Which Bowie Do You Recommend?

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by CA357, Jan 15, 2010.

1. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

All this knife testing and comparison has me wanting a big knife. I guess I can pick up a Ka-Bar fighting knife, but I kind of want a Bowie.

I've been looking at the Becker-Ka-Bar Combat Bowie and the Ka-Bar Heavy Bowie. Here's some info:

The Becker/Ka-Bar:
    [​IMG]

Specifications
    Overall Length: 14.75 in.
    Blade Length: 9.00 in.
    Blade Material: 1095 CroVan, Black
    Blade Detail: Plain Edge
    Handle Material: GFNPA66
    Carry System: Glass Filled Nylon Sheath
    Weight: 1.65 Lbs.

The BK13: a small fixed blade with a 2 1/4" 3Cr13 stainless steel blade, skeletonized handle and lanyard hole.

The Ka-Bar:
    [​IMG]

Features a 9.00 in. 1085 stainless steel plain blade and a 5.25 in. black kraton G handle. Comes complete with a leather/cordura combination sheath.

I don't care about the extra small knife that comes with the Becker, so that doesn't factor into the choice. From what I can tell, The Becker has a slightly harder steel. (yes/no?)
    They aren't too terribly expensive, so I know I'm not getting custom knife quality, but I trust Ka-Bar.

The knife will see use camping and will likely be used as a machete. I have hatchets, so it won't be used for much chopping, just some general brush use and to be honest, some coolness factor. ;)

Would you knife experts please give me some feedback? Thanks gents.

2. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

I have been eyeballin' the SOG Fusion Jungle Primitive

[​IMG]

Overall Length: 14.5"
    Blade Length: 9.5"
    Blade Material: TiNi Hardcased coating on 420 Stainless Steel
    Blade Detail: Partially Serrated
    Handle Material: Molded Kraton with Digi-Grip with hammer checkering on pommel for pounding
    Carry System: Nylon Sheath
    Weight: 14 oz.
    Price: $35-$45

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Well CA, you might want to wait through the weekend because I just got the Kershaw Outcast D2 yesterday and that thing is damn nice for $67 delivered.

I am going to take some pictures tonight if I get around to it to show the size of it, but it's a damn hefty piece of steel.

More to follow....

JD

4. CA357

I won't buy anything until after the 20th. My birthday is coming and I want to give myself a large piece of sharpened steel as a gift. ;)

5. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

Out of the two in your original post, I'd go for the Becker. If you're open to more traditional bowies, take a look at some of Bark River's offerings their knives are top notch. Convex ground A2, with an endless choice of handle materials, Mike Stewart's expertise and a great warranty.

My favourite BRKT bowie is this one:

[​IMG]

But if what you're looking for a big stout chopper, their rendition of the classic Hudson Bay camp knife is awesome as well:

[​IMG]

I like traditional knives more than modern "tactical" ones. :) But for the money, you can't beat those Beckers or the Kershaw Outcast.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  6. CA357

What kind of money are we talking with those Francisco? And of the two I listed, what makes the Becker better?

7. CA357

I googled the Bark River knives. They're out of my price range. I'll probably go with the Becker, although I'll wait to see how the Outcast does first. The Outcast doesn't appeal to me as much as the Ka-Bar's do.

8. CA357

I have zero impulse control. I googled Ka-Bar and wound up on Amazon. I picked up the Ka-Bar Bowie for $43.99. plus shipping. Total was $51.30 to my door. That's less than the lowest cost of the knife that I've found so far and that didn't include the shipping.

Happy Birthday to me. :D

This is the one I wound up buying, it fits my budget a bit better too:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

This is my fav big knife for obvious reasons.

The Wilson Tactical Model 11 - 1911 Bowie

[​IMG]

My Bowie with Fenrir

Handmade in U.S.A.
    The Wilson Tactical Model 11 - 1911 Bowie is handmade from start to finish in our U.S.A. custom shop with American materials. Our professional knifemakers hollow grind each blade by hand without fixtures. Our blades are heat-treated in our custom shop to maintain a precise hardness level for maximum sharpness and edge holding. The handles are shaped by hand and every knife varies a little bit on shape which makes every knife unique. Our kydex sheaths are custom formed and shaped in house to your unique knife. Every knife is inspected and hardness tested prior to leaving our custom shop to insure quality and ideal hardness.
    SPECIFICATIONS
    Steel D2
    Hardness RC 59-60
    Blade Length 5½"
    Blade Thickness 3/16"
    Handle Length 4½"
    Overall Length 10½"
    Weight 9.5 oz

10. CA357

You're killin' me, doggone it! A 1911 Bowie? Geez. :eek:

11. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

CA357, I think you'll be happy with that knife. Ka-Bar does a good job on their heat treat, and the one time I had a customer return a Ka-Bar (a Mule folder) the company sent a replacement without even checking the flawed one.

I've had some problems with their leather sheaths, but that's an easy fix, you can order a plastic one, or better yet get some kydex and give sheath making a try. Factory edges tend to be a bit rough, but they polish up beautifuly. I'm using a Ka-Bar Camp Knife as the basis for a cutting competition knife (little amateur friendly contests a friend runs). The materials are the same as the ones used on your bowie. I changed the handle, polished the edge and now need to get to work on a new sheath.

[​IMG]

You're going to love that bowie! Put it to good use and take some pics.

12. CA357

I was talking with my buddy last night and we're overdue for a camping trip. However, I don't care much for snow camping, so we'll wait for Spring. It will get field tested on that first trip into the woods.

I'll post some pictures and impressions when it arrives.

Francisco, I appreciate your input as our resident knife guru. :cool:

13. N.D.

N.D. New Member

Hey! :D
    Now maybe I'm just popping off at the mouth here, but before I drop any $ on a Knife I'm going to try to check it out 1st and 1 of the 1st places I'll look is

HERE >
    www.knifetests.com Home

But that's just me cause I'm a po-boy W/ OCD!
    or maybe I'm just a cheap a$$ but either way . . ;)

Besides if they didn't TEST the EXACT Knife that your thinking of buying they might have tested some thing that was tough as HE11 that might be to your liking!

(Hint:)

(B**k*r didn't rate any higher than a K-Bar during INDEPENDENT DESTRUCTIVE TESTING.):eek:

I hope this helps you make a wise choice for a tough field/ Combat Bowie!

N.D.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  14. CA357

That's a cool site, thanks for the link. I already bought the knife, so it will be what it will be.

15. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

IMHO, those destruction tests are worthless. They are fun, I admit to engaging in that sort of "testing" occasionally, but they don't prove the real functionality of a knife. Any bladesmith can make a knife that will shine at this sort of test, but won't be a good field knife.

I prefer more sensible reviews like those on Welcome Woods Monkey!!, which are carried out by knowledgeable outdoorsmen like Joe Flowers (who designed several knives, including one for TOPS), Terrill Hoffman (a well known gun and knife photographer who hosts Practice What You Preach, a bushcraft get together that's been featured on Tactical Knives magazine) and Tim Stetzer (who's written great articles for Tactical Knives). Granted, they don't wear cool sky masks and they don't usually break their knives, so it might not be as entertaining to watch.

16. CA357

I don't plan on using the knife for anything other than cutting and chopping. I won't be going hand to hand with a grizzly or a 'gator either. The knife is a tool to me, it has certain functions it is designed for. I will use it for what it was designed.

I was a carpenter most of my life. I used a variety of tools daily and they all had different functions. The same with this knife. I have other tools that will accomplish other tasks more competently and safely.

Even so, it was fun watching those guys beat the stuffin's out of those knives. :cool: