Where is all this RIA love coming from?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by DodgerBlue, Feb 11, 2012.

1. DodgerBlue

DodgerBlue New Member

I remember when junk was junk. RIA is what like somali pirates use.

Now all of a sudden they're being compared to Colts and Mimbers.

Then I see 1911 honks bashing the Taurus 1911 then in the same breath drop to their knees and sing praises about RIA I get confused.

Is it just internet bias? One person reads somewhere that a Taurus jammed on him. Then reads one place where a RIA worked really well. And that sets the tone for the whole internet community.?

IMO, Taurus is light years ahead of many gunmakers including the flavor of the month RIA.

Still, my SIG 1911 pwnes all!! :D

2. Toll13

Toll13 New Member

Somali pirates use AKs too so that isn't really a comparison for junk. I've never shot an RIA so I don't know how quality is but my buddy's has never failed him. Maybe they improved quality

Sent from a Droid...but not the Droid you are looking for. Move along.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012

3. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Not even real sure of what exactly you're asking:confused:
    The praise i exspect comes from RIA owners (me included -I've owned four)
    The statement that "Taurus is light years ahead of many gunmakers including the flavor of the month RIA." is well----just wrong :rolleyes:

Edited to change the word stupid to wrong--dont want to be rude-everyone deserves a opinion, no matter how wrong ---

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  4. DodgerBlue

DodgerBlue New Member

ever the gentleman Hoss :p

5. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I dont have an RIA per say, but my High Standard is made by Armscor too. Its the best money ive ever spent on a gun, its been 100% reliable and accurate for 1,300rds. Alot of people have been seeing alot of the same results from the RIA.

6. DodgerBlue

DodgerBlue New Member

Who's side are you on??!!

7. MrWray

MrWray New Member

My side, lol

Calm down brother, we are all on the same side :)

8. rugerjazzkohai

rugerjazzkohai New Member

I believe that everyone has a right to their opinion and saying so, here's mine. Truthfully I have never fired a Taurus 1911 but I have owned a different model line. I was so disappointed with this Taurus model it caused me to never want to try or own another even their 1911. I also own a Kimber and paid 2 xs as much as the RIA and it started to malfunction. I've owned for three months now and shot over 1200 rounds. I wanted to believe that at this cost, it should go thru hell and back. My RIA has been in my collection for over 2 years and fired close to 4000 rounds and never failed on me yet. I'll probably never buy another Kimber but know I'm not getting rid of my RIA. I know that it may just be the one gun out of the whole series but a rotten apple will eventually taint the remaining ones. BTW my RIA consistently gives me 2 inch groupings from the get go. Can't say that to my pretty little Kimber.

9. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

RIA provides a high quality, low cost firearm for those who do not need status symbols on their firearms. The only thing that I require of a defensive handgun is that it goes bang every time I pull the trigger. Bells, whistles and high polish do not a firearm make. I suspect if you research the threads, you will find more people posting problems with high-end 1911 type firearms than the RIA........ But a Kimber is pretty.

10. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I try hard :p

11. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Exactly :cool:

12. gollygee

gollygee New Member

I can relate. I bought an American Classic Government model for $400 & change. Cleaned & lubed it & took it to the range. Accuracy was great. Cycled thru about 50 rounds FMJ smooth as silk. Really, really nice crisp light trigger, about 3-1/2 lbs. I turned to another shooter & remarked, "this is the best $400 I've ever spent".

Then at about round 70, the front sight flew into never-never land.:(

Long story shortened, that pistol spent 7 months at a warranty center, deemed unrepairable & a replacement ordered. The repair center received the replacment & found the sight on it was crooked.:mad: Importer agreed to upgrade me to a 'Deluxe' model. Nothing but feeding problems with it. If I had all the money I've spent for the original pistol, magazines trying to find one that would work & ammo testing it, I'd be able to buy a top of the line Colt! Not to mention all the hair pulling (I don't have any to spare) & unsavory language I have learned. :eek:

Yet, constantly reading the praises of the American Classic. Not only that, but I also have an American Classic Commander with feeding problems, but that's for another rant.

Now, so that I won't be accused of hijacking this thread, I just got my Rock Island back from the warranty center, repaired because of the notorious 'nose-dive' problem & failure to chamber the first round. Needless to say, I am not real high on the Phillipine pistols of any flavor. :)

13. doctruptwn

doctruptwn New Member

Here's my angle, I own Colt, Kimber, and a Nighthawk, But I shoot the hell out of my Rock's, Why, because they flatout work, Work everytime. The thing that your not taking into consideration is that Armscor is one of the largest producers of firearms in the world, Granted they are not an American company, but they are larger than most if not all the manufactures in the US combined. Why wouldn't they have a quality product.

14. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I have been reading 1911 sob stories for some time now here at the FTF and can say that Taurus far exceeds RIA in owner complaints.

Most of the Taurus complaints are directed to the customer service (or lack-there-of) where RIA seems to bend over backwards to keep their customers happy.

Don't get me wrong, I wear my Colt bias out in the open but have to say I would buy an RIA long before I would consider a Taurus.

I find your statement "I remember when junk was junk. RIA is what like somali pirates use." as biased as "Still, my SIG 1911 pwnes all!!"

Now can't we all just get along? - someone from LA :p

15. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

I spent 45 min at the RIA booth at SHOT. Talking to the guys at that booth, and I can tell you they stand behind their product and it is QUALITY. They are great guns for a great price.

I watched with my own eyes a guy throw his RIA down range into the dirt run down pick it up slap a mag in it and empty all 8 rounds as fast as he could pull the trigger. It might not be a nighthawk, but they are a rock solid dependable gun.

16. nightal

nightal New Member

17. gollygee

gollygee New Member

Don't get me wrong fellas! I have no complaint with the service from the American Classic or Rock Island folks. I guess my complaint is that with all the good things I've heard about both brands, I get (3) A.C.s (4 if you count the one I never took possession of) & one RIA & problems with everyone of them! I'm known on one of the forums I go to as the 1911 Jinx! :) Of course, that's really not true because my Colts & Kimber have been flawless from day one. :)

Having said all that, if either one of them ever offer a lightweight commander size pistol, especially a 4-1/4" with barrel bushing or a CCO type 1911, I'll buy it.