Where To Buy Custom Grips?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by user4, May 27, 2009.

1. user4

user4 New Member

Anyone know of a good custom shop for grips? I'm thinking ivory grips with wired aces... now that I think of it, is the ivory trade still in tact or have they gone the way of dinosaurs?

2. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I do beleive that there is a world wide ivory trade embargo (ahem, when I say world wide, I mean the western world) currently. I've seen some super mother-of-pearl ones. Have you checked the thread about "How's about nice grips"? I'm sure you have. Fwiw, there are some strong plastics out there that look like ivory. I think tango can help you with some napalm if you like the smell.

3. Sarge43

Sarge43 New Member

Natural elephant Ivory is still available, it just has to be "pre ban". I have a couple of slabs sitting on my dresser. I'm almost afraid to cut them after what I paid for them. There are alternatives however, if you don't want to pay the relatively high price for ivory. Camel bone resembles ivory, but you have to pick the scales carefully as it can range from all white to more of an aged look to a down right mastadon ivory look. Of course, there are a number of simulated ivory's out there.
    There are a number of makers out there as well.
    Hope this info helps, and good luck in your search!
    Sarge

4. WAREAGLE

WAREAGLE New Member

If you'd like to try local shops, they seem to have a good knowledge of where you can find the materials you need or sellers locally of grips. Its how I came upon mine.

5. user4

user4 New Member

I wonder how many skilled artisans that deal with such materials for the purpose of making pistol grips actually exist in the world?

6. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

7. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

So how much does pre-ban ivory go for these days?

8. Sarge43

Sarge43 New Member

I found some 1/4" scales that were just big enough to use for a set of grips and make them fit the frame well, and they were $165 raw. They are beautiful, but geeze, I'm almost afraid to cut into them. :rolleyes: Most natural Ivory grips I've seen are $250 and up. There are also at least 3 different grades of Ivory. From consistent and "clean" down to colored and fissured. Obviously, the quality stuff is the most expensive.
    There is a list of grip makers that work with natural Ivory on another board, but since it IS another board, I won't plaster it here. If someone is interested, just PM me and I'll give you the addy.
    Sarge

9. user4

user4 New Member

Now, I've seen that thread with all the grips. Am I to understand that Sarge MADE all these??? OMG. You are brilliant!

10. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

He has a website that you can purchase them from.

11. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Last edited: May 28, 2009
  12. user4

user4 New Member

13. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

There are elephants that are taken legally now. You can kill a mean old bull for money. Usually the meat goes to the natives in the area, but you can actually keep the tusks. I guess shipping is a *****, but they are yours to keep. Head mount as well. I'm not sure what is legal after you manage to get them to the states. I think there would be a problem if you tried to profit from them other than a loan to a museum and take the tax break. If you wish, sponsor me to go to Africa, and I will shoot a mean old bull for you legally, at your expense, of course. :D

14. canebrake

canebrake New Member

If you would have clicked the link it would take you to sarge43's Paper Micarta Ivory color grips. Man made, no dead pachyderms legal or illegal! [​IMG]

15. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

What's the prob with a dead mature bull elephant if it is legal? Those are the animals that are taken because they start to stomp villages and kill people. They are legal because they are a menace. The shooter is doing a community service.

16. user4

user4 New Member

Like I said, I read that thread and having read that thread, I saw those grips and they ARE nice. But I look at my gun like a house. Equity is built when you add quality components. Ivory is just pure VALUE, even if something else looks identical. Chances are I won't get them, but I am still in day dream mode over my new Colt.