Which Design is Most User-Friendly?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by jd45, Jul 13, 2011.

1. jd45

jd45 New Member

Hello to all! A friend of mine's son is applying for guard on an armored truck. She says they're gonna require him to use a .45 caliber weapon, (autoloader, I presume) which he doesn't have. He's only had experience with his Ruger 9mm. I'm wondering which platform will best enable him to come home alive at the end of his shift, should he have to use it during the course of his duties. I know he'll have to practice & become very familiar with whatever he chooses. But I guess my question is which technology available now will give him an "edge"? Thanx for your feedback, jd45

2. orangello

orangello New Member

I have found my XD45 to be easy to use and as accurate as i need. It holds 13+1 rounds. IMO, the son should go try a few different pistols to see which he can use the easiest & most accurately.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

I feel safe with a good solid colt 1911. Its what i will be legally carrying in november. Carried one in the army for a short bit before they switched us to the inferior m9

4. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

I prefer a 1911, but If I had to choose the least complicated design to learn on it might be an XD/Glock/M&P style pistol. No grip safety to worry about depressing correctly, no safety to worry about, and nothing to snag.

JUST KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER!!

Many of the ADs with Glock type weapons are user error and were really NDs!

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

If he wants to go steel, a Colts model O1980XSE 8+1 round Government would be the way to go.

If poly is his choice, go with the Springfield Armory XD45

Attached Files:

6. neilage66

neilage66 New Member

XD's have a 1911 style grip safety.
    [​IMG]

7. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

HA, and I own two!! I must be tired. Got yourself a thumbs up!!
    I guess that just shows you, the grip safety on the XD is so comfortable and easy to disengage that you forget its there, literally!

[​IMG]

8. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

I also would suggest a XD45/S&W/H&K, me personaly I have never like the Glock but some people swear by them. You might even look at a Sig P220, my wife love's mine carries it instead of her Glock 19 I got her. Go figure.

9. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Around here, many LEO's carry the Sig P220.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  10. neilage66

neilage66 New Member

More coffee? ;)

11. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I would recommend that he go to some gun shops to compare the various .45's out there, and if there are gun ranges with rental programs I would try some of them out. Some of the .45's I recommend are a Colt or Springfield 1911, XD(m) .45, Glock 21, and Sig Saurer P220.

12. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

As far as spendier guns, you'd start with 1911s, then Sig P220, and then maybe have a look at H&K.

But if he wants something simpler and more affordable, there are a number of good polymer options. I like Springfield XD/XDm. But Glock, SW M&P, or FNP would also be fine duty options. In my mind these guns are equally reliable and have many similar traits. Just pick the one that offers the best fit and features for the individual shooter.

13. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

The only thing that I hate about renting guns to try them is, I want to take them home afterwards!

But you are right that is the best way to find some thing you will like.

14. jd45

jd45 New Member

Thanx for the feedback, guys........we have shops that offer rentals. Good suggestion! I will give him this website & have him read all your replies, as well. jd45

15. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

He doesn't have the job yet, so he probably does not have all the facts.

Again we don't have all the facts because he has not been hired and put through training yet.

I have worked in 8 states in my travels, several cities, for a few years. I also dated a gal who worked as a dispatcher for Dunbar Armored, so I have a little bit of information to offer.

Armored Truck companies usually issue a weapon to their employees, or they make a couple of different models available on a payroll deduct basis.

A six shot revolver in .38/.357 is quite common. Glock is VERY common for the obvious reasons (cost, ease of use, ease of negligence not affecting performance, etc.).

I haven't studied too many armored car companies, don't let the clever screen name fool you ;), but I have never seen an armored car guard with a custom sidearm like an H&K or a 1911.

I would say and wait and don't do anything until he actually gets the job, gets the 4-1-1 from the company itself and consider buying him the best bullet proof vest on the market instead.

Statistics show, hands down, that armored car guards are 3 times more likely to be shot at/have a weapon pointed at them, then to actually fire their weapon themselves.

Just food for thought. :cool:

JD

16. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

Sig 220, their is very little to no break in period, very accurate out the box, every thing is easy to get to with just the thumb, low recoil, reliable and dependable, 8+1 capacity, and good weight. I have a p220 carry, awesome gun. I would put it again any other .45 that I have or had: Colt, Springfield Armory, Para Ordinance, Star, H&K, S&W, and definitely a Don't like Kimber and I'm not talking about basic model pistols. I like it enough that I am in the process of getting full size 220. The one I got will shoot 2.5" or smaller all day.

17. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

Good luck, keep us posted on what he decideds to get.

18. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

Alot of LEO's around here carried the P220, until they went to the Glock. They were not happy about the change. I can not blame them.

19. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I will have to chime in and give my thoughts.

I am going to go with a Smith and Wesson M&P45.

Attached Files:

20. jd45

jd45 New Member

He's goin for the interview Monday morning. We'll see what happens......lots of good suggestions here, including the body armor, which I hadn't thought of. I'll keep you posted. Thanx again, jd45