Where to buy

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by rferguson61, Oct 21, 2011.

1. rferguson61

rferguson61 New Member

New user and I'm not really sure where to put this thread but I figured that this was the most fitting...but sorry if I put it in the wrong catagory. Anyways, I have recently learned about carving gunstocks. Im not talking about relief carving a scene onto a stock but carving the actual stock out of blank. Im trying to find where to buy the rest of the gun. I dont even know what to really search for... Im not looking for anything fancy at all...just a plain bolt action hunting rifle. Thanks for your help.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Well, back in the day, rifles consisted of a lock, stock, and barrel. Now a bit more complicated.

The "rest of the gun" could mean different things, depending on the rifle.

The key ingredient is the receiver. The receiver, or frame is LEGALLY the gun. Everything else is parts. Barrels is parts, triggers is parts, magazines is parts- but receivers is GUNS- meaning you have paperwork to do with a dealer, even if what you are buying is incomplete.

You might start by on line shopping for USED guns over at auctionarms.com and gunbroker.com. DO remember that you need to consider shipping fees and FFL fees when you estimate what you want to pay. AFTER you have rifle in hand, THEN make a stock for it.

SWSinTN likes this.

3. boomenshutzen

boomenshutzen New Member

I believe what you're looking for are barreled receivers.

4. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I would suggest (like c3shooter) that you just buy a complete gun and re-stock it. Might very well be cheaper doing it that way. Plus you will have an example to look at when you do the inletting.

5. orangello

orangello New Member

6. rferguson61

rferguson61 New Member

Thanks guys! I agree that a barreled reciever is what I was looking for. BUT like you suggested restocking a gun might be better especially for my first time. I want something cheap...i dont even care what caliber just to play around with. Also, thanks for the definitions. Im (obviously, im sure) new to the gun world. This will be my first gun (unless I break down and buy a hunting rifle for the season). If you know a good place to buy barrled receivers for the future that would be cool. Or even better ive seen gun kits (all/or most the parts in a package and you assemble it) but I can't remember where.

7. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I tried to Google this and couldn't find the answer. What's the difference between a receiver and a barrelled receiver?

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Winds, one has a barrel already attached to the receiver. Saves (supposedly) the owner from having to headspace the barrel to the receiver. Receiver alone allows the owner to choose what barrel/caliber they want to use the receiver with.

9. orangello

orangello New Member

If you want an unusual project, there are a couple of pieces at classicarms.net that you might find interesting. They have receivers for a mosin nagant, stripped of bolt and trigger group. They also have heavy target barrels for them that came from a machine gun of the same caliber.

Firearms

It would not be an easy project & you would want a gunsmith's help at some point.

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

if i was going to do a bolt gun from the ground up i would prolly go with savage. they sell their recievers and the way the barrels attach is more like setting up a ar15. you end up with a nice do it yourself shooter.

11. rferguson61

rferguson61 New Member

Thanks. I like Savage so to use them for the guts sounds good to me. Is it just the reviever or is it a barreled receiver and where do you buy them

12. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Ah, I see. Thank you.