where is a good place to buy ammo

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by bigkline74, Mar 26, 2012.

1. bigkline74

bigkline74 New Member

I was wondering where a cheap place would be to buy ammo I been buying from my local shop but there prices r going through the roof does walmart have any Good prices or is there a website that's cheap?

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

You might be able to go through cheaperthandirt.com or brownells depends on laws in your area. You might want to look into reloading ammo is likely to get scarce as election time nears.

3. BallisticSurgeon

BallisticSurgeon New Member

I use cheaperthandirt.com. People say their shipping is too much but they are still cheaper in total cost than most online places. I compared a good bit of online places and CTD had cheaper prices even after shipping was calculated. But you can also check bulkammo.com, sgammo.com, and ammoseek.com.

4. chucksolo69

chucksolo69 New Member

I usually go to Wal-Mart or Turner's. Big 5 sometimes has sales.

5. XxChino13xX

XxChino13xX New Member

One other site to check out that I didn't see listed on the other thread is ammoseek.com , it's like a search engine for ammo. I actually plan on picking up another ammo can of 5.56 this week, already priced it out. It's all drop down menus so you choose the caliber, grain, manufacturer, etc. Pretty nice site, I got it from a buddy of mine that buys ammo online only (Which I've resorted to as well, 5.56 is no where around in my area).

6. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

for handgun ammo, some rifle, & 22LR my local walmarts are cheaper than anywhere i've found, even online.

for rifle ammo i either go to my local scheels sporting goods or sportsmans guide

7. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

8. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I buy some common stuff from Walmart.

I've also bought quite a bit online from a multitude of sources. I have yet to find anyone who can compete with the prices and service at SGammo.com...so I guess you could say I've pretty much stopped looking. They've earned a loyal customer.

9. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/900-rds-federal-223-556x45-mm-55-gr-fmj-ammo.aspx?a=459569

900 rnds of 55gr. 5 dollar shippin .. $271

http://www.sgammo.com/taxonomy/term/96

500 rnds a case. 2 cases 1000 rnds.. is $340. plus shipping... i just dont see how sgammo is a better deal

10. levelcross

levelcross New Member

It depends on the quantity that you are looking for, for 100 rounds go to Wallyworld, for 1K + look online or at the gun shows. Reloads might be an option, some love them some hate them.

11. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

We may see "prices and service" differently.

If you pay $30/yr to join-
    ...you can backorder 900rds of Lake City 55gr from Sportman's Guide for about $270 (good price, BTW)
    ...and if they get in on time, your ammo may show up in about a month.

You can order 1000rds of 55gr PMC right now for about $300 from SG. It will be at your door within a few days, you'll pay the exact same price per round as the mentioned deal from Sportsman's, not pay the $30 membership fee, and most importantly...not "hope" the order doesn't get pushed back further.

I've shot both enough to feel that Lake City and PMC ball are pretty well identical in performance and quality.

And many others ammo choices are quite a bit cheaper from SGammo. Like vs Sportsman's PMC price ($304 for 820rds, and backordered for a May delivery). And SGammo's service isn't accomodated by an annual fee.

That's how it's better.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  12. gollygee

gollygee New Member

Walmart is good on pricing for FMJ & the 100 round packs of Remington JHPs are good for break-in of a new pistol, but I wouldn't rely on it for SD. Their Winchester PDX1 Bonded has done well in expansion & penetration tests I've seen. If you have an Academy near by, prices aren't quite as good as Walmart, but generally have better selection.

But, as already stated, shopping around on the 'net can payoff in high volume buys.

13. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

Walmart, cheaper than dirt, sportsmansguide, midway USA, able ammo, do a few good searches and see what deals you can find. Many of our vendors post great deals in the vendor section as well.

14. bigkline74

bigkline74 New Member

Thank on the advice I was paying $20 for a 50 box of Remington 9mm Luger fmj

15. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

Ouch that is pricey. Walmart normally has good 100 round packs for around 22.99 for 9mm fmj

16. one_crazy_dude

one_crazy_dude New Member

17. prepper209

prepper209 New Member

18. prepper209

prepper209 New Member

Bulkammo.com

19. utf59

utf59 New Member

Academy sporting goods has good prices around here. Don't know if they have stores in your neck of the woods, though.