Where the new production ammo

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by tinbucket, Oct 15, 2020.

1. CZ Newb

CZ Newb Active Member

im one of those "new gun owners". So I know nothing BUT these inflated prices and low supply.

That being said, I have a pretty good stock at the moment. I order mainly from targetsportsusa and i check the website a few times daily etc. If I cared to be more high tech I guess id have alerts on a smart phone and life would be that much easier. If u r a prime member i think u get a 3 hour headstart alert.

One local store will get a pallet of 5.56 in and theyll put it on fbook. They will limit you to 5 boxes (or 3 when it gets lower) but that pallet might last 2-3 weeks or so and you can go daily and somewhat stock up.

The local Dunhams gets in 5.56/223 fairly regularly and 9mm a little less so but you have to check in regularly. People learn the delivery truck schedule but I cant be bothered. They also get in decent amounts of 22LR and you can stock up to a degree. They have lots of 22short so I assume not a lot of people shoot that

There is plenty of 7.62 x 39 at several of the LGS I frequent. just today I bought 3 boxes of red army standard for like 5.99 each. Thats 30c/rd which aint bad for todays environment, compared to more like 60-65 for 223/556. Plenty of Wolf steel case out there.

Dunhams has a good selection of all the hunting rds such as 243, 270, 300WM, 350 legend,450bushmaster yada yada. 6.5 creedmore is all over the place but pricey. Of course im sure the prices are hyperinflated but being a newb I dont have any "normal" to compare to. Almost all of the hunting rds are somewhat over $1/rd.

Dunhams also has tons of shotgun stuff but I hear its almost all birdshot (I know nothing about shotguns but I always see pallets of 12g stuff at dunhams)

if the ONLY gun you had was a 38 i think youd be screwed. I havent seen hardly any 38 anywhere and not much more 357.

Oldoutlaw likes this.
  2. CZ Newb

CZ Newb Active Member

just what u need if u r short on 556

3. donthav1

donthav1 Well-Known Member

I haven't shot my AR, 9mm, or 38 in months, partly bcause of lack of time, partly because i don't want to run out of ammo before it's readily availble again....even though i have a few hundred rounds of each. So i broke out my old Crosman 760 a couple months ago, hadn't shot it in probably 20 years, & had alot of fun with it. Led me to buy a Crosman 1377 pistol. They're good for keeping the skills sharp on the cheap.

Stopped by our local Scheels today. They had quite a bit of rimfire ammo and Fiocchi & Blazer ammo in 9mm, 40, & 45 along with a bunch of Federal 5.56 but were limiting purchases on all of it. One of the local Runnings stores however was out of basically everything except shotgun shells & high dollar hunting ammo.

Like others have said, should've learned from the last few panics.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    CMAB2SA likes this.
  4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

(setting- Central Virginia- or it could be your home state)
    1. There is a snowstorm in the forecast. Run to the store. Buy all the milk and bread you can. The law mandates that in a blizzard, you must make French Toast.

2. It has snowed 8 inches. You are trying to clean snow off your windshield. Using the only tool you have- a credit card. You have been meaning to buy a brush/ scraper, but never got around to it. You need to get to the store so you can buy a snow shovel and some snow-melt before it is all gone.

3. The Weather Geek on Channel fortyeleven is talking about the hurricane somewhere beyond Bermuda that is headed directly for your living room. Rush to the store. Buy all the bottled water and flashlight batteries. The fact that you don't OWN a flashlight is of no concern. Ignore the snow brushes hanging from the clearance rack.

4. TV is talking about the latest "epidemic/ pandemic/ dem-demic". Rush to the store, buy all the Lysol, bleach and hand sanitizer. Ignore the hand soap which is more effective. On the way out, spot someone with two packs of toilet paper. Make a quick U-turn to the toilet paper aisle. Fill cart. Run over old lady trying to get a pack of Depends.

5. Politicians start yapping about defunding the police. News geeks are talking about "mainly peaceful" protests while their remote broadcast van is being torched. Presidential wannabees are proclaiming that they are going to be "coming for your guns". Run to the local gun shop. Angrily accuse the shop owners of holding back ammo/ guns/ flamethrowers "for their friends". Post on FTF about the reasons for the shortages.

[​IMG]

primer1, donthav1, Ghost1958 and 3 others like this.
  5. AgedWarrior

AgedWarrior Well-Known Member

I maintain my supplies in a similar manner, but I focus more on reloading supplies...I do not plan on running out. When prices are right, I buy bulk...

6. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member Supporter

I was measuring in 12 month increments. Only reason I haven't run out, haven't shot since last January :(

This will change, and I will increase stores.

Oldoutlaw likes this.
  7. CZ Newb

CZ Newb Active Member

ive overhead some lulus while shopping for ammo or just browsing.

"mang, yall believin' dis bulls$%6? day aint no shortage of ammo. my son in the military and he say they got plenty bullets"

"i tells u what they needs to do, they needs to limit it to one box per month per househol'"

Oldoutlaw likes this.
  8. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

My Grandaugter went to a small festival today with her boyfriend.
    She called me excited that there were tables full of ammo of all kinds for sale by individuals.
    Which is where alot of ammo goes to guys who pay stockers in stores to buy ammo for them when it comes in.

45 acp fmj, 50 rds 30 to 50 bucks a box depending on which table she was at.

9mm, 40 bucks a box of 50 fmj.
    45 acp jhp, 50 bucks for 20 rds.

Needless to say I did not have her pick any up for me.

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

You want to know the measure of being a TRUE gun nut? When there is a severe ammo shortage, and you get a phone call from the local gun shop, asking if they can borrow a case of 9mm? :p

And THAT is why I get Christmas cards from my LGS!!!

10. CMAB2SA

CMAB2SA Well-Known Member

Maybe. However you have no idea how much I shoot nor do you have any idea how much I have. To each his own.
    I have no ammo issues to worry about.
    If you have as much as you imply tying up all that money........you probably would have been better off investing in something that will pay dividends...
    Me? I never bought on the way to the range but I typically buy what the range sells for one reason and one reason only. I support my range. I want them to stay in business. Pay a little more, yes, BUT it is worth it.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  11. CMAB2SA

You will be alright. To date it has always come back sooner or later. Although this time it might be later.
    It already is coming back but prices are high. It will be interesting to see what they end up at.

Kinda like gas. Did you ever think you would see less than $2 a gallon, assuming your not in Commiefornia.

Besides if you can afford a Shadow u probably can afford ammo.

After all it is only money and it is only worth what one is willing to pay.....

CZ Newb likes this.
  12. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I am in AZ and was at an lgs when some guys from Las Vegas came in and bought $15K worth. They get huge amounts of ammo in but CA and NV buyers are grabbing it. I mentioned I was still thinking of selling off my 40 S&W stuff which includes 1k of ammo. The ammo would bring $800.

Oldoutlaw and Rifling82 like this.
  13. CMAB2SA

What's your number? I got a truck and trailer....j/k.

That is funnmnny, lol.

Ghost1958 likes this.
  14. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

Yep, i still have a few thousand magnum rifle and large pistol primers left over from the "Clinton will outlaw re-loading" buying panic.

15. tinbucket

tinbucket Well-Known Member

I have forgotten how much they cost back then but primers, if you can find them cost about as much as loaded ammo a few months ago. I haven't found Remington 4 1/2 in a long time.

16. austin92

austin92 Well-Known Member

I’m fairly well stocked but not where I’d like to be. Can’t find small pistol mag and I’m out...

17. CZ Newb

CZ Newb Active Member

what exact caliber? I hear 380 and 38 are really hard to find

18. austin92

austin92 Well-Known Member

I was talking about primers that I use to hand load 357 mag

CZ Newb likes this.