. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I only worry about it more because I have the longer 1/7 barrel-22".

55 grain shoots fine from my rifle though, and the rifle is still more

accurate than me, with 55 grain.