Firearms Talk banner
61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Banned
0 Posts
Then why do brand new pistols including but not limited to 1911s come already polished? It runs smoother and is easier to clean.
with the exception of my SA XDm40, none of my other pistols have polished feed ramps. the XDm is the only one out all my pistols that even has anything that remotely looks like it's polished.

all of my 1911's and all my pistols run plenty smooth and are not difficult to clean.

so have you come up with some type of scientific measurement that quantifies that one runs smoother and is easier to clean because it has a polished feed ramp? because if not, that's strictly an personal opinion and not a fact.

·
Banned
0 Posts
My sig 1911 is polished my fnp45 and fns9 are polished. It's pretty common. Hell m9s have a chrome lined chamber.
none of my 1911's have polished feed ramps. they feed everything i put through them.

i have a Remington R1 Enhanced, a SA Loaded Micro Compact 45 and a AC Commander, and none have polished feed ramps from the factory and all feed ammo just perfectly.

so what is your point? mine is made.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Not saying its required. My glocks and German sigs don't have it and run fine. But they wouldn't have started doing it if it was somehow beneficial.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Not saying its required. My glocks and German sigs don't have it and run fine. But they wouldn't have started doing it if it was somehow beneficial.
if the factory does it fine. i am a gun enthuiast and a DIYer when it comes to firarms, not an engineer. but i have been around them a few years and have learned a few things over the years. and polishing feed ramps would be one of the last things i would resort to fixing a feed problem. most i have fixed in past were done with either going to different ammo or going to higher quality magazines, not polishing the feed ramps. i have probably polished maybe two or three in the past 25 years that helped with a feed issue.

·
Banned
2,820 Posts
Then why do brand new pistols including but not limited to 1911s come already polished? It runs smoother and is easier to clean.
Is it really polished or is it just machined to create the feed ramp? I vote for machined.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Yes they are polished all 3 I listed. The stainless is visibly polished right up to the finish on the FN's and the sig is match grade with all the bells and whistles.

·
Banned
2,820 Posts
Match grade? Yeah, they're polished. Sorry. My Sig is machined. Very well machined, but not polished like I have seen on others. So far it's been flawless, but it's not match grade.

·
Banned
0 Posts
with the exception of my XDm all mine are machined and feed perfectly. the XDm does appear polished though and the barrel is considered match grade as well.

IMO, i just don't advocate polishing feed ramps as the first option in fixing feed issues. i am not saying it won't fix a feed issue, but it's not where i would start to fix the problem, but the last resort. polishing feed ramps by a DIYer who really doesn't know they are doing can cause more problems than it solves.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I actually was a little skeptical being a German company making an American pistol even though they are manufactured in the us. But I love it its oh so smooth. And I have 4 guns from FN and love them all too.

·
Registered
229 Posts
axxe55 said:
with the exception of my XDm all mine are machined and feed perfectly. the XDm does appear polished though and the barrel is considered match grade as well.

IMO, i just don't advocate polishing feed ramps as the first option in fixing feed issues. i am not saying it won't fix a feed issue, but it's not where i would start to fix the problem, but the last resort. polishing feed ramps by a DIYer who really doesn't know they are doing can cause more problems than it solves.
I have seen an instance on a 1911 where it helped it feed HP ammo. Not saying your wrong just my one experience that happened to help. Not trying to argue. You probably have more experience than me I'm still a youngster to gunsmithing.

·
Banned
0 Posts
I have seen an instance on a 1911 where it helped it feed HP ammo. Not saying your wrong just my one experience that happened to help. Not trying to argue. You probably have more experience than me I'm still a youngster to gunsmithing.
well in over 25 years of owning 1911's since the first one, and have probably owned over 30 in that time, would you like to guess how many of them got polished feed ramps?

i'll give you a hint. it's less than one! in almost thirt years of owning pistols, i have maybe polished two pistols feed ramps to fix feed issues. i have had one 1911 that i had to have the chamber polished to feed ammo with full lead bullets. at that time i used a lot of cast lead bullet ammo for practice. i haven't used cast lead bullets in many years now.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Hey Axxe, how do you know if the feed ramp is polished or not?

·
Banned
0 Posts
Hey Axxe, how do you know if the feed ramp is polished or not?
most have pretty shiny appearance to them. with some of the better machining tools they are using today on firearms, it can sometimes be hard to tell. if i had to guess, most factory pistols are not going to have polished feed ramps.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
what about a Kimber TLE II?

·
Banned
0 Posts
what about a Kimber TLE II?
have no idea. not near as familiar with the Kimbers as i should be. but my guess, and this is strictly a guess, unless it was massaged by one of their builders, probably not.

machining techniques and tools are so much better than years ago. they can obtain much better finishing so polishing the feed ramps si not near as needed as years ago when the machining was much rougher.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Well now you have motivated me to pull it out and give it the much needed cleaning it needs. I will look at it closer and see if I can tell.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I don't see how this has become jumping down each others throat contest all of a sudden!! Isn't that why they have Facebook & MySpace kind of "social networks"? Anyway since it seems as if some of us obviously think they have seen & been a part of everyone's experience not to mention know it alls. It's given we need to be more specific about stuff & here I thought I had found a forum for grown ups.... Anyway yes polishing ramps is never the first resort & yes it's usually the last one. I've found most to already have went through all the other basic possibilities before they even start to bring most issues out to public! Thus it seemed to be a good idea not to repeat what everyone was already preaching & bring something new to the table for crying out loud! A common mistake made by this day & age is confusing part changes with good old fashion repairs I've seen many people often constantly replace many parts ( not counting the cheap first tries I.e. the mags or ammo) & are still left where they started most of those issues are often fixed by putting some good old fashion elbow grease into your weapon... If the manufacturers made all weapons the same they would all be super high end & there wouldn't be any difference between the match grade & regular factory finishes & I'm sure that wouldn't go well for their large corporate accounts...

·
Banned
0 Posts
I don't see how this has become jumping down each others throat contest all of a sudden!! Isn't that why they have Facebook & MySpace kind of "social networks"? Anyway since it seems as if some of us obviously think they have seen & been a part of everyone's experience not to mention know it alls. It's given we need to be more specific about stuff & here I thought I had found a forum for grown ups.... Anyway yes polishing ramps is never the first resort & yes it's usually the last one. I've found most to already have went through all the other basic possibilities before they even start to bring most issues out to public! Thus it seemed to be a good idea not to repeat what everyone was already preaching & bring something new to the table for crying out loud! A common mistake made by this day & age is confusing part changes with good old fashion repairs I've seen many people often constantly replace many parts ( not counting the cheap first tries I.e. the mags or ammo) & are still left where they started most of those issues are often fixed by putting some good old fashion elbow grease into your weapon... If the manufacturers made all weapons the same they would all be super high end & there wouldn't be any difference between the match grade & regular factory finishes & I'm sure that wouldn't go well for their large corporate accounts...
just out of curiosity, are you trying to make a point or muddy the waters?:confused:

61 - 80 of 80 Posts