which are you? employee or employer?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by bobski, Aug 31, 2013.

1. bobski

bobski Well-Known Member Sponsor

has it changed? whats your dream? share away.
    i was employee until 40.
    then i was a retiree.
    im now a part time employer with my range.

2. genesaika

genesaika New Member

Kinda both, I'm 1/3rd own of a heavy equipment repair company with my brother and dad. It's only us 3 working though.

My dream? You might get a laugh out of this. I want to be a computer programmer specialized in video games. For now I'd be happy as an employee, but in the future I'd want to own a video game studio.

3. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

I am one of Uncle Sam's nephews. There is always someone above you in the chain of command.

4. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

I spent 29 years at The Boeing Company .. retired now.

I guess I am just an employee now. My wife is the boss . .. excepts when she let's me.

5. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Well-Known Member Supporter

I hold 2 jobs. One for a paycheck, and like KG7IL one at home. I am an employee at both.

6. roughneck266

roughneck266 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Both. Work offshore for my main income, while my gun shop grows. We just made is past one year a couple months ago, and are now building the shop. Hopefully within the next 5 years or so, no more offshore.

7. johnr1943

johnr1943 New Member

Same way in the "food chain" ...:rolleyes:

8. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have been both. both have their pros and cons. regardless of which you are, there is always someone higher up to answer to.

9. DFlynt

DFlynt New Member

Neither I'm retired.

10. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Always some one above you? Same way with your drinking water. If the guy up stream forgets to flush you don't drink. :eek:

11. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

DFlynt enjoy!!

I am an employer. I am in logistics. Primarily anything with a wheels or a motor. But the plan is to build it from here to yellow iron and concrete and containers.

12. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I'd love to be an employer.

But this administration's laws

ride you down, like Hyenas on

a wounded Zebra...

Maybe, someday, America will again

be a place where a man looks forward to

opening his own business...:(

13. indy36

indy36 New Member

Employee. I'm 'head employee' (Operations Manager) for a document imaging and records management company. I'd like to own something, just don't know what.

14. JW357

JW357 New Member

This is well said and applies to me as well. Except I'm not a nephew. I'm a Misguided Child.

My long long term goal is to own a defensive firearms gun shop.

In the meantime my immediate goal is financial stability, taking almost whatever path I need to after the Corps in order to achieve this end.

15. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I am an employee and really have no desire to be an employer.

16. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

I'm a plant ops manager so I'm a little bit of both. I do the hiring but I can still be fired.

17. txpossum

txpossum New Member

I was self employed as an attorney in private practice for about 20 years (Fort Worth); then I was made an offer to go to work for an oil and gas services company that would let me relocate to where the woman I was engaged to lived (Western Pennsylvania), running the Pittsburgh office. I was worried about working for someone again, but it worked out exactly like me running my own office, only with someone else paying the bills. I currently getting my law license for PA, and plan to set up a part time practice.

When I had my office in Fort Worth I guess I was a small employer, as I had one or two employees.

18. TLuker

TLuker New Member

I'm not sure what I am at the moment? I was an employee before I quit so for the moment I am just happily unemployed. But I do own a rental house and have some side projects. When I was employed I was in a range of positions from employee to middle management with several people reporting to me. I could be fired though. So a little bit of everything at different times and nothing at the moment. :)

I guess I'm just trying to decide what's next, and I'm so thankful that I actually have some choices. Maybe it's time to write that book I always wanted to write? :rolleyes:

19. bigbomar4

bigbomar4 New Member

My thoughts exactly. The job before my last job tried to force me into management so I quit.

20. CrazedJava

CrazedJava New Member

Middle freakin' management.

Lot of perks and a lot of headaches.