Which glock ???

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by 6shootersandw, Feb 11, 2012.

1. 6shootersandw

6shootersandw New Member

I love revolvers but I want to get a good semi automatic. After watching youtube videos about many Glocks I am down to three. Glock 19, 23, or the 21. But which one should I get? The 19 is a great gun and ammo is cheaper between the 3. The 21 a little bit expensive for shooting and the 23 is right in the middle. If anyone can help I would appreciate it. Thanks!:)

2. msup752

msup752 New Member

I have owned all three. I'm back to a 19 4th gen and it is a keeper. I switched from the .45 due to a cost issue and the size/capacity advantages. I can shoot almost twice as much with the 19 (I reload) than the .45 so I get lots of practice with my carry gun.

3. 6shootersandw

6shootersandw New Member

Thanks. What's is the difference between the regular 19 and the 4th gen 19?

4. msup752

msup752 New Member

4th gen has a dual stage recoil spring to better tame recoil, the mag release is switchable for left and right handed shooters, the texture is different and, IMO better, and there are different size back straps to fit to different sized hands. Hopefully I didn't miss anything.
    There was some fussing about reliability of the first gen4's but i got mine last fall and have 2000 rounds through it without a failure. Whatever the original issue, it was fixed by Glock. I have the gen3 G17 and the upgrade differences are nice.

5. flea2107

flea2107 New Member

The G23 makes a nice conceal weapon and as you said the cost is in the middle for ammo. There has been a voluntary recall to switch out the recoil springs on some of gen4's, got an email late last year about it. I still have the original recoil spring in mine and it still shoots great, never a problem.

6. 6shootersandw

6shootersandw New Member

What ammo do you recommend?

7. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

Op, I'd get the 19. It's an all around great gun. Ammo is friendlier on the pocket book. For range/plinking the Winchester white box you get at walmart is perfect. About $23-$25 for 100rnds. Or the federal fmjs are pretty nice too. For home/self defense I'd go with some 147gn jhp. Brand wise for the jhp- double tap, buffalo bore, federal hydra shock....there's a lot of good stuff out there

8. flea2107

flea2107 New Member

For target ammo I use the FMJ 165 grain Winchester, white box from Walmart, it's like $29-$32/ 100 rounds last time I bought. Gotta pick some up tomorrow so I will see if the price has gone up. Bass ProShop just seems to be priced a couple bucks more. For carry and home protection I use a JHP 185 grain. Bought the JHP with the gun last year at a gun show, I don't remember how much I paid.

9. glockcoma

glockcoma New Member

Get the 23 and a conversion barrel from lone wolf a 40-9. Then you can shoot both 40cal & 9mm. All you need is 9mm mags. In my opinion later on dwn the line you might want a little more gun, not that theres anything wrong with the 9, i have a glock 17 that i love to death and never will i get rid of. But my 23 is my favorite. And if you go with the 19 you wont be able to go up in caliber with a conversion only dwn to a 22. So imho the 23 would fit both roles and do it well.

10. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

i love my 19 and would highly recommend it too anyone.

11. Quentin

Quentin New Member

This is an excellent point and is the main reason I chose a G23 last year. The LW conversion barrel is $100 and then all you need are magazines. I assume you can use the factory RSA but if it gives you trouble with 9mm you could buy the 9mm RSA. Still cheap to have a gun that fires 40S&W and 9mm with a 1 minute parts swap. (I haven't bought the conversion barrel yet.)

12. glockcoma

glockcoma New Member

I haven't bought the conversion barrel yet either, but have a friend that has the 9mm conversion that runs flawless with the factory RSA, so it shouldnt be a problem. But i do plan on buying the 357 sig barrel for my 23 since i have no need for another 9 i already have the 17. YEAH BUDDY :)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012