Where to Keep my Home Protection Pistol.

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by cmorrow781, Sep 2, 2013.

1. cmorrow781

cmorrow781 New Member

I am new to owning weapons. I have a GP100 357/38 sp. and a Ruger Mark II.
    I have them in a locked case in my closet right now. My concerns are 1) I have children and I want them locked but I also want the 357 easily accessed for home defense. 2) Keeping them in my closet seems like the ideal place for a burglar to see the case and just take my guns easily if there was ever a break in and we were not home. I guess I am just fishing for advice on where I can keep my home defense gun. My thought was to obviously have a larger gun safe but I just can't afford one right now. Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

best suggestion is one of the biometric pistol gun safes. they allow you fast access to you pistol and can be programmed to whomever you wish to have access. they are not too terribly expensive. my brother has one, because he has two young daughters.

3. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have a cheap safe I bought at harbor freight for something like $29. It is bolted to the shelf in my closet. It would not stop a determined burglar. But it would stop the kids.

I also have night stands that have a hidden drawer inside of another drawer. If you don't already know it is there...you wouldn't find it. Very cool. I leave my carry gun in there at night. I take it with me every morning.

4. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

5. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Then bolt it to the walls and or floor also

6. kaido

kaido New Member

7. glocknloaded

glocknloaded New Member

A larger gun safe can be hard to swing at times and I understand but I think it's extremely important. Maybe not a 24 gun but something solid that can be bolted down.

I did notice Walmart running a special on a 24 gun safe for 499.. Maybe worth selling the Ruger and having something safe that you can also grow into.

8. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Keep that .357 on you and deadbolt the closet.

9. JW357

JW357 New Member

Why would you suggest he sells his home defense gun to make money to buy a gun safe and not have a home defense weapon to put in it?

That makes less than no sense.

Or did you mean the MKII?

10. JW357

JW357 New Member

OP, +1 for an easy bedside gun safe. You can bolt them down or latch them to your property in some way. That's what we currently use for our HD handguns. We also have kids. Here's mine. It won't stop a crook, as really no safe will if the BG is determined, but its good for kids.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/58...lt-personal-electronic-safe-10-x-8-x-14-black

You could also get an in the wall safe and put a swinging out picture in front of it. They aren't too expensive. Just a quick example from a google search:

http://www.deansafe.com/stack-on-iwc-22-mid-sized-in-wall-cabinet-wall-safe.html

Personally I like the idea of hidden safes. I feel like if a robber doesn't think to look there he can't possibly steal it.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  11. dcilten

dcilten New Member

Yeah, I would go with the MicroVault, if the big concern is just keeping it out of your kids hands. If you have a nightstand you could bolt it on a bottom shelf(if it had shelves) that way it's right next to your bed with a fast opening access if you need it. Here is a small one, that is relatively inexpensive:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000TG9RCC/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1378194830&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

This one even has the holes on the bottom so you can mount it wherever you want.

12. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

84 dollars is not bad. I would get one if they were legal for storage over here.

13. glocknloaded

glocknloaded New Member

I did mean the MKII, sorry..

14. JW357

JW357 New Member

Well that makes more sense haha.

I still don't advocate selling a firearm (when you only have two handguns and they're both good handguns) to fund a large safe. Especially a good pinker like that.

15. glocknloaded

glocknloaded New Member

With having a little one in the house I just like having my big safe bolted down. There are some really smoking deals out there right now so I just threw it out there.

All a matter of preference

16. utf59

utf59 New Member

Keep it on your person until bedtime. Then put it in a bedside safe.

I have a 4-year-old, and my gun goes into a biometric safe that lives on my bedside table. I like the fingerprint reader because it provides quick access, and my kid can't guess the combination. It's not meant to defeat burglars. If there's a burglar in the house and I'm away, the gun is with me and the safe is empty. If there's a burglar in my house when I'm home, the gun is in my hand.

17. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

I must be missing something here... whats wrong with a drawer by the bed? Under the mattress? In a holster hanging behind the headboard? Under a pillow? The top shelf of a closet under a blanket? There's plenty of ways to keep a gun and kids cohabitated safely without expensive ugly bedside safes.

My kids learn about guns before they learn their letters. Even if they found one of mine hidden somewhere they wouldn't touch it. They have plenty of opportunities to handle them when I'm around. No curiosity, no motivation, any time they want to mess with one they ask and I always say "yes" or "in just a minute" and make time for them.

The mother in law freaked once because I left one on the kitchen table while I was cleaning it (went down the hall to grab a tool). She went to move it and the kids told her "if you touch that and daddy's not here you will die." and "Nobody touches Daddy's guns without him." She picked it up anyway and they ran down the hall screaming for me at the top of their lungs, they were furious with her for hours. I egged it on since it was the mother in law :D. I trust them but they haven't found anything I wanted to keep hidden so its a non issue.

18. JW357

JW357 New Member

That's exactly how I plan on teaching my kids about guns when they're a tiny bit older (one is almost two, the other was just born). Introduce them to it and let them handle it and whatnot, so there's no curiosity. Teach them the rules and even show them what guns can do (via a watermelon or something). Take away the curiosity and there won't be a problem as long as the kids in question are mature enough for such things.

Basically I believe if most children were taught about guns from an early age, there would be less of a stigma against guns when they become adults. If certain gun-grabbing politicians had been positively introduced at an early age, they might not be trying to take everyone's guns away.

19. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

Good plan. Dont wait though! My little girl got her start helping me load mags as soon as she could count to 3 and pick up bullets without eating them. She calls them "gun batteries."

20. FAS1

FAS1 Member

Something like this will provide reasonable security (7GA Steel) when bolted to something solid. Could be the bedframe, nightstand, or even better anchored to the floor. Has room for your MKII laying to the right side (gas spring is on the left to open the door).

[​IMG]