Which 1911 should i purchase?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by CharlieFoxtrot, Apr 19, 2013.

1. CharlieFoxtrot

CharlieFoxtrot New Member

I want to add a 1911 to my collection. I do not know much about them. I don't want to spend more than about $1400. What are some suggestions?

2. Donn

Donn Active Member

Hang on tight, you're opening a bag of snakes. My $.02? Only one choice here, Colt.

3. CharlieFoxtrot

A lot of input is good as long as the trolls stay home.

4. Stillersfan

Stillersfan New Member

Smith & Wesson 1911SC E series.. Life Time warranty. Cant beat that with a giant baseball bat. :D

5. CharlieFoxtrot

I have not thought about warranties, thanks.

6. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

If your concerned about warranties steer clear of Kimber---

7. CharlieFoxtrot

Who has the best warranty?

8. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

9. Olympus

Olympus New Member

For that kind of money, the absolute VERY best you can get is a Dan Wesson.

There is nothing wrong with any of the other brands that you'll see getting recommended here. They'll all be great guns.

But the hard truth of the matter is that none of them will hold a candle to a Dan Wesson. I never knew what all the fuss was about until I bought one. Then I bought another. The problem is that most people have never owned one and probably never even handled one to use as comparison because they aren't mass produced like everything else.

10. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

This^^
    Dan Wesson is about as good as it gets before you start getting into checklists and waiting periods with the higher end builders.

11. yazul42

yazul42 Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Can't go wrong with a poney,,, I am partial to my Nighthawk AAC, a lot of good ones out there, just depends on your pocketbook and what features you want, factory and custom makers,, I have only three 1911's and one is an old warhorse, my father's legacy from the Korean era and it still shoots very well although it normally stays locked in the safe for my son one of these years.

12. getem2011

getem2011 New Member

Dan Wesson, Springfield, used Les Baer, Sig, s&w. There are TONS of options. What will it be used for?

13. skimbell

skimbell New Member

If you want a genuine 1911 type pistol, buy a Colt. If you want a knock-off, buy something else.

14. steadyshot

steadyshot New Member

While I am a Colt fan, your statement is not accurate IMO.

There are several companies that make quality 1911's.

15. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Simply not correct information. A recommendation for Colt would have been sufficient without the misinformation.

16. Axxe55

sorry Skimbell, but i too have to agree with these two statements. yes Colt is the original and the one everyone copies, but most are hardly "knock-offs" as you called them. anything else is a copy if it's not a Colt, but that doesn't mean they are less in terms of quality.

17. skimbell

skimbell New Member

My statement is accurate. I didn't say that there weren't "several companies that make quality 1911's".
    I said that these several companies make knock-off's. They are. Colt is the original. Anything else is a copy/knock-off.

18. Axxe55

when you use the word "knock-off" that implies a cheap copy of the original. many of them are hardly cheap copies of the Colt!

19. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Take the subtle hints that we're all trying to give you here. You're not going to make any friends by going down this road.

20. Olympus

Olympus New Member

By your logic, Ford would be the "original" automobile and everything else would be a "copy/knock-off". See how ridiculous that sounds? Tell Porsche and Ferrari owners that unless they own a Ford, their cars are just "copies" or "knock-offs".

I promise you'll continue to lose this argument for as long as you want to continue it. Best thing is just to take our advice and move on from this point.