Which 9mm compact for the wife under &350 lc9? Pf9? P11?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by gaspump86, Jul 22, 2012.

1. gaspump86

gaspump86 New Member

I am looking for a concealed carry 9mm compact under $350 ( the & was an accident in the the title) for the wife. Any suggestions? I have been looking at the ruger lc9, kel tec pf9 & p11. Im leaning towards the pf9.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  2. Centurian22

Centurian22 New Member

Have you considered the Beretta Nano or the S&W Shield? Might be out of the price or size range I'm not sure. Just heard lots of good things about them.

3. gaspump86

gaspump86 New Member

I like the nano. price is a little high for my budget. I have not researched the shield. But I will now. Thanks.

4. gaspump86

gaspump86 New Member

I wish I could afford the xd 9mm compact.

5. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Let her decide which one she likes best. :cool:

6. gaspump86

gaspump86 New Member

True. She likes the lc9.

7. Centurian22

Centurian22 New Member

Biggest complaint I've heard about the LC9 is the trigger pull / reset. If you can get used to or train through those issues I've heard they're a great platform and shot one myself with decent results.

I'm hoping to get an XD soon myself. Probably going to have to do layaway to force myself to pay towards it.

8. gaspump86

gaspump86 New Member

Yes. I hear you on the layaway.
    I had adjust to the 8 POUND trigger of my Sigma.
    I havent held the kel tec PF9 but it looks really comfortable. Its also a little cheaper than the LC9.
    Im gonna go hold one tomorrow. Maybe she will go.

9. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I agree with letting her decide. She would be more likely to carry it more.

If there is a place that rents firearms, go and let her try some.
    Some stores will allow dry fire on some of their display models too.

(As a side note, things I bought for her, she does not use. You know, the teddy, the high heels, the maid's costume.)

10. gaspump86

gaspump86 New Member

The pf9 looks so much better.

But the xd is 5x the gun as either of those. But a little wider.

b_91028d013dcee98eec3996410c641941PF9_4045.jpg

3200.jpg

62267.jpg

11. Byron0022

Byron0022 New Member

I have the XD -9 and my advice is if you have enough for that Kel Tech just hold off and save, the XD is some much better all around. In the long run you will be glad you did.

12. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Love my lc9. It has roughly 800 rds through it without any issues . There is a company that has reworked trigger parts for it that will make it 100% better fairly reasonable.

13. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

I would bet your wife will not like how the pf-9 feels when shot. 12oz 9mm's can have more than a bt of snap. cw9 kahr, nano, bersa bp. shield, ruger lc9 maybe even a few revolvers between 15 and 21 oz may work . Let her get with a good gun shop/range person and see what slide she can function and maybe fire a few she thinks she like. The pistols around 20 oz will be easier to control for sure. Just what fits her hand. Most of these have LGS prices between 250 for the KT's and 375 for upper end. The p-11 my have the worst trigger of any but with a double stack grip she may like it. Just try to give her the chance to try most. tell where you all are and see what memebers may be near you to offer pistol to try out.

14. gaspump86

gaspump86 New Member

Jax Fl. That makes sense. Ligter = more recoil

15. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

I would let her decide, and make sure she can operate the action. Every single PF9 I have seen lately has a super tight slide release. It's so tight many people don't have the hand strength to operate it without help from their other hand which causes them to come way off target. I would pay special attention to that area of operation.

I have fired a couple LC9's and except for the manual safety being a little small for my hand it is a good firearm. I'm not wild about it having a magazine safety in what I consider to be a personal defense weapon, but I can live with it.

16. gaspump86

gaspump86 New Member

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  17. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Had a chance to see the LC9 in action yesterday.
    The owner had several complaints about trigger's long pull, the magazine safety, and the grip.

But, bottom line, he told me that it was acceptable for intended usage (for his wife to carry).

18. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Reverse the situation and think about that. What if your wife bought you a gun without soliciting your opinion? I'd hate to see what kind of gun my wife would get me in that case.

Best thing is for her to get some range time behind as many different guns as possible. Depending on your wife's size, she may have trouble pulling the trigger on the LC9 more than a few times. My wife had trouble with the Sigma I had.

Another thing to think about is a small 9mm may not be pleasant for a female to shoot. You might be introducing a gun that could cause her to develop a flinch. What will be her carry method? You might be able to go with a slightly larger framed gun if she's just going to carry in a purse.

19. gaspump86

gaspump86 New Member

I never said I didnt solicit her. We looked at options in our price range on the net. Compared specs and features, watched some youtube reviews (nutnfancy's channel mostly). We just have not went and held them.
    She will probably carry IWB
    P.s. The handgun rental range here does not offer any of those guns.