Which AR-15?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by ninjatoth, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Bushmaster

19.5%
  2. S&W M&P

9.8%
  3. Stag Arms

19.5%
  4. Other

51.2%
  1. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

My buddy is looking at getting his first AR and has three he is serious about after handling them.I have no AR experience at all so I'd figure i'd ask you guys,he either wants a Bushmaster,A S&W M&P,or a Stag Arms.What one do you think is the best choice?

2. Quentin

Quentin New Member

None of those, Other

3. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

How about a nice rockriver entry tactical? I got one with a heavy barrel and a Daniel's defense rail.

4. jhbwolverine

jhbwolverine New Member

I'm also considering buying my first AR, and am curious which other AR you suggest.

5. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Go to Palmetto State Armory's website and purchase:

1: Stripped lower

2: Lower parts kit

3: Complete upper - 5.56 mid length upper in 1:7 or 1;8 twist

4: Sights that meet your preference, iron, holographic, scope, etc.

6. ZombieKiller83

ZombieKiller83 New Member

I went with other, you could build a nice rifle that fits your tastes for the price of those factory builds that will be a much better rifle. I'm partial to BCM, mine has run flawlessly through 800+ rounds and best part is i built it to MY specifications for just over a grand(right around 1050.00). I'd put it up against any one of those rifles listed without even thinking twice about it :cool:

[​IMG]

7. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I'm w/ ZK. A BCM can be had for around $900 and is an absolute work horse. I also have a Daniel Defense that is a thing of beauty and like the BCM is an absolute work horse. The DD will have a little higher price tag though.

Lately Spikes has shown to be a great rifle as well. I owned one for a while and really was impressed by it.

PSA has really taken off in the last few months. They are mil-spec and priced right.

I've become real fond of lightweight barrel. Look into those. The weight is less and most importantly the balance is wonderful.

Do some research and don't let your friend settle on something just because it's on the shelf ready to go. He might end up waiting months to get it back after sending it off for warranty work.

8. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

stag is a great ar. not only are you getting a nice rifle. you are getting a great warranty. lifetime parts labor and shipping. ive used it once alrready. and ive heard from my buddies that he shot so much he shot out his barrel and they replaced it.. but besides that. the rifles themselves are nice. my friend and i both own one

9. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

What did you send it back for?

10. JeffCooper

JeffCooper New Member

I don't have an AR-15, but I'm wanting. Bad. I've spend the past few weeks reading everything I can about 'em. I had to vote "other".

The one re-occuring theme I'm hearing is "Build your own". You get what you want (exactly), a better weapon, and you get the pride of saying so. Thats what I want, and I'm trying to put together a list of goodies. The hardest part for me is defining the "what I want" part, cuz I want one of each. :D

11. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

My First Choice = Rock River Arms as AZN Also advised due to what you get with it. The Tactical CAR A-4 he mentioned or the Elite CAR A-4 which is my favorite (It is a Mid-length) but same barrel length as the Tactical CAR A-4.
    Both come with the Ltd.Lifetime Guarantee, Heavy 16" Barrel, Star Selector Switch, Rock River Hogue Rubber Pistol Grip, Front Side Sling Swivel, 2 Stage National Match Trigger, 6 Position Collapsible Stock (DEA/FBI Spec.) Guaranteed Accuracy. Or buy good parts from a reputable source and build your own. We can help you do that right here on the Forum. Many have already done that here on the FTF and there is a great sense of accomplishment! Good Luck on whatever you decide!:)

12. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I'm with ZombieKiller83 and mjkeat and others who like to build their own using quality components from BCM and other top notch vendors. If forced to choose from the three in the poll it would be S&W.

13. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

taper pins on the front sight post. one fell out and the other was loose.. nothign major. but the fixed it no problem.and no problem since i had it returned

14. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

What about Armalite?I have seen pictures of them and they are in his price range?I read they designed the AR,so wouldn't it be a good gun?I have no idea.

15. JonM

JonM Moderator

my vote is other. RRA is my current favorite. i build my own ARs but my favorite is almost 99% rra...

the current armalite is not the same company or even a smooth transiion of employees from the original armalite. armalite ceased existance in 1970 and the logo and tools was sold off in the early 80's. the only thing original to the real armalight company and today's is the logo.

but thats prolly not a bad thng. eugene stoner was the genious behind the m16. armalite wasnt terribly good at what they did. the current armalite seems to be more on the ball in the last few years than the used to be.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  16. Bushman

Bushman Member

Between the three, which is what you asked, I only have owned the Bushmaster and Stag. Both are are ok, in my experience, but the Bushmaster (XM15-ES is what I had) had problems with Pmags dropping free from the rifle when released. This was easily fixed by sanding a small spot on the mags. The barrel steel was not a good quality as the Stag.
    The Stag get my vote.

17. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Like JonM said, ArmaLite is not in any way the same company that designed the AR-15, but they're not bad either. I'm pretty happy with my ArmaLite but can see that my Daniel Defense is built better, more attention to the details and I know better components were used.

But all in all ArmaLite is all right and fitting it in with the three in the OP's poll I'd rank them S&W, Stag, ArmaLite then Bushmaster. Stag now has a true milspec M4 so they might deserve the top spot in a somewhat weak field.

18. russ

russ New Member

That is the truth. I've now put together 5 AR's and each one of them was what I wanted at the time. The one I want now is one I never thought I would and I even gave a buddy of mine a bunch of grief about building nearly the same thing because I couldn't see the use in it. My point is, figure out what you want to do with it first, then find the rifle that fits your needs, wants, and budget.

Based on the OP's list, I would put S&W and Stag in a tie for first, with Bushy in a distant last. My Bushy has given me more trouble than my CMMG's or my DPMS.

But I vote build your own, too.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  19. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

Talking more to him and educating him on different calibers,he is now leaning twords something still in an AR platform but in 7.62x39 because he wants to also whitetail hunt here in MI with it(we get less than 75 yard shots where we hunt)What AR would be good in that caliber,assuming that they exist?

20. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I built my own and would have it no other way. Stripped lower from any reputable maker $80-150. Then buy the parts for the lower, build it your with minimal skills and minimal tools. Buy a complete upper from RRA, DPMS, or Del-Ton. Boom, you've got a budget functional AR for $700-900. And a ton of pride.

If your buddy doesn't know anything yet, then putting one together will help him learn that it really isn't rocket science.

7.62x39mm uppers totally exist, if that's your flavor. A lower can be married with any AR-15 upper. Build a lower, then you can buy any or ALL uppers you want. RRA has 7.62 uppers.