which callibre

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Gerhardt, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Gerhardt

Gerhardt New Member

Hi
    Which callibre would be best between a 7mm-08 remington and 7x64 Brenneke Primery use target up to 500 yard Secondary use, hunting deer in australia Rifle will be for a woman so looking for less recoil Will be reloading for the riffle Looking at a Sako85 with a Leupold VXIII 6.5 or 8.5-20x50

2. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

What model Sako 85? If the rifles is going to be used for target and medium game, I think you may want to look at a different scope. The 50mm is going to make the scope very high and a 6.5 minimum is to much for hunting on the low point. If your hunting is going to happen between 50 and 300 yards, a 3-12x40..42mm should fit the bill for both. For caliber, Why a 7mm? 7mm08 is a great cartridge, so is 7mmRem Mag, Either will work. That Rifle is also offered in 6.5x55. For the applications you list, that would be my choice. For mild recoil, the 7-08 or 6.5x55 fit the bill.
    You should head over to the introductions thread and tell us about yourself and that beautiful country.

3. Catfish

Catfish Member

I would go with the 7-08. I also don`t think you have any thing to gain by going with a 50 mm objective lens, the 40 mm should do fine.

4. Gerhardt

Gerhardt New Member

Thanks for the reply. I got a 8.5-20x50 on Sako optilocks which I want to use for the 500 and will get a 3-9x40/50 for the hunting side. As the optilocks is quick detachable, I'll swap them over.
    I've never shot/loaded for the 7mm 08. My wife got a Sako 243 and we are going for a hunt at the end of May on a farm, Their requirements are a minimum of .2506, that is why I am looking for something bigger for her to shoot with. I'm looking for something with not too much recoil, and I found the 7mm 08 and the 7 x 64. I can't decide between the two. As the 7mm 08's case is smaller which will give me a more compact load, I was leaning more to it, but I noticed that the 7 x 64 use totally different powders. Will those powders fill the cases, or will it only be half full and might need some fillers to fill the cases?