Which .22 Pistol?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Billdogge, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Billdogge

Billdogge New Member

Looking for a good reliable plinker that I can run lots of ammo through. Which one?
    Looking at the P22 (heard bad things about them) , Neos, and GSG 1911

Would like to hear what you guys think

2. doctherock

doctherock New Member

I love the Walther P22. Its picky on ammo but loves CCI Mini Mags.

3. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

Check Browning Buckmark or Ruger Mark II or III

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

Ran my new bersa thunder this wekend in 22lr with some of the worst 22 bulk out there it eats it all. I've got a ruger mk2 highstandard mosquito sig 22 conversion for the p220, all are very picky on ammo. So far the bersa is the only 22 that cycles whatever I stuff in the mag.

I also have a gsg on order. It hasn't shown up yet so I can't comment on it.

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Take a close look at the GSG. I'm lovin' mine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. doctherock

doctherock New Member

How much did you pay for that Cane?

7. red ryder

red ryder New Member

i have a p22 that i like quite a bit.

the PMR-30 looks quite interesting as well.

8. Billdogge

Billdogge New Member

Thanks. Keep the suggestions coming

9. HKSlinger

HKSlinger New Member

Do I see the hammer back with the safety off? :eek:

10. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Really Cane!!!

11. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

HAMMERLI Trailside, it's the best of the best. A great second choice is a Ruger Mark III, or a Charger 10/22. I'd also look at, and consider a Buckmark.

For a really fun plinker, low-budget and reliable .22 look at a Phoenix HP22. It's lots o' bang for the buck!

12. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

The buckmark is my favorite .22 pistol.

13. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

I think everyone should own a Ruger MK II. I just looked up the MK III and can't tell what is differnt about it.

The two things I should mention about my MK II is that it didn't like anything but CCI Mini-mags for the first 500 rds. but now it eats anything and, I've always thought I could find better sights for it, or at least file the front sight to a narrower blade. That and a trigger job and I think it would make a DARN GOOD competion pistol. IMHO.

14. russ

russ New Member

Another good word for the GSG. Mine is not ammo picky, but I've never tried to feed it Remington bulk junk either. I also have a Browning Buckmark that I really like, and it eats anything and it very respectable in the accuracy department.

15. russ

russ New Member

...and no mag, which won't allow the GSG to fire even if there were a round in the chamber. :p

16. loaf_fan

loaf_fan New Member

Billdogge: I too was looking for a good quality plinker 22 (Semi-Auto).
    I had a few other requirements to qualify the right pistol. 1. I wanted an external hammer on mine. 2. Preferably not plastic 3. Reliable 4. Under 500.
    What I came to buy is actually a conversion kit for my Taurus PT-92, turning a 9mm into a 22 (or a .40 into 22 if you have the PT-100/101)

I absolutely love it, it's full sized so I'm not fighting a little bitty pistol like the Taurus PT-22, or a Beretta 21. It has the external hammer. I retain the metal pistol. I maintain the feel and function of my full sized, and it's reliable. No problems yet. I purchased it AND a PT-100 for $450.

In my searching, other contenders were: Bersa Thunder 22/Firestorm 22 (Same Pistol for the most part), Rated to eat nearly anything, and well liked. Second Actually was the Phoenix Arms HP22 with a $150.00 price tag (have seen them for $138 at gun shows). Last was the Walther P22. Liked the feel, but the extensive amount of bad reviews warned me off the Sig Mosquito.

If you're open to a revolver, a Smith & Wesson K-22 is reliable, and fun.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  17. CajunBass

CajunBass New Member

Ruger MK II or III...or even an old "Mark I". Which doesn't really matter. Despite the weaping, moaning and gnashing of teeth you'll hear from the Ruger purists, there isn't a dimes worth of difference in the three as far as shooting goes. Just get the one you can find the best price on. I wouldn't walk to the next table at a gun show if I found one I wanted at a price I wanted to pay.

You'll also hear people whinning that Rugers are hard to dis/reassemble for cleaning. That is true if you can't read and follow directions. If you can do that, you shouldn't have any trouble. You just have to remember to follow the directions TO THE LETTER.

Or better yet, do what I do, and don't clean them. Spray some gunscrubber on them, shake them a few times, put a drop of oil here and there, and you're done.

The Bersa Firestorm is a good shooter too.

18. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

I bought a Phoenix HP22 as my 4th .22 autoloader. I got it for $125.00 and it included the long & short barrels, 3 magazines, and a cleaning kit. This little autoloader eats all ammo. I got rid of all the un-necessary safety crap and now it's a fine plinker.

Attached Files:

19. FaTmAn

FaTmAn New Member

I like my neo 22lr it is a good deal for 249.00 new out the door and comes with 2 10 round mags

Attached Files:

20. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I got the GSG for ~$300, the can is on order and will be ~$600 w/tax stamp!