Where to you put your vertical hand grip?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by ccase39, Oct 1, 2013.

1. ccase39

ccase39 Member

I have seen some put them in middle of the hand rail, some at the very front near the barrel. Where do you put yours? I typically put mine in the middle, but I have one of those that pops into a bipod. Do you think it would be more accurate if I put it on the front?

2. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Those bipods weigh a ton the farther you stick them out on the barrel. I don't use a VFG myself.

3. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I tend to get a VFG out pretty far, because I use it more as a hand stop instead of as a grip. Getting the hand further forward helps control the muzzle and help to drive the muzzle from target to target if you are into action shooting sports.

4. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

As far forward as I can comfortably, I don't care much for vfgs, but when I did run one I used it as more of a hand stop also.

5. Dahamp2003

Dahamp2003 New Member

I agree with all that ^^^^. The vertical foregrip is dying out. The AFG is a better alternative for CQB and run and gun and a harris bipod better for long range. In the words of james Yeager, "Dont come in my class with a damn .308 and a 9.5" barrel. You all say well the .308 round can reach out for 1000 yards and the SBR is for CQB. If you try to make your gun good at everything, youre just going to end up with a gun and doesnt do anything good."

Tend to agree. I had a Grip Pod, but now just an AFG and lay prone to shoot long distance with a sand bag

6. Dahamp2003

Dahamp2003 New Member

I agree with all that ^^^^. The vertical foregrip is dying out. The AFG is a better alternative for CQB and run and gun and a harris bipod better for long range. In the words of james Yeager, "Dont come in my class with a damn .308 and a 9.5" barrel. You all say well the .308 round can reach out for 1000 yards and the SBR is for CQB. If you try to make your gun good at everything, youre just going to end up with a gun and doesnt do anything good."

Tend to agree. I had a Grip Pod, but now just an AFG and lay prone to shoot long distance with a sand bag

7. bwraven

bwraven New Member

I put my VFG in the garbage.

I now use AFG's. As far forward as possible to give finer muzzle control.

8. Gizord1

Gizord1 New Member

Well james yeager also said he would start shooting people an the 1911 blows.
    Not disagreeing, just sayin yeager doesn't know what he's talkin about half the time.

9. Gizord1

Gizord1 New Member

I also dislike VFGs.
    I see their value, and that some peeps prefer them, but as personal preference, I prefer the standard stock.

10. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

I don't use them, but AVG and VFG have their place, they especially are useful when your handguards get hot during long strings of fire. I do try and put my hands as close to the grip as possible but, one drill had us covering elevated positions. A couple people with VFGs really far forward ended moving them back a bit after the drill.

11. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

"Where to you put your vertical hand grip? "

I keep it in my jeans most of the time, except when I have to pee or have a better use for it.
    :cool:

12. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I simply glue a tie tack or a hat pin on the forestock for a handstop. They are easy to shape. If you like to change the medallion it can be attached with two sided tape.

13. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

I have a carbine length AR with the Magpul MOE handguard. For me, right in the middle works standing and shooting (I have always held my hand right in front of the trigger guard while shooting a long rifle, that equates to the same position with the stock completely extended out)

I also have toyed around with different shooting positions and I think it really comes down to shoulder width, arm length and how your cheek weld lines up. In other words they are adjustable for that reason, individual preference and build

14. BRAD313

BRAD313 New Member

I would like to see a pick off a tie tack for a hand stop I never seen would like to what u guys are talking about

15. ccase39

ccase39 Member

I had been battling with deciding weather or not I like the VHG for a while now. I bought an AFG today and it feels really good. Will take it to the range this weekend and see. I have an AK coming in and cant wait to get out there anyway.
    I do like shooting with a bipod though. Any recommendations on a good bipod I could use in tandem with the VFG?

16. Dahamp2003

Dahamp2003 New Member

Get a Grip Pod. If you want both thats probably the best weight less clutter option.

17. Dahamp2003

Dahamp2003 New Member

Thats funny, because I only agree with him half the time. Haha

18. hoovco

hoovco New Member

I've had all kinds of VFGs and AFGs. I don't like em. I think a lot of people get em because cool guys with beards have em. Sometimes simplicity is the best option.

19. orangello

orangello New Member

My crotch???????

20. ccase39

ccase39 Member

Ive got one. Just havent decided if I like the grip. I just put on my AFG and it feels pretty good, gotta go shoot. TBH I may take that off and go au natural.