Which .22LR

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by User Name, Dec 14, 2009.

1. User Name

User Name New Member

I am looking at three different .22's. Which would you guys say is the best option. They are all brand new by the way.

Savage 64BXP semi or bolt, wood stock with a 4x32mm scope. 159.98

Remington OD Green 597 Semi, 3-9x32 scope and boresighted. 179.98

Ruger 10/22 10 shot rotary. 189.99

I plan on doing some target shooting, and some varmit hunting. What would you guys recomend. If you say Savage, bolt or semi?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  2. junho806

junho806 New Member

all those choices are good
    but you can't go wrong with a 10/22
    lots of aftermarket parts and upgrades as well
    I would get a 10/22
    :)

try them out if you can

3. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

Well your about to get a somewhat loaded answer.

The truth is that a 10/22 isnt a match grade plinker out of the box, as most any gun isnt. However, if your thinking of going into some competitions, the savage in bolt action is a good start. 10/22 shall forever and always be my choice for small game however.

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

The 10/22 will serve you well. Second is the 597 and last the Savage. JMHO.

5. ta1588

ta1588 New Member

I have to add another vote to the 10/22 pool. great gun. :D

6. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I have the 597 camo and it's a great gun. It doesn't have all the aftermarket garbage that the ruger's do, but it fits a grown man better than the ruger's stocks do. ;)

It's also accurate right out of the box. Throw a decent scope on there and you're all set for way less money.

Later, you can get a VQ hammer and extractor for better performance.

7. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

God another 10/22 fanboy in the making.

Get the 10/22 and call it a day.

Or if you want a real mans semi auto get an older mossberg 352k.

8. Joe M

Joe M New Member

This would be my choices;

1. 10/22 Ruger
    2. Savage Bolt Action w/ Accu-trigger
    3. Marlin 795 (which isn't on your list)

9. glenthoughts

glenthoughts New Member

Now that I have one I can not imagine life before 10/22....

What was that like? *shudder* never mind...:rolleyes:

10. Bohica6-284

Bohica6-284 New Member

I would choose the 10/22 for the same reasons, it's a great gun to begin with, but the opportunities are endless for upgrades. I do not recommend the 597, as a gunsmith I have seen my fair share of issues with these rifles, though they have gotten better.

11. User Name

User Name New Member

I think I am leaning towards the Savage bolt. I went and looked at all of them today. The ruger feels too small for me. Thanks for all the replies.

12. glenthoughts

glenthoughts New Member

I am a large human, so the 10/22 is just a bit short for me. I will be putting a butt plate extension on it.

Good luck with your rifle, post pics...

13. Joe M

Joe M New Member

If you do get the Savage bolt action - EGW makes a 20 MOA Picatinny Rail for the Mark II, should you decide to take up 200 yard shooting? There are some options available with the Savage. Would you be looking at the bull barrel ones, or the standard barrel MK II?

14. RCHanlin

RCHanlin New Member

Hey User..

10/22 would be my first choice also but I noticed you did not mention Marlin.. they've got some super rimfires. Mod. 60's a great gun but I'd upgrade the optics if you get the packaged one. They put a cheap rimfire scope on it from the factory.

15. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

No semi auto!

If you are hunting in Pa. You can not use a semi auto rifle, only a shotgun or auto load shotgun plugged to 3 rounds, and a manual operated 22 for small game is legal so you may want to check the laws in the state or local you will be hanting in.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  16. wb_carpenter

wb_carpenter New Member

I love my 10/22 but there are more accurate .22's for the money. I love the amount of accessories available to "dress up". A 10/22 is as accurate as the $$ you spend one one. But for measure 3 shot.5in groups at 50yds with a stock 10/22 should be about right.

It depends on how much hunting vs target but I would suggest a CZ rifle for a good mix. 10/22's are hard to beat for the fun factor though.

17. tomgodd

tomgodd Active Member

I have a 597. LOVE IT!!!

18. MemphisJim1

MemphisJim1 New Member

I have a Savage MkII in Mako configuration with bull barrel and a 597 .22LR with Evolution stock and bull barrel. Both are scoped and both are dead-on accurate. Given my dealings (and that of many others as well) with Remington over the .17HMR version of the 597, I strongly recommend staying away from anything with the green "R" on it.

19. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

isn't there a recall on the remmy 597 in 17hmr?

20. MemphisJim1

MemphisJim1 New Member

Yes, cptango30, there is a recall on Rem 597/.17HMRs. Remington is trying to pull off what I call a "recall on the cheap" by offering us a fraction of what the rifles cost us new, then limiting their offer to a coupon ($200 or $250, depending on version purchased) good only towards buying another Remington firearm. In fact, most of the semiauto rifles once offered in the caliber (Ruger, Magnum Research, etc.) should not be used, according to announcements from CCI (the primary domestic manufacturer of .17HMR ammo); only lever and bolt action rifles should fire the round. Magnum Research is offering a full refund. Ruger discontinued its version several years ago. I have heard anecdotal reports that Ruger has been exchanging their 1017s as problems develop. Last I heard, Volquartsen Customs still stands by their offering. As I understand it, semis just can't handle the pressure spike of the round, resulting in out-of-battery discharges, blown out receivers and magazines, etc. Remington wants us to believe it's an ammunition problem and out of the kindness of their heart they offer to take our unsafe firearms back without acknowledging any degree of responsibility for producing it in the first place. Given Remington's recent history of not supporting its products, I don't care to give them another opportunity to tell me "Gotcha - again."