Firearms Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1916 Spanish Mauser that was built in 1932. I went the gunsmith today to get it checked out and to make sure it’s safe to shoot. Well, it’s not I have no head space. I have been trying to find a bolt head, but have had zero luck. Does anyone know where I can find one? I know these aren’t popular but I don’t want to make this a wall hanger.

·
Premium Member
13,152 Posts
It is not unusual on those rifles to have headspace issues. Is it 7MM or .308? Numrich doesn't show any, so your best bet may be ebay. As many bad ones that are in circulation, somebody must be parting them out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is not unusual on those rifles to have headspace issues. Is it 7MM or .308? Numrich doesn't show any, so your best bet may be ebay. As many bad ones that are in circulation, somebody must be parting them out.
it is 7MM.

·
Premium Member
4,475 Posts
Is the Spanish and Chilean the same rifle. Might just be. Any way, a search shows some possible places. Probably have to get on the phone with several of them and see what they may have.
Also, check ebay for sure.
Either way, I'll bet you won't find that part. Most likely will need a complete bolt. Gonna take time and phone calls to get any where.

·
Premium Member
13,152 Posts
it is 7MM.
Up until the very time that Samco went out of business, you could buy nice model 1916s in .308 for $79.00, they weren't even attempting to market the 7MM versions. I recently saw a post from a fellow who had bought 40 or 50, apparently from CAI, and he was complaining about the condition of them. Few of them would pass a headspace check, plus they had a heck of a lot of other issues. He was a little sour abut his experience.

If the rifle is in good shape, other than the headspace issue, be patient, look around, eventually you will find your part, but keep in mind, when you buy a used one, it may be no better than the one you have.

If you aren't able to make it shootable, you won't be the first. Sitting three feet from where I am typing is a Spanish 7MM that was shot completely out. It will keyhole at ten yards.....It looks good, it head-spaced OK, but it is wall-hanging junk.

Reactions: Oldoutlaw

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
My 1916 has a one piece bolt with the locking lugs milled in the bolt not a seprate bolt head like a LeeEnfield or a Mosin.
Side by side my 1916 and Argentine 1891 look the same, in fact the bolt from the 1891 Argentine will go right in the model 93 1916 action.
The only real difference is the 1891 bolt face is round in crossection (bottom face of bolt) and the M93 1916 bolt face has a squared off bottom bolt face.
Otherwise the ejector slot ligns up and the bolt stop locks, both safties are the same.
So the square bottom must have something to do with picking up cartridges from the magazine in the M 93 1916?🤔

·
Premium Member
4,233 Posts
I have a 1916 Spanish Mauser that was built in 1932. I went the gunsmith today to get it checked out and to make sure it’s safe to shoot. Well, it’s not I have no head space. I have been trying to find a bolt head, but have had zero luck. Does anyone know where I can find one? I know these aren’t popular but I don’t want to make this a wall hanger.
Mauser Model 1893, Spanish 93/1916, yes?

Check Numrich @ GunPartsCorp.com. Looks like they're currently out of stock, but here's the website page reference: Search | Numrich Gun Parts .

Looks like there's a bolt on eBay for sale: Turkish Mauser Bolt 1893 mauser 93 complete spanish small ring | eBay .

Liberty Tree Collectors has a collection of Spanish/Chilean Mauser bolts. Uncertain if in-stock: Spanish Mauser Model 1893 Bolt Complete .

·
Premium Member
13,152 Posts
Again, a bolt change may not help. There are basically two possibilities, short bolt or long throat. If the excessive headspace is caused by throat erosion, a new '"spec" bolt won't help. Rifle chambers and bores wear out. Many of those old 7MM rifles were shot to the point of destruction, then mothballed. The real question becomes how much money and effort do you spend chasing after making the rifle shootable?

There are potentially many reasons why you might want to fix the rifle, none of which has anything to do with the cost of the process. I do not mean to discourage the OP from trying, just warning of what he may be getting into.

I will say this, anyone who likes old military bolt actions, and plans to shoot them, should carry one of these devices, in the proper caliber, to the pawn shop, gun show, or gun shop.
DSCN2262.JPG

·
Registered
539 Posts
When I was a boy... always wanted to say that... A rifle with excessive head space - the usual problem - was fixed by 'setting the barrel back' removing barrel from action, cutting off a bit of the barrel base and reinstalling the barrel. Then the rifle was re-chambered in the original cartridge and it was fixed.
This would be more complicated in a military configuration rifle, as the barrel would have to be re-installed with the sights lined up and to fit the stock. A sporterized rifle with exposed barrel and telescopic sights would be obviously easier.
Then again, the gunsmith might balk at this, as the barrel could be worn to the point of uselessness. But it is a thought.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Right, get another bolt and you may have exactly the same problem. Military 7x57 is not identical to our 7mm Mauser. I share the thinking that the rifle would have to be in extra-ordinary good condition for the average 1916 Mauser to justify the effort.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts