Where To Draw the Line on Guns with Friends

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by TheSadPanda, Jul 29, 2010.

1. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

Please bare with me through my story so I can get to my question.

So me and my best friends airsoft pretty regularly. The problem that I am having with them though is that they will NOT practice firearm safety! I am constantly telling them to stop pointing the guns at my face, and most of the time im not even wearing eye protection when they do it :eek: I also tell them that they're going to end up pulling the trigger on accident and really do some damage (I have a scar just above my eye that bled for an entire day, but thats another story). Still won't listen. Well tonight I found out that one of them did indeed point the gun at his own brother and accidently pulled the trigger. Shot him right in the chest :mad: The damage was minimal, but the this is where the problem comes in.

I own actual firearms, and like to take people with the range to me. I can't stop thinking about how if we were at an actual range, and he was next to me, he would have put a 40 S&W right into the center of my chest.

So the question I pose to everybody is... Is it wrong of me to completely restrict my friend from gun use? especially of my own firearms. I feel he can't be trusted. But I don't want to over react. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as I take my firearms VERY seriously!!

Thank you!

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Airsoft is a good aid to firearm safety training (in most cases). Refusal to partake when unsafe practices are being used is the smart thing to do. Old habits are hard to break, and you do have to think of real firearm safety even with Airsoft.

3. Maddmedic

Maddmedic New Member

The 4 Rules still apply and you should remind them.

I would not be comfortable with your friends at the range.

4. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I personally would not allow them to touch any firearm in my presence if they can't follow simple safety rules, airsoft or not.

I would explain that to them and if they aren't willing to change you'll be doing a lot of shooting by yourself. 95% I shoot alone.

5. orangello

orangello New Member

You should show them the pic & thread from last week in which a mostly safe shooter made one tiny mistake & put a .40 through his hand & arm & then show them your .40 ammo.

6. amoroque

amoroque New Member

From what you are saying, I think you know the answer.
    If you feel he can't be trusted, then you know what to do.

I know it would be tough, but, firearms are life and death.

7. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Indeed, what Spitty said.

I value my firearms and demand serious safety and respectful behavior around them and their use at all times like I do my wife.

Mistreat, disrespect. mishandle or do something to jeopardize safety to either one...then we got a serious problem. :mad:

Jack

8. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I would not consider any one that stupid as my "friend". Airsoft or not, he is an idiot. He would NEVER touch one of my firearms and I would not play airsoft with him again. I expect to see him in the news soon.

9. PTsouthpaw

PTsouthpaw New Member

I have many friends who I like to go shooting with, with all ranges of firearm experience. I have never had an incident where one of the friends i brought with me made me feel unsafe (although i have corrected some of their unsafe actions). That being said, i also have friends who i refuse to take shooting, because of their general immaturity about handling firearms (and refusal to listen). If you have tried to show/demonstrate real firearm safety to them, and they stick to being an idiot, you are completely right not to allow them to handle your weapons.

I have 15 and 16 year old cousins who I feel safer at the range with then some of my friends my age (and older). I always pick my "shooting buddies" carefully.

10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

I shoot with my grandkids, who have VERY good range manners. But I have seen some very tall childern out there. They should be limited to cap guns, or pointing fingers and yelling "BANG!" until they grow up.

Gee- what WAS that line from Forrest Gump? Oh- "Stupid is as stupid does."

11. rugermatt

rugermatt New Member

you can't stop them from shooting their own firearms, but you can stop them from shooting with you. my 5 year old son amd i shoot cans with airsoft in the back yard and i teach him complete fire arm safety. i do this because he will carry this with him later in life. a gun in the hand of an unsafe idiot is a lethal weapon to theirselves as well as anyone with in range. i am all about 2nd ammendmant rights, but there should be a mandatory safety class for first time buyers of firearms of any kind. this could save many lives. i don't generally take newbies in the woods to shoot with me, but i have and i tell them the rules, it's common sense to me, and will be with my children. not growing up around guns can be good for the right people i guess, untill you decide that you want to own one. i have acuused even my own father of being reckless with a weapon (he learned his lesson when he shot a hole through the floor, and then another through the window) so even experienced gun owners could use a reality check every once in a while. i was brain washed at parris island about gun safety, many others have not had this experience. guys like your friend need to just stick with airsoft guns, losing an eye, while painfull and unfortunate doesn't cause death. we call our firearms toys, but they are anything but, they are deadly things, and should be treated as such. maybe when a bg walks ito your friends house he can shoot his eyes out with his toy gun, my "toys" are deadly and are treated as such no matter who is handling them.

12. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

Thank you everybody for your responses. It seem pretty unanymous that my friend(s) shouldnt be shooting with me. I'm really glad that im reacting accordingly by not having them shoot with me. Whats really impressive is that you all brought up different yet valid pointts as to why :)

On a side note, robocop, i cant argue that with firearms they are stupid. But theyre still great people, so i ask you to please keep the insults of them to a minimum. Thank you!

13. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Safety can take a back seat to nothing.

14. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

Time to ramp up the standards.

15. IDVague

IDVague New Member

It isn't hard to answer that one because I have experience in the matter. I can think of three people who I have shot with once and once only for the same reason. They are not kids and should know better, so I decided immediately to take no chances with them. I recommended each to take a firearms safety class, but stopped short of saying it was that or never shoot with me again. All three thought the idea was a waste of time, thinking that was only for people who were interested in concealed carry permits. I know others who I have never shot with and never will because of stories I have heard from trusted friends. The best time to make the right decision is before you or someone else gets hurt.

16. Flint Rock

Flint Rock New Member

I once read that,
    "Advice is what you ask for when you already know the answer, but wish you didn't."
    I think that is the case here. Tell your friend(s) to follow basic gun safety or you will no longer shoot together.

17. JonathanGlass

JonathanGlass New Member

do you mean air rifle or airsoft? I mean i've played airsoft with friends but wear eye protection

18. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

I think back on some of the stupid/irresponsible things we did as youthful shooters and shudder. We knew and practiced proper safety, but also chose to act crazy and show off. I could not imagine watching, much less engaging in such acts nowadays.

If your "friends" can't even treat an airsoft in a safe manner, do yourself a favor and don't even consider letting them around a "real" gun.

19. Davyboy

Davyboy New Member

I am with C3 on this one drop these kids and find some grown ups to shoot with

20. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

You mean you didn't punch him in the dam face when he pointed the gun at you?

After I beat his ass down and kicked him in the dam junk. I would then tell him he is no longer allowed on the range with me. Pack up and go home.

I have a zero tolerance policy with gun safety. You screw up I am going to have a field day with you. You follow my rules or your out. I may give you a ride if you don't piss me off to bad.

Guns can be fun but they made of cause destruction of what ever is on the receiving end of them.