Which for IDPA? More questions.....

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting' started by Gojubrian, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

They do IDPA matches here in Springdale at Sturms. I'm thinking of joining up and shooting with them.

I need a few things first.

1. Good quality semi auto
    2. extra magazines
    3. holster and mag holster
    4. Lots of ammo

5.practice practice practice!!!

I have the kimber I could use, but shooting the .45 alot gets expensive and I don't reload. I really don't want to either. :nono:

I'm thinking about a cz sp01 or phantom OR a smith and wesson M&P? Stick with 9mm?? I have about 400rds of 40 already, but that can disappear in a hurry.

hk's and sigs are out, no more xd's, no hi points,etc....

Does anyone here shoot there? Anyone want to?

Any tips or suggestions from competitors?

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

A "friend" runs the local IDPA club and 9mm plastic is a very popular choice - light and cheap to shoot. So far, I'm impressed with the M&P I just got but it's early as well - I may tire of it. You'll want something that has cheap mags and cheap accessories - maybe a Glock?

3. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I won't own a glock,even for a day. :p

Thanks! 9mm plastic................I'll be thinking on this. Keep us posted on how you like the M&P :)

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

5. russ

russ New Member

I like my M&P, but mags are spendy.

I love my CZ75B, and Mec-Gar mags are not spendy.

This is just my opinion, so it's worth exactly diddly squat, but I would think the extra weight of a metal framed gun would be an advantage for a recoil dissipation in an environment like IDPA or IPSC. But I've never shot any type of competition either, further making my opinion worth nada. :D

6. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Not even for a day? :eek: NGIB has been very successful owning pistols for only a day.

7. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

How about an Sp01? :) cz's are sweet!!!

Hmmmmmmm.........
    Thanks for the input.

8. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

I love my sp01!
    Heavy pistol, good bit of weight up front with the rail. Points and fits me just like my 1911. Shoots very flat, really no muzzle flip at all.
    Its almost cheating.
    Almost;)

9. NGIB

NGIB New Member

While I do not shoot IDPA, I do know that it's focus is on a gun you'd carry every day. The scenarios they present are common defensive situations so long barrels and steel frames are not necessarily an advantage. My buddy Silentghost has shot a lot of IDPA matches and he used the Kimber Ultra Carry which was also the gun he carried every day (until I got it away from him). The goal as I see it is to improve your skill with your carry gun - so what kind of gun will you carry?

The other shooting venues like IPSC and USPSA tend to focus on more specialty types of guns and in many cases specialty loads as well. The one nice thing about IDPA is it focuses on the equipment you probably already have if you do carry a gun - like holsters, mag carriers, extra mags and so forth. If I were to start IDPA, I'd most likely use that same Kimber that served SG so well as it's the gun I carry and I have all the stuff for it already...

10. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Very true. As an active trader I keep an eye on what folks want. I really wanted the Tac Ops my buddy had and I knew I could get a trade together using the Glock as part of the package - hence I bought the 26 as it was priced right.

Over the years I've had a 19, 21, 23, 26, and 27 for short periods. I had the 21 the longest, probably 2 months as I really tried to "like" it but I just didn't shoot it well so it went away...

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  11. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

IDPA is a GAME. A game that makes great practice.

A M&PL with a trigger job is better than a pro. I'm running a G34 with some lone wolf and Warren tactical upgrades.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  12. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

After talking with the guy that judges the matches I've decided to go with a CZ SP 01 Tactical. I'm on the hunt, but most places are out of order or way overpriced.

13. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Some CZ's are not IDPA legal.

14. wb_carpenter

wb_carpenter New Member

The primise of IDPA may be to use your "carry gun" but go to one and try to find one person doing so(you wont).

I shoot a M&P9 compact and you would think I walked in there with 5 arms. Guys just cant figure out why I would shoot a compact:rolleyes:.

15. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Which ones? How about the CZ SP 01 Tactical? I couldn't find any info out there?? :confused:

16. utf59

utf59 New Member

Here's a link to the rules: http://idpa.com/Documents/IDPARuleBook2005.pdf.

They don't mention legal/illegal guns by model; they list things that a gun can and can't have (e.g., ported barrels). They also list minimum unit production of the gun and that it has to fit in a certain sized box.

17. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Perhaps that is so where you are, not at the events in my area. Personally, I think it's kind of silly to shoot a defensive pistol scenario with a gun you don't carry...