Which affordable C&R pistols do I need?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by Capybara, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Capybara

Capybara New Member

I will be attending the Phoenix Gun Show December 5-7. My gun safe is actually way beyond capacity, so I won't be looking for any long guns as I have nowhere to keep them, I know, first world problems.

I can make room for a few more affordable ($200.00 to $400.00 range, so probably no Lugers or 1911s) C&R pistols though.

Own
    Walther P38
    CZ50
    CZ82
    1895 Nagant
    Radom P64
    Romanian TTC

Looking For
    CZ52
    Star Model B
    Astra M600
    Russian or Polish Radom Tokarov
    Any really good deal on a clean C&R S&W revolver
    Colt 1903 Hammerless
    Russian or E. German Makarov

What else should I add to the "Looking For" column that I might happen upon at the Phoenix Show? I reload so weird calibers are fine unless it is something that brass and projectiles are impossible to get a hold of, I would consider some obsolete calibers like 9x21mm, etc.

Thanks for any advice guys.

2. JWagner

JWagner New Member

How about a No.2 Enfield revolver? I got one in nice condition for $300 last year.

3. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

I love my CZ52, a great gun with a great round. Any Tokarev will be a good choice too. J&G Sales has a sale on Star Model B's for $250, but the email said they don't classify as C&R, but since you're in Phoenix, there's a chance they will be there. They attend shows in that area a lot, from what I've seen on their website. You can't go wrong with any C&R pistol, all made to last. Ammo availability is probably your main concern, 7.62x25 has spotty availability, so stock up when it's in stock. Most 7.62x38 is corrosive Soviet surplus, and the rest I've seen is PPU. 9x18 Makarov is pretty common from what I've noticed, but mainly Wolf and Tula steel cased ammo. And then 9mm is plentiful and cheap if you pick something up in that caliber. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think some Model B's were chambered in 9mm Largo as well as 9mm Luger, so you will need to inquire on that beforehand. But since you reload, it shouldn't be a problem, but reloading 7.62x38 is difficult and probably not worth it. I own a CZ52 and a Nagant revolver, and I vouch for both of them, good, strong, reliable guns. Hope this helped! Good luck!

4. Capybara

Capybara New Member

Yes, would like an Enfield to go with my No4 MK1 and No5 MKII. What caliber are those in?

I would like a Star but as I am from California, I can only buy a C&R gun in Arizona so if they had some pre-1964s or if they are on the list, I could get one. If they are post '64 or not on the list, I can't buy one and have it shipped to California because of this state's idiotic handgun roster. I could Single Shot Exempt it but it wouldn't be worth the fees, hassle and time. As far as ammo, I have a few hundred rounds of 7.62x25 brass PPU, some surplus and I think I can reload it. I looked into reloading 7.62x38 for my Nagant and you are right, it is big hassle so I probably will save that for when I have more time and experience. CZ52 appeals a lot to me, it is a very interesting look and the roller lock design is pretty quirky for a pistol.

5. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

A Nambu is on the top of my list.. :)

6. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I agree you need a No.2 Enfield revolver !..............

7. St8LineGunsmith

St8LineGunsmith New Member

Iver Johnson safety automatic

8. JWagner

JWagner New Member

The Enfield revolver is in .38 Smith & Wesson.

9. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

NOPE, its in .476 Enfield !................

10. samnev

samnev New Member

Enfield Number 2 Revolver

If your talking about the Number 2 it is in 38/200 know here as the 38 S&W.
    Her's the Wikipedia link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enfield_No._2

I'd get a Super Star Model B rather than the Star Model B. The model B with the short hammer spur really pinches the web between the thumb and forefinger.

11. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Yeah the No.2 is, I was thinking Mk II my mistake.................