Where to find .308 Saiga furniture

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by PatrickHarrison, Oct 21, 2011.

1. PatrickHarrison

PatrickHarrison New Member

Lookin for somethin afforadle to dress up my saiga .308 any pointers ?

2. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

Wood, synthetic or tactical?

3. Mrpbrute

Mrpbrute New Member

I'm sure if you get it converted, you can buy from cheaperthandirt.

4. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man New Member

Try this guy his shipping is only $5 for everything.
    RCM Gun Parts

5. PatrickHarrison

Thanks people i just got a saiga .308 and put a beefy scope on it and plannin on makin it look sniper

6. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man New Member

Great, have you had it to the range yet, how good does it shoot?

7. PatrickHarrison

My saiga .308 shoots moa at 100 yards the trigger is awesome long and smooth, the kick soft even with hollow stock, universal to ammo with accuracy, bolt is smooth no jamming no rounds go flyin every were making a mess all around perfect gun its all i need now for the .308 is universal in Texas from pronghorns up north whitetail in central and muleys down south and watever falls between is fair game for a 180 grain remington soft point! Highly recomended gun good price plenty of options for the gun. i have a scope mount with top and side mounts the huge scope for critters from here to there on top and lazer for clearin close quarters on the side, optics are epic on this wonderful gun so are lights and lazers plus furniture. The 8 round clip is perfect even tho one shot one kill is how its suppose to be **** happens and woundin occurs ive always liked large magazines for hunting for quick follow up shots then a large 30 round i believe magazine is available for targets or varmints. For a strong reliable action of the tough and rough in all terrain and weather ak-47…… this is what ill use till its gone or im gone.

8. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

Try these people:

carolinashooterssupply.com Home Page

What kind of scope mount are you using and how big is the scope?
    Just like M14s Saiga 308s like to eat scopes if they're mounted on a less than adequate mount. A set power scope will survive longer but the variables will go pretty quick if you do a good bit of shooting.

One moa out of a Saiga? Um...right...I'm going to need proof before I trust that claim. Saiga's dont usually get 2 moa unless your on a lead sled or something like that with custom handloaded ammo.

9. csspecs

csspecs New Member

Half the fun of saiga rifles is making them the way you want.

The stock front end is fairly good for field use. A word of caution with scopes, be sure to leave a gap between the rear site and scope tube. You would be shocked at how much the scope moves in recoil.

I went with the Dinzag gas tube and lower retainer. And did the trigger conversion on mine. (I make the steel mags for the saiga and vepr .308s) We make a pretty solid 10 round that is about the same size as the factory 8 round. And a stamped steel 20 that will be out in about a month or so.

[​IMG]

10. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Good looking Saiga.

Dinzag has a great reputation. I'd much rather give him my $ than some over priced swap meet like CTD.

11. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

Awesome looking Saiga man. How much did that run you price wise?

I'm probably going to look like an @$s for asking this but.. What's the practicality in the saiga 308 like that? I woudnt mind putting one of these against a metric FAL to see how they match up on a lot of catigories like wieght modularity, durability, accuracy, reliability, parts availability, and of course the bottom line: price.

12. csspecs

csspecs New Member

Not everything is so simple as which is better.

I think I paid $430 for my rifle, I got ripped as at the time since common retail was $350.

Stock set I got for like $35 as an ugly set, trigger set was $30, Top cover was $10 again an ugly that I to the tends out of.

Technically the front handguard retainer and gas tube would be $125. However I have a machine shop so I made my own set. Which after my time and machine time it would have been cheaper to buy. Dinzag makes good parts for a good price.

You could have the same set up for $630 or so with a little work. Mag cost is higher, our 20rd steel mags run about 50 each. The new stamped model will likely be 45.

Its hard to beat an AK for a field rifle. Accuracy is about 2-3 MOA, which is about what you get from most auto loaders in real world conditions. Aside from that I think it starts getting to an apple to oranges comparison.

A more fair comparison would be a Galil .308. When you compare the two the Saiga shines in price and accessory availability. Good galil mags are like 100 each.

13. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

Hm, I've never had any personal experience with any Galils. I have with FALs and the Saiga 308 somewhat.
    Paying $750 or more isnt uncommon and its ordinance grade steel receiver so its probably heavier, never had the chance to compare side by side.
    My main concern would be a scope mount on these things, mostly because my vision I need a low-medium mag scope to compensate for what others can do with iron sights out at a typical shooting distance short of 300 yards.
    FALs arent hard to get ahold of with the duty rail and does pretty well. I've got a Krebs rail on my AK47 for the longer sight radius, is there something kind of like that for the Galil or Saiga?

14. csspecs

csspecs New Member

There are a few options for low profile scope mounts. The Txweapons mount is one that comes to mind. There are also a few mounts that go on the scope mount rail, that can be lowered to be a low profile.

Low profile is good because otherwise you only get a chin weld and that screws up your repeatability.

I've shot more then a few respectable groups with brown bear ammo (cheap crap). Most are between 2-4 inchs at 100 yards.