Which .22 LR

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by gunzandgears, Feb 5, 2015.

1. gunzandgears

gunzandgears New Member

I have a friend whose son is on the hunter's safety shooting team at his high school. He needs a good .22 LR rifle to compete with. The rules of the competition state that it has to weigh less than 8.5 lbs and have either V, U, or square notch sights and be a configuration similar to a hunting rifle (I.E. No ARs). It also must have at least a 2 pound trigger so we agreed to try for a little more than 2 pound trigger to avoid differences in pull scales if they check the trigger weight.
    He set a budget around the $400 mark. The rifle will be used to shoot bullseye ringed paper targets from prone, sitting, kneeling, and standing positions.
    What do the professionals and sharp shooters on FTF recommend? As long as it meets the above criteria the anything will be considered.
    Thanks y'all.

2. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Savage MKII G, Ruger American bolt, Marlin XT22, just about any bolt action with iron sights Most of the heavy barreled rifles in your price range dont have irons. Grabagun has a CZ455 Lux for just under $400. http://grabagun.com/cz-usa-02101-cz455-lux-22lr.html

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015

3. Vincine

Vincine New Member

I'm not a professional sharp shooter nor have I ever played one on TV, but I had a Savage MkII TR.

The Savage AccuTrigger is VERY nice and the MkIIs are VERY accurate. The magazines are a bit funky.

The Ruger American uses a better magazine, you can get them in clear plastic and see the rounds left in them, there are speed loaders for it, and it fits flush with the bottom of the forearm so you can use skeletal support posture when standing if you like. It also provides adaptors for different length of pull and comb stocks. I never fired one.

Marlin has a tube feed model which would allow you to shoot any .22 ammo you come across, longs, long rifle, or shorts. Never fired a Marlin either.

The CZ allows you to change the barrel to a .17 if you'd like. It also was nicer finished than the Savage. I liked the Savage trigger better though.

I'd talk to the shooting team officials at the school to see what the most of the other students are using and why.

4. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

Don't you just HATE those nasty AR's ???

Anyway, 2 lbs is actually rather lite -- 20 ounces is more typical.

Less than 2lbs would be unsafe.

http://www.ruger.com/products/1022Sporter/models.html

Without going hog wild on a super adjustable rear sight, this configuration should work for him/you.

5. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

The Savage Mark II TR is drilled and tapped for a scope.

No iron sights on it.

ERGO NOT APPLICABLE.

There are other Savage Mark II's which do have iron sights on them.

They are bolt action rifles however.

Shooting 22's is much more enjoyable if they are semi auto's.

If the club requires bolt actions, then you're stuck with it.

Otherwise I would recommend a semi auto 22LR like the Rugers.

6. Vincine

Vincine New Member

??? Not all MkIIs are TRs. There's about two dozen of them. More than a couple have notch sights.

7. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

You still have that unwanted bolt action on them though.

On a 22LR a bolt action is a huge pain and completely unwarranted.

8. gunzandgears

gunzandgears New Member

I agree that auto are more fun. My 10/22 is the best thing to shoot I've ever had. But I've been told for years that autos are less accurate. Is that true?

9. Vincine

Vincine New Member

I don't know about other semis, but my 10/22 wasn't anywhere near as accurate as my bolt MKII.

If the competition is bullseye it's likely to be slow fire. Semi and bolt are different kinds of shooting. If you'd want to put 5 rounds through one hole, go bolt. If you want to hit a dozen cans, at different ranges, one after the other, go semi.

At our club, the sporter rifle and pistol competitions are single shot procedure. Perhaps the HS team also requires a single shot protocol? You might want to check on this. It would affect your rifle choice. Some are hard to load single shot.

10. Vincine

Vincine New Member

11. gunzandgears

gunzandgears New Member

The way I read the rules it is single shot protocol. Also, the rules expressly prohibit peep sights and any other than originally stated. But actions are not mentioned other than if they will be opened between shots or a penalty will be assessed.
    From what I read in the rules it's all about accuracy. How many shots can you put in the center of the target.
    My first thought was the Ruger American. But I am biased to Rugers and never really liked bolt actions in the first place. But the rifle isn't for me, it's for a 14 year old boy whose beginning to show potential.

So the information shared so far has truly been helpful.
    Are there any rifles that have adjustable stocks and combs? I know the Ruger American does but again I'm a Ruger guy. Just trying to help him find the best thing for him.
    But I'm reading savages and Rugers and czs. Are there any more?

12. robertb6112

robertb6112 New Member

Is this sarcasm? I can't tell. I enjoy shooting bolt action .22's over semi-auto. And in most states if you decide to hunt with a .22 you can't use semi-auto.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

13. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

If your state requires you to have a bolt action rifle for hunting with a 22LR then sure, you are stuck with a bolt action rifle then.

14. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

Any semi auto is going to be slightly less accurate than a comparable bolt action rifle.

However with a 22LR it should make little difference.

15. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

I would next find out if loading a single 22LR cartridge into a semi auto magazine is allowed. If so, then I would definitely go with a semi auto.

A bolt action 22LR is simply a drudgery and no fun.

16. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

If the kid is going to get really serious about competition 22LR shooting, then you would want all the bells and whistles of that crowd.

My thinking is that after the shooting contests, he is going to want to go hunting for small game with the 22LR. And in that case a semi auto will definitely be more fun.

17. towboater

towboater Active Member

I still have fun shooting my single shot 22 rifles.

18. Vincine

Vincine New Member

I enjoyed my bolt. It wasn't drugery to me.

19. Salvo

Salvo New Member

Most other people enjoy a bolt action too. In a shooting competition, it is accuracy that counts, not how fast you can jack the trigger.

True drudgery in a shooting competition is always coming in last because somebody steered you wrong.

Since 22 ammo has become more expensive, the good old days of casually hosing down the landscape is losing some of its appeal.

For rimfire bolt guns, I lean toward Savage, but that's just me.

The ultimate in accuracy and class would be a Winchester 1885 low-wall, but they are quite pricey.

[​IMG]

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/itemdetail.asp?id=524100102&mid=524100

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015