Which Glock for Concealed Carry?

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by feedsasquatch, Jun 12, 2009.

1. feedsasquatch

feedsasquatch New Member

So, I'm getting my concealed carry in 4 weeks. I currently own a G23 and am considering getting a G26, G30, or G36 for concealed carry. I don't want to get a G27. I'm 6'2", and weigh 140lbs, so concealing a gun isn't going to be the easiest thing...

- Would the extra 8 ounces make carrying the G30 a pain? I don't want to buy a gun to carry if I don't feel like carrying it because of its size or weight.

- I have yet to fire a Glock .45 ACP, is the recoil similar to the G23? The G23 is just barely manageable for me.

- Since most engagements take place at close range, is it better to go with a G26 that I can fire fast that has 12 rounds with a +2 extension or a G36 that carries a bigger punch?

- Also, I've heard that the G36 has some reliability issues compared to other Glocks, is that true? Specifically, that if you don't hold them with a death grip you get lots of stovepipes...

2. fxstchewy

fxstchewy New Member

I like to CCW my G26 with the 10 rd mag, back-up G19 mag. I can conceal the 26 easily and know one knows the wiser.

3. sjones

sjones New Member

What the second poster said,thats me too.sj

4. wolfshead

wolfshead New Member

I carry a Glock 36 .45 ACP at 4:30 in an IWB MTAC holster.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I got this Glock about a month ago and it is a new generation Glock from what the dealer tells me. The issues that the older Glock 36s had have been resolved in this one.

I have tried it on the range, and I must admit that the recoil does seem a little more than a 9mm Glock that I trained on. However, it isn't too much that you can't control. You need to know the right grip so your hand doesn't waiver too much while shooting.

My defensive ammo is Federal Hydrashocks .45 auto 230gr JHP, my range ammo is Magtech FMC .45 ACP. I ordered Cor-bon .45 ACP +P ammo but it still hasn't arrived.

Concealment is great with the Glock 36 even in the summer. No one can tell even with a thin cotton shirt and jeans.
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/gallery/data/500/medium/conceal_a.jpg
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/gallery/data/500/medium/conceal_b.jpg

5. feedsasquatch

feedsasquatch New Member

I'm going to try and find a range that carries the Glock 36 sometime this week. I was able to find some .45 ACP at WalMart... If I can handle the recoil, I might go with it instead of the G26. They both look to be about the same size, so the main thing will be recoil, and how many rounds the G26 has over the G36.

6. General_lee

General_lee New Member

Hi feedsasquatch, I can't offer much help as to what glock to buy...i don't have a glock..yet.
    This is in response to your concerns with the recoil.
    Of course, you have to get what's comfortable for you.
    But in a defensive situation (armed intruder, etc.) recoil will be the LAST thing on your mind.

7. Yunus

Yunus New Member

I fired a Glock .45 (I don't remember which model), normally I shoot a G22 (.40) I was surprised at how little difference there was between the two calibers, I thought the .45 would be more of a knock your wrist around kick but it was quite manageable although it was more than the .40 but not drastically.

8. feedsasquatch

feedsasquatch New Member

I was able to shoot a Glock 30 just over a week ago. I found the recoil to be LESS than the .40 because it was more of a "push" than an upwards "snap." I'd like to shoot a G36 some time to see how I like it, the G30 was surprisingly manageable...

9. feedsasquatch

feedsasquatch New Member

I went with a Colt Combat Commander (1911). It the same length, but is much thinner and is easier for me to conceal as it isn't chunky like a Glock or Springfield XD...

10. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Not to mention he shoots like champ with it. :D

Of course, that is not really anything new to us 1911 guys. :rolleyes:

JD

11. Ram Rod

Ram Rod New Member

If the G23 works well for you, then your best options would be a G27 (same ammo/recoil/accuracy), or a G19 (same size and feel). My opinion.

12. feedsasquatch

feedsasquatch New Member

Ramrod, you didn't read my last post... I went with a COLT Combat Commander. My first time shooting it 100% of my shots were 5" groupings. I still can't do that with my Glock 23 at 7 yards...

13. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

And he shoots better with the 1911 than with Gaston's abortion...

That should count for something here.... :eek:

JD

14. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

LOL. You guys just crapped all over the glocks with the 1911 worship, again.

I could shoot better with a 1911 the first time than I could with my xd that I had hundreds of rounds through, that says something to me. ;)

Nothing wrong with glocks though. Two of my friends carry the Glock 30 .45acp concealed.

15. BuddyL

BuddyL New Member

John Moses made the HiPower because he wasn't satisifed with the the 1911, wonder why, maybe because it takes 500 rounds for the thingy to work right,if your lucky. The Glock 36 is THE only .45 carry gun worth mentioning.
    Do I know how to live dangerous or not.:D

16. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

HOLY CRAP!! You just put on a pink tootoo and walked into a Hells Angels Bar bro!!! :D

17. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

WTH? And from an Oklahoma boy, no less? Education gone wrong. :confused: ;)

Jack

18. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

Do you even have ANY experience with 1911s? It sure don't sound like it. You sound like you need to read up some more, possibly even shoot different kinds of guns, then come back and MAYBE we'll have an intelligent conversation. :D

19. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

To each their own guys. I've met lots of people who just don't like 1911's having tried them and all.

20. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

No dude - The design of the Hi Power STARTED with John Browning around the 9x19mm platform.

He never finished the design before he died.

Even if he did, it would have been the ultimate 9mm platform.

This pistol WAS NEVER intended to replace the 1911. The 1911 is perfect for the .45 ACP Platform.

Instead it was finished by a guy under contract with FN.

My god man, if you are going to knock a pistol that has over 100 years of military service, at least get your facts right.

EPIC FAIL!

JD

PS - Oh wait, you carry a Glock?? *smacking head* No wonder. That explains it..... nevermind. :rolleyes: