Where were YOU- on 9/11?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by c3shooter, Sep 11, 2012.

  1. c3shooter

    c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

    Ladies and gentlemen- today is the anniversary of the 9/11 attack.

    To honor the memory, those that would like to, please share where you were.

    Please do NOT make political or conspiracy posts in this thread- they WILL be deleted- not the purpose of this thread.

    Myself- I was in Sacramento doing training with a customer. Was supposed to fly back to Baltimore that night. Left the next morning- driving my rental car. I remember a huge sense of unity with my fellow travelers, and American flags suddenly showing up everywhere. I slept in the car, and pulled in to BWI 2 and a half days later.

    Grabbed my car, and headed for the Pentagon where one of my contractor customers had been working before the attack. A day later, left for NYC to help assess damage to bldgs near the WTC. Left my car on the West side of the river, and caught my contractors work boat across. 2 days, back across and drove home to Virginia.

    So- where were you?
  2. PanBaccha

    PanBaccha New Member

    I was in Key Biscayne, Florida. Received a call four hours later from my daughter who worked down the block from WTC. It took four hours for her and a city of people to walk the Brooklyn Bridge into safety. Brooklyn looked like a mess with papers from Manhattan all over its sidewalks and streets.

  3. drvsafe

    drvsafe New Member

    Home getting ready to go to Williamsburg, Brooklyn, where I worked at the time. got a call to turn on the TV, as I turned it on, I was watching live coverage of the 2nd plane hitting the Tower. scared the crap out of me. I live on the Jersey Shore about 55 miles away from the NYC. In all my fear and shock, and not knowing what to expect next, I took a run to my local big box retailer to pick up Ammo. From the highway I could see the smoke trail from the fires. While on the way home, I listened over the radio as they described the tower as it came down. I pulled over with my jaw hitting the steering wheel in shock.

    2 days later I went to my office. From the Verazanno Bridge you used to be able to clearly see the WTC, needless to say all you could see then was the smoke hung over lower Manhattan. When I got to my office the streets were filled with burned up papers from the offices inside the WTC, mind you this Williamsburg, across the East River and North of Lower Manhattan. I grabbed a few pieces to remember it by, packed up my laptop and headed home.
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  4. astroman

    astroman Supporting Member Supporter

    I had just finished having breakfast with a friend of mine and heading back to my parents house when my mom called me - was in Amesbury, MA where my parents lived - I had flown up to MA from FL that previous Thursday to setup network and systems for my fathers new office. I was supposed to fly out of Logan Intl back to Fort Myers at 2pm. Got back to the house and my mom and I watched the news live and saw the 2nd plane hit the towers and the other 2 plane crashes. Ended up staying there until the following Sat. when I flew out of Manchester NH to FL....Couldnt wait to get home and see my wife and 1 month old boy...
  5. Eturnsdale

    Eturnsdale New Member

    I was in Oklahoma. A Bronco rig didn't set up right so they had five of us out there reworking their flowline. Id just climbed down off the gas buster to go get something to eat from my truck, tuna on wheat, and turned the radio on. I was floored. But it had been about three days since I slept, so it didn't really sink in until I finally left that rig a day later and got a nap.

    It was horrible, but the sense of pride I saw in everyone in the months after was amazing. I thought that maybe people finally got it.
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  6. kytowboater

    kytowboater Well-Known Member

    I was in juvenile court. Heard it on the radio before I went it.
  7. silverado113

    silverado113 New Member

    I was on Corporal of the Guard duty at Camp Hansen in Okinawa, Japan. I was woken up in the middle of the night about 0200ish by my sentry alerting me about the attack. At first I thought it was a movie or a dream, but once we started picking up cars (they are tiny in Japan) and moving them away from the barracks and patrolling the base in the middle of a typhoon, it was pretty clear. The base was on lock down for a little bit and we had armored vehicles with M2 .50 cals and other tracked vehicles at every entry point around the base and around the clock foot patrols. The boys were fired up to go get the SOBs! Semper Fi!
  8. rocshaman

    rocshaman New Member

    I remember clearly where I was at. A buddy and I were out at a lease doing some mechanic work on a pumping unit. We'd heard some of the initial sporadic reports coming in on the radio, at first they thought it was a private plane. When it became clear it was much more than that, we were stunned like everyone else in America and even though we were working we realized it was history in the making. We decided we needed to get to a TV and see what was going on so we jumped in my truck and drove like hell to get to my place, which was just a few miles away. I still remember the feeling of "this can't be happening" and to me it all remains as vivid as yesterday. God bless those that were there....
  9. Overkill0084

    Overkill0084 Well-Known Member

    RAF Lakenheath, UK. As it began to happen and word spread, everyone started trying to get news over the network, which pretty much ground to a halt. So, due to that, everyone not actively busy was crowded into the break room watching it unfold on CNN. Everything stopped and we started generating F-15s for Air to Air patrols over Southern England :eek: The base went into lock down as FPCON Delta was implemented. The HMMWVs with mounted guns were placed at the gates. That was something I don't believe anyone had seen in the UK in many years.
    My housing area was an old RAF area (Watton) away from the base. The Brits had started putting up banners of support and leaving flowers by the entrance rather quickly afterward. The outpouring of support from the Brits was a pleasant surprise and greatly appreciated.
  10. JD1969

    JD1969 New Member

    I was in bed as it was my day off. I got a call from a long time friend and turned on the TV. I didn't move for at least two hours. After, I went into work anyways. There was no business that day. I remember finding it very eerie that there were almost no cars out and there were no planes in the sky. I live between O'Hare and Midway airports so planes are always making noise here.
  11. JigSawer40

    JigSawer40 New Member

    I was at home staring stupidly at the TV.
  12. Longrange

    Longrange New Member

    I was on a 16th story rooftop on Siesta Key, FL. My partner and I were working on the condo AC systems listening to everything unfold. George W. Bush was at a Sarasota elementary school reading to children that morning. My partner and I watched 2 f16 fighters take off from the Sarasota airport , followed by Airforce 1. I will never forget seeing those aircraft take off.
  13. Fathead00

    Fathead00 New Member

    I was at my old job in a Nissan dealership. I was at the service counter and heard a customer scream, so we ran into the waiting room. We asked what was wrong and she said a plane just crashed into the first tower. I wasn't even thinking it was a terrorist attack, so I went back to the counter and then she screamed again. That's when the 2nd plane crashed!! That's when we said WTF is going on. That is a real eye opener when you start seeing **** like that.
  14. TruggieTex

    TruggieTex New Member

    I was in a bank lobby in Killeen, TX and feeling fortunate not to have been caught on Post when they locked down Ft. Hood!
  15. purehavoc

    purehavoc New Member

    I will never forget it , I was in my archery shop fletching up a dozen arrows for a customer , I had the TV on and it came on , Was a very devestating moment I will never forget
  16. cvia

    cvia New Member

    In computer class. I was a volunteer fire fighter and my pager went off in class because I forgot to turn it off. Our company had been put on alert ad call incase we were needed. That's how I found out along with everyone in the class room. It was scary. Edit I lived in Strasburg Va just out side of the DC area.
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  17. AcidFlashGordon

    AcidFlashGordon New Member

    I was at work repairing circuit cards from our line of slot machines. Our supervisor was watching his mini-television and told us about the first plane hitting. We all thought he was full of bulls**t, but he turned the TV our way. Just about that time, the second airliner hit. We all stopped what we were doing and watched the newscast for the rest of our shift. When the "order" came down to halt all air traffic, the situation here in Las Vegas was very eerie. Flights enter and leave McCarran airport 24/7 and there were always aircraft flying over our building. For the next few days, while at work or home, having empty skies was just too odd to really get a grasp on.

    Never forget this travesty. Honor the American heroes of Flight 93, who prevented that aircraft from reaching its probable target. Honor those American heroes, the service personnel, who without any regard to their own safety, entered the burning World Trade Center towers to assist in the rescue of countless people.


    Now I'll do everything in my limited power to help prevent any further cowardly terrorist attacks anywhere I live.
  18. vincent

    vincent New Member

    Was drilling for underground gas tanks when someone said a plane just hit the WTC...Not a week earlier had watched a show on History aobut a WW2 fighter hitting the Empire State Building and thought to myself...interesting concidence...

    When the second plane hit, the jobsite shut itself down as everyone was gathered around the radio. By noon, the blasters were told to pull what shots they had loaded immediately, go back to the magazines, unload the powder and stay put, ATF was sending guards, one for each magazine.

    They sent everyone home, most of the company was from NY and although we were in NC at the time, everyone was worried about everyone else so wasn't much getting done that day.

    The ATF stayed at the magazines for 3 days IIRC 24/7 and we couldn't access any powder, so no work for the rest of the week for the most part...

    Lots of emotions that day that I'd like to forget, but never will...
  19. MrWray

    MrWray New Member

    I was working in the prison, i was getting off at 8am and i was waiting for my relief to show up. The inmates tv room was straight across from my office and an inmate came in and told me that an airplane had just hit one of the towers. I then started wondering how an accident like that could happen. It didnt seem like another minute had gone by and the same inmate came back in and told me that another airplane had just hit the other tower. I immediately knew then that it was a terrorist attack, i was relieved by the other officer then i went home and turned the tv on and right then one of the towers fell followed by the other shortly after. I will never forget that day
  20. Rarity

    Rarity Member

    I was in school in Staten Island, the 5th borough in the city they call it. My Grandmother and Grandfather were at work in Manhattan. I was told they were evacuating the area as soon as possible. They have worked on Wall Street for over 20 years and I just remember the TV's acting very strangely that evening.

    Now whenever I cross over to downtown it reminds me of that day. It always gets me.