which 5.56?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by thementat, Jun 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. thementat

thementat New Member

I recently got an American Tactical Galeo, which is basically a IWI Galil - receiver and barrel were manufactured in the US and the other parts got shipped as surplus.

I am wondering which 5.56 ammunition to get - how many grains and manufacturer. I'm thinking about getting either the 55 grains or 62 (green tip). I've done some research and found someone stating that the 62 grains were not as accurate for his specific rifle (don't remember which one) and another which said that 62 grains were more accurate for him. There was also a thread about 62 grains lighting up the skies, though I don't know if that was merely grain count or specific manufacturer has some "different" gunpowder.

I can always get a few of each and after zeroing might sights, see which one is more accurate, but thought about asking for advice here.

2. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

What's the barrel twist rate?

3. thementat

thementat New Member

The 18.5" long barrel has a twist rate of 1:7.

4. AgedWarrior

AgedWarrior Well-Known Member

1:7 twist should stabilize 62 grain bullets just fine.

Ghost1958 and towboater like this.
  5. Shopfox

Shopfox Well-Known Member Supporter

Before reloading, I went the route of trying ~20 different factory ammo's.

For factory ammo, looking for accuracy, pass on the 62gr green tip.

Edit to add: The best value, hands down for factory ammo right now is Australian Outback loaded with 55gr Sierra Blitzking bullets at ~$0.50 per round. My previous favorite (now discontinued) was American Eagle 50gr Varmint Tip, priced a little less.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
    towboater and AgedWarrior like this.
  6. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

Agree, 1/7 should work fine on 62 gr.
    I prefer 55 gr m193 but that's just me.

towboater likes this.
  7. thementat

thementat New Member

Since I already have a few 55 grains ammo boxes, I'll use them to zero my rifle. Once I go through them and get proficient enough to get good groupings reliably, I'll 62 grains and potential different brands to see if I notice any difference.

towboater likes this.
  8. Oldoutlaw

Oldoutlaw Well-Known Member Supporter

62gr green tips have a steel core floating in lead. It does not center perfectly. 55gr will be more accurate for you unless perhaps you buy much more expensive 62gr target/match loads. Save your money.

Shopfox, towboater and Caveman Jim like this.
  9. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

If you're wanting accuracy,don't shoot military style ammo. Yes,It's cheap to shoot,but if you want accurate ammo,buy some Match grade ammo in 68 gr, 69 gr, 75 gr and 77 gr.
    Or some ballistic tipped bullet ammo (varmint) in 55 gr or 60 gr. They usually shoot pretty good.

Shopfox and Caveman Jim like this.
  10. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim Well-Known Member

I was just going to mention that fact, I have a pic somewhere of some cut in half to reveal the inconsistent steel core placement. It's probably on my desktop compute, I'll check tomorrow.

primer1, bluez, Oldoutlaw and 2 others like this.
  11. Shopfox

Shopfox Well-Known Member Supporter

@thementat Don't be shocked by 4" to 6" groups with green tips, and 2" to 3" with 55gr FMJ.
    Normal protocol is multiple 5-shot groups, and take averages of the groups.

Please do post a range report!

Oldoutlaw and bluez like this.
  12. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member

Consider trying some of the Hornady 55gr match cartridges. Have found them to be amazingly accurate, in a Stag 5.56 AR (with 1:9" twist), some years ago. By far, of the factory-loaded stuff I'd tried, it was the most accurate. Wasn't much of a marksman, myself, but I could usually do several 4- or 5-shot groups in the 3/8" to 5/8" range, at 100yds, and usually sub-1.5" at 200yds (though the .223 rounds would get "floaty" on breezy days). No other cartridge could do that, in that gun, not that I found.

Not the least-expensive stuff out there, to be sure. But it's fairly accurate stuff.

If I were doing a 1:7" twist 5.56 rifle, these days, and wanted supreme accuracy in a factory-loaded round, I'd likely consider the Lapua 5.56x45mm SCENAR-L, in 69gr. With a ballistic coefficient of 0.341, it's 35-50% slipperier than most other "match" cartridges out there in a similar weight, until you get to custom-loaded stuff. Of course, Hornady also has match HPBT cartridges in 55gr (the Frontier) as well, if you're open to HP. Won't have nearly the BC as the Lapua units, but it should still be repeatably accurate.

DoubleTap is made-in-the-USA, and they've got a few .223 cartridges that might suit you. 55gr FMJ match BT; 62gr Colt National Match FMJ; and 69gr Longrange match HPBT. While I've not done much of the DoubleTap cartridges for rifles, I've had nothing but exceptional performance and repeatable accuracy out of them for sidearms. I imagine their attention to detail and high standards are likely from their rifle stuff, too. I'd certainly give it a try, if ultimate accuracy from factory-loaded ammo is your goal.

Shopfox likes this.
  13. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

One of the most accurate rounds I have shot is Federal Gold Medal 55 gr. BTJH.
    I do not know if they are still using this designation but it was the best I have shot for groups. Federal Gold Medal P223E"?
    Out of my Rock River 20" Varmint AR on some occasions I have got 1/4" (1/4 MOA) 3 shot groups at 100 yards with the P223E 55 gr. ammunition.
    But also 1:7 twist you might want to try some 69gr. as well. But as the guys stated. If you want precision groups the ammunition makes all the difference in the World. Inexpensive rounds normally will in no way create the tightest groups no matter what the Barrel Twist is!;)

Shopfox likes this.
  14. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

My specific recommendation is:

Any Barnaul made 62gr steel case.
    Wolf Military Classic 62gr in FMJ or HP
    Brown Bear 62gr in FMJ or HP
    Silver Bear 62 gr in FMJ or HP

They may be 62gr but have no penetrator, (even though they also have steel in the bullet.. albeit mild steel)

55gr will work for your barrel as well. Tho for 55gr I dont like 1 in 7... its theoretically suboptimal.. even so I had some good results with 55gr thru my 1 in 7 barrels.

Generally any steel ammo thats made at Barnaul (not tula) is quite good
    runs around about a quarter per round... cheap enough to practice with it.

(but if you're made of Money there are some nice high end choices out there basically any non penetrator 62gr brass case will be ideal.... but they are not cheap.. also some of the cheaper match ammo, like 69 gr PPU will work quite well as a real world carry round)

Also please read my read my ammo review tread:
    https://www.firearmstalk.com/threads/bluezs-big-review-of-commercial-ammo-in-ar15s.117369/

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
    Caveman Jim likes this.
  15. formerCav

formerCav Well-Known Member

1 in 7 twist.
    see if you can buy some BLUE box (reloads) from Black Hills with the 77 grain bullet. YOu can win a rifle match with that stuff if you do your part.

Caveman Jim and Shopfox like this.
  16. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I had a 1:12 twist that was sub moa with 45 grain but getting 1 moa out of 55 was a chore and 62 was a pass. 1:9 does great with 55 and 62. 1:7 is a heavy bullet twist. 55 might be acceptable, 62 will be better and 75 will shine. 45 might explode in the air. I like Wolf 62 grain HP in my 1:9 and 1:8 but it is not 1 moa quality. It is cheap. If I want 1 moa I shoot hand loads.

bluez likes this.
  17. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim Well-Known Member

Here it is. I defiantly would no use this ammo if I were chasing accuracy. JMHO

SS109.jpg

18. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member

Huh. Assuming it's a representative sample of common errors.

Doesn't surprise me, though.

Another good reason accuracy-hounds get the best cartridge components they can, measure and size every one to "spec" and then double-check and re-check every component and assembly point to ensure uniformity.

Imagine how accurate we could be if everything were balanced to within 1/100th of 1% of other examples, sized to within 1/100th of 1%, weighed to within 1/100th of 1% of others in a batch, etc. Of course, even then, the temp and humidity changes, barrel heat changes, the wind picks up a few knots, we breathe "wrong" during the trigger pull, etc.

Caveman Jim likes this.
  19. Oldoutlaw

Oldoutlaw Well-Known Member Supporter

62gr Green tip is for light armor penetration. His pics are very representative of all 62 Green Tip.

20. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

Forget the twist rate and the grain count, just try and see what shoots best out of your rifle. If it’s an AK type, steel is fine. It is absolutely not a fact that more expensive “match” ammo will do better. (Do you know what match ammo is exactly? A free for all adjective, like “high performance” or “precision”)

Oldoutlaw likes this.