Where is the powder?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by marksman957, Nov 15, 2013.

1. marksman957

marksman957 New Member

I am new to reloading shotshells for target, skeet, trap, sporting clays, and I cannot find powder in stock anywhere. I am looking for Alliant American Select specifically. None of the larger online retailers have it and being in NJ no local retailers bother anymore. Any ideas? I know that ammo is still in relatively short supply all around, is this just a symptom of that problem? Should I return my MEC? I want to get this underway.

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I have seen an increased availablity of Red Dot and Green Dot lately. Blue Dot is still scarce, though I happened upon 3 lbs at a local supplier.

Alliant is working 24/7 and cannot keep up with demand. Folks are STILL stockpiling

3. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2184135390/alliant-herco-smokeless-powder

4. noylj

noylj Member

Check ThirdGenerationShootingSupply and PowderValley. Both are currently out. Lohmanarms appears to have 4lb containers available.
    I've been looking for Power Pistol for over a year and keep wondering if Alliant is even making it any more or if they are only making the powders that are most in demand.
    Right now, as it has been since O was re-elected, you pretty much have to be flexible and take whatever powder you can find that will work.
    In your case, shotgun loads tend to be very specific in terms of powder to be used with a specific shell and wad.
    If you have a trap and skeet club nearby, you might check if they have any powder.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  5. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Sportsman's Warehouse usually has Red Dot and Green Dot. Both are excellent shotshell powders.

6. marksman957

marksman957 New Member

I found some Unique and Red Dot nearby at Dunkelbergers in Stroudsburg. Pa. Great shop. Had primers and wads too. I am all set for now but would like to get larger quantities next time. They only sell 1lb. Containers.

7. Rocky7

Rocky7 New Member

It's not coming to Canada, that's for sure.

There is "0" Alliant powder anywhere in Alberta. Dribbles of IMR and Hodgdon come in and then are immediately gone. I doubt it will be any better for a year at least.

8. Eagle1803

Eagle1803 New Member

I can't even find Win231, thats my favorate and seems its everybody elses to. will try at the gun show this weekend.

9. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

I just wish I could find some IMR-4895.. :( :(

10. marksman957

marksman957 New Member

I was able to get an 8# keg of Alliant American Select from a friend who was coming east over T'giving. That will hold me for a while but his distributor told him not to hold his breath waiting for next availability. A LGS told me guys are buying any powder they have in stock even though they have never used it before and may not be sure of recipe. I hope I am never shooting next to them.

11. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I found Ramshot Silhouette today At Ozark Sportsman Supply in Springdale AR . WOOHOO!!!:):):) Been trying to get my hands on some since SHTF. They had a very good selection of powder but did have a 2lb limit which wasn't a problem because that was all they had left. It is improving here slowly.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  12. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

This is going to be one of our "Key" questions we ask suppliers @ SHOT...well try and get all the answers on Video,..as well as ask the ammo companies about 22's non-Availability....

13. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Powder is very scarce up here. Primers, brass and all other components are all here, but powder. Id gladly pay u on tuesday for a pound of H4381 today ! :D

14. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

FYI
    American Rifleman magazine this month has article about this....

15. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

So I heard....but lots of folks are asking Why?