Where Should I Live ?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by JW357, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Ohio

7.1%
  2. Oklahoma

10.7%
  3. Texas

28.6%
  4. Arizona

17.9%
  5. North Carolina

17.9%
  6. South Carolina

7.1%
  7. Tennessee

10.7%
  8. Georgia

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. JW357

JW357 New Member

Ok guys, here's the deal. I get out of the Marine Corps in 2017, possibly as early as 2016. I will next more than likely be stationed in Kalifornia again. So I'm not going to be sticking around when my contract is up.

I want to hear compelling arguments for the following states. Of course, gun-friendly is a must. But I also plan on opening a gun store as my business, so pro-business is important as well. I like the idea of open carry, so that's a plus for your state if it does that. However, it's not a requirement. Oh and my wife will probably be a nurse, if that helps at all.

I'm not much interested in the weather. We can adapt to that.

I lived the first 20 years of my life in Ohio, and I still have family there. My wife and I also lived in North Carolina for about a year and a half, and we might go back. She has family in Oklahoma, and I have some family in Texas.

Here are the states we're thinking about: Ohio, Oklahoma, Texas, Arizona, North and South Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia.

Otherwise, I want to hear compelling arguments for each place.

If you think I should live somewhere not in the poll, say so and why.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  2. buckhuntr

buckhuntr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I was born and raised in Georgia, lived there most of my life, but it's crowded now and has way too many yankees there. I've lived in Oklahoma for 12 years now, and I'll probably die here. Oklahoma has my vote.

3. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Kentucky.

Nuff said.

4. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

Tennessee -nice people, great schools, roads AND no ridiculous taxes like Kentucky.

5. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

It is expensive to register the cars.

6. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Rated the most dangerous state in the country.

I'm going North Carolina.
    No license required for open carry, license available for concealed. Pro gun, anti gay.
    Good old God loving American state. Economy is still doing well. Low cost of living.

7. improvised_prepper

improvised_prepper New Member

Utah!

1.Pro-gun
    2.A **** ton of nursing job and schools
    3.Open carry friendly-nobody has even looked at me sideways for doing so.
    4. Your wife can conceal carry in the schools
    5. Great skiing/snowboarding
    6. We could always use more gun stores here :D

8. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Might I suggest a friendly Boomer Sooner? ;) Oklahoma has open carry, great hospitals, extremely lax gun laws, one of the most stable economies in the nation, oh and one of the cheapest places to live

9. bigbomar4

bigbomar4 New Member

My vote is Texas. We are very gun friendly even though open carry hasn't passed yet it will eventually. Everyone here is friendly as long as you stay out of Houston. We have every culture you could want. From hippies down in Austin to ultra conservative out here in west Texas. Lubbock is growing like a weed and the one good out door range around here shut down so If you made it a combo gun store/out door range I'm sure it would be a hit.

10. buckhuntr

buckhuntr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

So why is mine the only vote for Oklahoma? Vote, man, vote!

11. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

My vote for Arizona but I can't vote when on the App. Open Carry & Cont. Carry...CCW from here is good in 35 other States, Very friendly to Vets, Yes Cars are expensive to register here(only downside) and yes we can always use More GS's!! Plus we need more Vets to shoot with and be in our "CO-OP",,..Plus At least 1 person from FTF in Az. that "has your 6" if you ever need that.....

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  12. JW357

JW357 New Member

Isn't Utah a dry state?

Otherwise, it sounds great.

13. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Didn't know there was a poll! Got it in!

14. JW357

JW357 New Member

If I can get my orders changed to NC, that would make the decision stupid-easy. Because we'd just buy a house there and never leave, haha.

Oklahoma is a definite possibility, as my wife's family lives there. Although, truth be told, I'd almost rather stay as far away as possible from her brothers as I could... Not good people... The rest of her family is great, though.

Honestly, if I can't change my orders to NC, and I do have to go back to Kali, TX is probably the front-runner right now. I have to go to TX for a few months worth of training soon, so it would be cool to scope out the area in advance.

Arizona sounds great, and there's a lot of reasons why its on the list at all. Constitutional carry is wonderful. I don't know though. I'm none too fond of snakes, and I understand there's a lot there. Also, I don't like desert that much. I would want some grassy land.

15. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Average is about 5 inches of rainfall a year. :cool:

16. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Texas. varied weather depending on where you live. plus with you having family here and your wife in Oklahoma it would put you both fairly close to both depending on where you lived. compromise there! gun laws are pretty good. job situation is better than some states. lots of land available and some still reasonable in price depending on the area. and it's a big state!

17. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

I have seen 1 Snake Grand total in 20 months living here,..and it was Dead...Further up North Closer to the Canyon Has Tall pines and Grass,..not much Desert. We live right on the line between "high" Desert Country & Tall Pines......If you'd Rather have Trees, Grass & Snow,..It's an Hr. North of Me in Flagstaff...

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  18. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Tis? :rolleyes: ;)

19. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i said it's a big state, not the biggest state!:p

20. bostonscottkelly

bostonscottkelly New Member

Jw357 - maybe North Carolina would be the perfect fit for you after all