Which .300?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by ninjatoth, Jul 24, 2010.

1. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

My friend is intersted in a .300 magnum of some sort to hunt big game in Colorado with.Should he get a .300 Win mag,.300 Win mag short,.300 Rem ultra mag or .300 Rem short ultra mag?Or something else?

2. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

What is he hunting? How good of a shot is he? What is is price range?

300 RUM is expensive to shoot and that is putting it lightly.

300 WM is a good round has been since the day it came on the market. The short mags are cool and all but they are all but dead.

3. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

He has only listed elk so far,I am not sure what else he plans to hunt and price isn't much of an issue for him.

4. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

If he's set on a .300, in my opinion the only reasonable option is the .300 Win Mag. It's been around (and been popular) since the 60's and will probably be around for decades to come.

The .300 is extremely accurate and proper for pretty much all North American game. You can always buy a box at the store and the price doesn't exceed that of the .308 or 30-06 by much (except for .308 surplus).

I've never understood the point of short magnum cartridges and as Tango said they will be gone before we know it.

It never hurts to have a gun chambered for a cartridge that has been popular for so long. . . you know it'll be on the shelf.

5. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

He does not need a .30 cal Mag for elk. I went through the "Needed" stage years ago. I bought a 7mm Remington Magnum. It was "needed" for Elk at the time, it was the current rage. Well guess what I learned..... Although it is great, it was not necessary. Most of us shoot within 200 yards, even on big game or varmints. If you are a skilled hunter, you should be able to acheive your effective range using your brain.

6. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

If he's dead set on a .300 then the 300 win mag is the way to go. Sure the short mags are cool but they're also more expensive to shoot. I'm going on an elk hunt in October and I traded a cheap .45 for a 300 win mag (Ruger M77 mk2) for my hunt. I didn't NEED a 300 win mag, just that the way I traded I only have $250 in it. I couldn't turn it down for that.

7. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

He never said needed. . . he said interested in. The .300 isn't as popular as it is because it is overkill, it is popular because it is effective accurate and versatile.

8. Catfish

Catfish Member

It doesn`t matter what he gets. A .300 Savage will do the same thing any of the .300 mags. will do, just not quite as far out. Any given bullet will preform the same at the same velocity no matter what the velocity it started it flight. 100 fps. will get you about 5 yrds. maximum point blank range so 300 fps more will onle get you another 15 yrds. ie, 300 to 315 yrds,? not a real great gain. For a hunting gun, or really any gun, accuracy is far more important than velocity. This from a guy that has some sceaming wildcat, barrel burner that really get there fast. If he is looking for alittle longer range tell him to buy a good range finder and work out a good drop chart with wind drift and ckeck it well and don`t worry about what .300 mag. to buy.

9. jpattersonnh

He is obviously a newbie, as we all were once. The sad part is when I started it was pre, way pre-internet. There is good info, and bad info. But, it gives us more information than I ever had. I don't know a single hunter that still owns a .300 mag, not 1. .280, 30-06 sure, seem to fit the bill, but hey, to each their own. Lots of rounds are effective accurate, and versatile. Having effective accuracy is step 1 in hunting. Somehow it seems I crawled under you skin w/ my reply. That was not the intention.

10. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Hmm... Pleased to met you JP. I own two .300 Win Mags and hunt with them. But they are overkill for most hunting. But a big Elk is an awesome animal.

Where I hunt in Utah, many of the locals use .270 on Elk. But a couple of the really successful guys have .30-378's and swear by them.

I don't think .300 Win Mag is too much gun, and the "short mags" burn out throats too fast. I've never had a glitch with a belted long action, so see no reason to "upgrade" for no gain.

And .300WM ammo can be bought just about anywhere in the world that they have animals to hunt.

11. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Well J.P.,I guess I'll have to also say Hi. I still have one 300WM,and just sold off my Ruger #1 not long ago.

I love shooting the 300WM,but it will show it's strong side in a lite weight rifle if you are recoil sensitive.

I will agree with J.P. that you don't need a 300WM to hunt elk,and for most people taking 400+ yard shots is out of the question unless you know a little about shooting at longer ranges,and know your equipment.

12. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

I say 300 Winchester Magnum and be done with it. Ammo can be had for about $22.00 a box of 20. Winchester Super X Power Point or Federal equilivant.
    Can run 220 and 240 grain weight bullets. Can deliver quite an amount of ft. lbs. impact energy. Relatively flat trajectory and good for those "longer" shots if needed. And if recoil is an issue, I believe Remington makes a "recoil managed" line of ammo for magnum calibers or you can have a muzzle brake installed.

Anyhow, thats my 2 cents worth.

13. jpattersonnh

That is why I still hold on to my 7mm Rem Mag. But for a newbie there are some cheaper to shoot options, unless you reload.

14. freefall

freefall New Member

I don't suppose you do know many hunters with .300s there in NH. I know lots of them. I personally like my .338. I say go Win Mag all the way. Yes the others are a couple hundred fps faster but the animal isn't likely to appreciate the difference. The Win mags are chambered in nearly every brand of rifle, in nearly every price range, and they are well able to do the job. I don't see the extra velocity as such a plus, rather the ability to fire a nice long stable 200 gr bullet at the speed an 06 launches a 165 grainer. Provides much more dependability of direction after the bullet enters the animal, making sure you puncture the organ you were after.

15. headhunter

headhunter Member

I feel fortunate being able to shoot the .300 Savage, .27o Winchester, and the .30-06 Springfield. All are great and I've been fortunate in having taken bull elk with the last two.
    In the 90's I began hunting around Craig. CO. The conservation reserve fields around Craig are huge. I purchased a .300 Win. and have been very pleased. When I first got it, I was frustrated because using the old faithful 4831 the best I could do was 2800 ft/sec with Nosler partition 165 gr. bullets. Eventually I became frustrated enough to purchase a pound of 7828 and the chronograph said 3200+ ft/sec. I was where i wanted to be.
    A couple of years ago a friend purchased a .300 WSM and with a 180 gr bullet and shorter barrel he is getting 100 ft/sec faster velocity.
    Am I unhappy with my choice? No, I can load my own and as far as I know the powders that make the magic happen for the short mags aren't released to the public yet.
    I hope your friend has fun.