Which .22 for a kid?

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by chorst294, May 11, 2008.

1. chorst294

chorst294 New Member

I need you fine folks opinion. I've got a seven year old that I plan on buying his first .22. He's been shooting BB guns for quite some time and obeys all gun safety rules. We've been practicing with my Marlin 60, Ruger 10/22, and a Browning Buckmark. The rifles are too long for him to shoot comfortably, but he shoots the handgun very well. My question is, should I get him a youth model 10/22 rifle or a .22 handgun? I just think a rifle should be a young boys first gun. But I've been thinking about maybe a Beretta Neos, Ruger MKII, Browning Buckmark, etc... I need some opinions!!

2. NateCJ5

NateCJ5 New Member

Rifle first IMO.

3. montveil

montveil New Member

You may want to look into an inexpensive bolt and cut off the stock.
    OR get a cheap stock for the 10/22 and cut it off and add back pads as he gets larger- finally with the original stock
    Montveil

4. fluffo63

fluffo63 New Member

..Mossberg plinkster,at wal-mart but it is a semi-auto,
    light small,Syn stock, they shoot great and a real good
    $price $109.00 + Tax..:D

5. hillbilly68

hillbilly68 New Member

Rifle first, definitely. Bolt action first, definitely. Good luck and thanks for keeping the tradition alive.

6. Flint Rock

Flint Rock New Member

No science or logic in my answer, but I vote for a single shot bolt action rifle. That's what my daddy started me with,,,,, 40 years ago, and it worked out pretty well. A bolt action SS makes you try harder and slow down, and that has to be a good thing for most any shooter.

7. Zappa

Zappa New Member

I agree that a single shot youth size rifle is the best way for a kid to start.
    I remember a bolt action that was called a "Chipmunk", I'm not sure who made it, but it was sized perfectly for a child. Another great rifle for a kid is the Ithaca Model 49. It's a single shot, dropping-breach, lever action, that also requires the hammer be cocked manually before firing. I have one of these myself and still enjoy firing it on occassion. Too bad they don't make them anymore, but used ones can usually be found for about $100.

8. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I have to agree with the forum members. Any child's first real weapon should be a single shot, bolt action style rifle. Teaches trigger discipline, round placement discipline and you will probably never have to worry about some "friend" taking it to school or anything...

If you browse through the "What was your first gun/rifle" thread you will see a lot of us got single shot .22 style rifles and most of us still have them.

JD

9. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

first rifle

I whole heartedly agree with a single shot rifle bolt action as a first rifle. A single shot WILL teach him marksmenship as he'll only have 1 shot,hence make the first shot count. Also single shots are a lot simpler to operate.

10. h&k bigdaddydieseldan

h&k bigdaddydieseldan New Member

ruger 10/22 hands down the best .22 that you can buy :D :D :D :D

11. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Single shot bolt action rifle in 22lr. I had a Chipmunk they were very high quality and shot great. Unfortunatly Chipmunks are not made anymore.

Keystone makes the Crickett. It is ok but in my viewit is not as good as a chipmunk. You can find chipmunks on Guns America and Gun Broker still. The big plus to the Crickett is it comes in many different colors and blued or stainless. http://www.crickett.com/CrickettRifle/crickettrifle.html

remington makes a youth model 5 Savage also makes a youth model 22lr and you have heard of the Mossberg plinkster which comes as either a semiauto (Model 702)or a bolt action (Model 802).

The one thing you must remember is that the crickett and the chipmunk have NO SAFETY. Now you have to manualy pull the bolt to the rear to cock it. Some people do not like this feature but I think it is a good feature because most of the time it is too hard for a child to cock it. This makes the parent and or adult on site do nothing but moniter the child shooting.

12. chorst294

chorst294 New Member

I really appreciate all the input. I've changed my mind on what to get him for his first firearm. I was looking at the Ruger 10/22, but I want him to take his time and focus on shot placement and trigger pull. I've decided to get the Mossberg Plinkster bolt action .22. It's a single shot with a detachable magazine. You can also purchase additional magazines with higher capacity. We can always move up to a semi-auto in a couple of years. Thanks again for all the advice!

13. cgibbs

cgibbs New Member

1969 Romanian .22 Training Rifle

Now that you have made your decision let me throw another option into the pot. Both my boys started with a Romanian 1969 training rifle. I have one for myself also. These rifles are accurate, are bolt action (very easy to clean) and have a 5 rnd clip (makes it a lot more fun in the long run). The rife has a scope rail built in and a cleaning kit trap door in the butt stock. The flip up sights make changes in target distance easy to sight in. I like the rifes too because they have some history to them and best of all you can get them for $75 - $150 each.

14. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

Single shot bolt-action ALL THE WAY!

There is a nice variety of Kid's sized rifles available in .22 at Very Low Prices. Any decent gunshop should be stocked.