Which colt for $1000-$2000

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by 2ndAmendmentFreedom, Apr 6, 2011.

1. 2ndAmendmentFreedom

2ndAmendmentFreedom New Member

Hey everyone,
    I'm looking to buy a Colt M1911 .45 and I'm hesitating between the XSE, Gold Cup and eventually special combat. Now I'm having a hard time determining which Gold Cup is best, there are so many variations and different series. I'm really looking for something reliable, made of carbon steel (stainless steel is ok I guess but I've heard it's a bit more prone to scratches), 5" coming with 8 round mags. I'm currently looking at the o1980xse / o1070xse, the impossible to find o5870cs and a special combat o1970cy because it fits my description and looks the best. I really want to get a Colt and I know that some people would recommend custom guns at this price point but I'm set on a Colt lol. I like adjustable sights and I really hate stock built in sights (I'm not sure how to call them), I also have mixed feelings about the look of front serrations. I would like to spend around $1500 and more only if worth it; I understand the world of diminishing returns.
    Any recommendations from experts are greatly appreciated!

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Does it have to be a Colt?
    There are other brands that may fit the bill and have the presentation look you want.

3. NGIB

NGIB New Member

4. 2ndAmendmentFreedom

That one is nice, I'll keep it in mind however I still prefer the markings of the colt by far.

5. danf_fl

It sounds like you have done your research.
    There is not much more we can provide. I personally do not like adjustable sights on my 1911's (they get abused so much). I do not have a "need" for front serations. I have no use for the Series 80 system that are in most Colts.

Now these are my opinions. Which Colt "fits" your needs?

6. 2ndAmendmentFreedom

I would get a series 70 based Colt. Yeah I guess it's really gonna come down to personal preference. But for instance my question would be, which gun comes with the best stock barrel, which one is has the best fit (I don't want wobbly slides etc)?

7. canebrake

canebrake New Member

The 05870CS blue model is not expected to be in production until late fall.

8. 2ndAmendmentFreedom

what do you think about the current stainless steel Gold Cup production model?

9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I'm partial to SS in my 1911's so my answer is obvious, me likie!

[​IMG]

My O1070XSE shoots better than me so I never considered a GC. Why spend the xtra $?

Shop around and you will find what you want. Quicker if you include used.

Try these guys, they carry a lot of NEW Colts;

Ozark Guns Colt 1911 45acp Pistols in stock ready to ship!

Or here;

Buy Colt Gold Cup Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

10. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I don't care for front slide serrations either. It's just a quirk of mine. Good luck on your quest and please keep us informed.

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

the original JMB design has some play in the slide to frame fit. it improves reliabilty and there may be a total of 5 people on the planet that will honestly benefit from tightening the very small loss of accuracy due to slide-frame slop.

my personal pref is some looseness in slide to frame. if my 1911's dont rattle i start thinking something is wrong :) the real key is does the barrel lock up to the slide in battery in the same relationship each shot and stay there.

my colt series 70 and ww2 ithaca 1911 are far more accurate than i am.

12. 2ndAmendmentFreedom

Thanks a lot all, that's some great information. I'm leaning towards the XSE series, affordable, great looking and more widely available. I'm gonna keep researching a bit but I want my first 1911 to be a Colt, I know it's kinda dumb but it's something I've wanted for a very long time.

13. canebrake

canebrake New Member

2nd, take a look at these:

Colt Rail Gun

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. 2ndAmendmentFreedom

Yeah the rail versions are cool too but I already know I'm not gonna put a flash light or laser so it all comes down to looks. Thanks for the recommendation. I do like the stock grips on the 1980RG, kinda similar to some of the Special Combat Government ones. If only I could get a Special Combat Government at the price they used to sell for... :(

15. TraderJack

TraderJack New Member

My .02

Back about 10-11 years ago when I first got into USPSA competition I looked for a gun I could shoot in the Single Stack Class as well as the Limited 10 Class. When I ran across a used XSE that was in near pristine condition, I knew I had my pistol!

I shot the first season with it purely stock and it performed flawlessly. But, you know how competition guys are... we need EVERY edge - So I did some custom work - Schuemann barrell, new beavertail, lapped slide, 3# match trigger, magwell and some other odds & ends...
    - All I can say is WOW!

[​IMG]

It's been a grand campaigner for several years... I even shot some bowling pin matches with it - 10 pins down in just under 3 seconds!

Sadly, my eyes won't let me shoot as often as I once did but I'll have to say the XSE is still my favorite pistol. It just fits my hand so well and every time the trigger breaks, I can see a hole in the center of the bullseye... It's just a real joy to shoot.

Good luck with your choice and be sure to let us know what you decided on, OK?
    All the best,
    TJ

16. bman940

bman940 Member

Colt

The only gun I have ever sold and wished I hadn't, series 70 Gold Cup National Match. A buddy sucked me in with a sob story about how he had always wanted one......now I just get to visit it on occasion. Lesson, if you have to think twice, don't sell it!

17. 2ndAmendmentFreedom

@TraderJack
    Very nice looking gun, I'm strongly considering the XSE.

@CaneBrake
    I've been keeping an eye on gunbroker since I started looking for the Special Combat Government but I'm not crazy about the Combat Elite being based on the Series 80.

@bman940
    Yeah the first colt I buy is definitely the Colt that I won't sell!

Question regarding mags:
    What mags do you guys recommend? Standard 8 round mags, I don't like super long magazines.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  18. wewaslim

wewaslim New Member

Gold Cup

I have three 'Cups: a Series 70, Series 80, and a Gold Cup Trophy in stainless. The Trophy shoots much better (to me) than the others. I had the front strap checkered, put a set of AlumaGrips on it, and shoot it. At 7 yards, it's cuts one ragged hole. That's about as well as my old eyes can see. They seem to be going for about a grand, so that leaves lots of $$$ for ammo. Bill.

19. danf_fl

I believe that a search of 1911 mags will show that a lot of people here like the Tripp mags.