where to put a pistol safe

Discussion in 'Gun Safes' started by Crazycastor, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

I just bought a pistol safe and having a hard time figuring out where to put it and what to bolt it down to. I want it close to the bed. Do I bolt it to the wall or the night stand. Its to big to go under the bed and inside a drawer. Anyone else have this same problem?

2. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

Since mine leaves my holster at bed time and joins me in slumber, I don't need a safe convenient to the bed.

Wall is a good bet. Unlock it at night, lock it in the morning if you don't carry.

3. JW357

JW357 New Member

Depends on the type of safe you bought. Mine just sits on my nightstand.

4. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

This method works great for protecting children.
    For this, it needn't be nailed down.

5. Missouribound

Missouribound Well-Known Member

My master bath, in the bedroom. It's bolted down under the sink cabinet, out of sight. My .357 sleeps there. But my Bodyguard sleeps on the window sill....3 feet from my bed.

6. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

Didn't even think about unlocking it at night and locking it in the morning. Good looking out. I attached it to the side of my night stand. Maybe not the besy place but I have a towel like thing already on my night atand so I figured I would get a bigger one and let it drape over the safe to keep it out of prying eyes. My wife said to bolt the night stand to the wall. I said naw. Just hope she isn't right. Hate to have to replace a gun and a nitestand.

7. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

The wife and I have been practicing opening it up in the dark. Wished the buttons didn't make noises but I figure my dog will be making more noise then the buttons. So if they hear the dog and the buttons being pushed they should know whats coming next. Right?

8. JW357

JW357 New Member

You can disable the beeping sounds on some models. Check the owners manual.

9. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

And no beeping sounds if you need it in the middle of the night.

10. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

Make sure you have some form of dehumidifier gel or what fits in the safe to fit the humidity factor. The safe being positioned in the bathroom, with humidity from the shower can effect over time.

11. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

just one safe?

No children in the house

One or more firearms are out at all times someone is home

12. kirbinster

kirbinster New Member

mine sits between the wall and my dresser. While it is not bolted to the floor or wall (wife would not allow that) it is bolted to two 2"x4"s that are 8' long and run behind the dresser. That would require that someone move the dresser to move the safe and either have a saw to cut them off or try to maneuver around the house with a pair of 8' studs and then try to fit it in a car like that. Won't stop a really determined crook, but will stop kids.

13. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Our pistols are not locked up at night. No kids in the house so pistols sit at the ready in a sock drawer. shotgun is close by too. Others quick to get are in a wall safe behind, a, something. Thens theres the big safe down stairs.

14. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I would bolt it to the wall. If the gun, safe and nightstand are stolen are you really gonna care about the safe and the nightstand? :eek:

15. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

I think anywhere you put it it will get pried off and stolen. Its just to keep it out of kids hands.

16. Missouribound

Missouribound Well-Known Member

Most of my guns are in a couple of safes in a walk in closet....close the door and nobody kinow it's there. I have a "bed buddy" for my carry gun, and a under cabinet safe for the .357. I have no children living here, but if any visit they have no idea I have weapons. I do have a range on my property, out of sight from the house. But curious fingers from little ones have nothing to find.
    Put your safe whee it will do the most for you and those you want to protect.

17. GTX63

GTX63 New Member

There still room for chips and beer too.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  18. Javierzzz28

Javierzzz28 New Member

Only me in my house have no children...so it is safe

19. AR10

AR10 New Member

Not good enough.

Police officer gets off work, walks through his house undressing towards the bathroom. Puts his gun on the bed. Girlfriend sees his car home, and while baby sitting a neighbor's toddler, lets herself and toddler in to his apartment with her key, or hidden key. Toddler races ahead of girlfriend, finds gun on bed, and in a bedroom all alone the only sound both adults hear is boom.

Toddler shoots his head off his shoulders.

Your responsibility to stow your firearm does not end once inside your home.

20. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

That's a bit of a stretch.