which aftermarket barrel for the 10-22

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by riley, May 2, 2010.

1. riley

riley New Member

Alright hopefully this hasnt been done to death, but i want some opinions from folks more knowledgeable than myself on the aftermarket barrels for the 10-22. I am thinking of installing an 18'' bull barrel in stainless, and basically am interested in your opinions and experience with these.

2. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

The bottom line is with barrels you get what you pay for. What's your budget and accuracy expectations? If you can afford it Lilja makes EXCELLENT barrels. Shilen also makes great barrels. Volquartson offers good barrels built for them. I cannot recommend Butler Creek due to the loose tolerances (sloppy) in the chamber. I've used all of the aftermarket barrels and Lilja is at the top of the heap among a couple select others. Green Mountain makes good middle of the road barrels and are much better than Butler Creek. This is of course just MY opinion based on MY experience with "prefitted" 10/22 barrels. If you're going to machine from a blank that opens up more possibilities.

3. riley

riley New Member

Thanks Stalkingbear, if i had the money i would love to have someone turn a barrel for me, but as it is i am looking for middle of the road, and better than out of the box accuracy. It sounds like Green Mountain would suit my needs. I have ordered several things from Gun kings, but they are currently out of stock of any barrel i like, any other suggestions on who to order from.

4. riley

riley New Member

I appreciate the knowledge:cool:

5. riley

riley New Member

I like those Whistle Pig barrels. The octagonal ones.

6. stalkingbear

The Whistle Pig barrels are good and should serve you well. I like the idea of octagon myself but be aware you'll have to inlet your stock for it.

7. riley

riley New Member

I grew up hunting black powder, and my muzzle loader barrels were all octagonal, Im a little partial to them myself.

8. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

I have used several Whistle Pig barrels.They are pretty good.
    Here's one I put together for a friend,using a 20" Ported Octagon Whistle Pig barrel,and a Boyd's Evolution stock. It shoots good,and looks pretty neat with that barrel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. riley

riley New Member

Nice rifle.

10. riley

riley New Member

Alright, here is my next question concerning barrels. I dont plan on ever shooting anything more than 40 grain bonus pack ammo for this gun. Which barrel twist rate would best suit me?

11. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Anyone used the Tactical Solutions rifle barrels? I've got one of their Pac Lite Pistol barrels for a MKIII/22-45 and like it well enough but I have not seen the rifle barrels 1st hand. I'm not too sure about the alum. bbl. with steel sleeve thing really. The pistol bbl I got at a gun show new and it was just priced too good to pass on. My rifle project though I'm wanting to make sure it's a good one and I wont want to go replacing it again.

12. stalkingbear

Riley-you'll be best served with 1-16 twist.

Drumjunkie-the Tac Sol barrels shoot about like the Green Mountain barrels. They don't shoot quite as good as the barrels marketed by Volquartson but are good barrels.