Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have accumulated thousands of rounds of ammo during the past 6 months. It's all kept in steel military canisters in my bedroom closet.

Where do do you keep yours.

·
Registered
562 Posts
On a high shelf in the locked bedroom walk in closet where my son can not get to it.

I thought about keeping it in that drawer under the oven but something told me that probably was not the best idea.

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
some in my firearms mags, the rest on a shelf next to said firearm.... i tried putting them in my pillow cases but that made it too hard to sleep.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Accumulating thousands of rounds, craziness. ;)

This entire time I've been led to believe that ten was the limit and more than efficient. :rolleyes:

·
Administrator
26,303 Posts
We do NOT store it in the thread for website suggestions.

(Relax- just moved it over to the right section. No harm, no foul :D)

GI ammo cans make good storage- that is what they were designed to do.

For myself.....

ammo 2.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
GI ammo cans (a bunch of them) in my climate controlled garage.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
One may well consider a designated safe just for ammo. My ammo safe has walls the thickness of my Glock, solid steel, and is 3 feet square. It sits atop another safe I keep gold, jewelry and important papers in. The lower safe weighs 5,000 pounds and is moved via forklift. Forklift stacked the two safes together, that now sit 6'7" tall. Naturally, I siliconed the two safes together. lol

Price I payed for these two safes? Free. Look around, older (better) safes get left behind. Contact a business realtor, auction house, lock smith.

The top safe is full, of many ammo cans, wish the bottom safe was full. lol

IMHO, it is not prudent, to store a cache of ammo, or firearms, outside a safe. Pretty good video I discovered on new safes.

http://youtu.be/ltK-bDbADa8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ltK-bDbADa8

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
In my gun waiting for BG's looking for my stuff!

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I store most of my ammo in my gun room. Reloading supplies are there too. I keep a shotgun and a couple boxes of ammo in the bedroom.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I didn't expext the smartass answers :eek: but that's ok :D. I was just wondering how and where people on the forum stored their ammo. Just trying to pick up some good suggestions. Have a nice day.:)

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
You don't want to put all your eggs in one basket. If you have a safe or steel locker that would work. I found a local LGS that had ammo cans for $7 ea. You don't want dirtbags to know all your hiding places! At $1/rd, it's like pots of gold in convent storage box. After you have been broken in to, you don't want to tell too much info.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
shucknshoot said:
I have accumulated thousands of rounds of ammo during the past 6 months. It's all kept in steel military canisters in my bedroom closet.

Where do do you keep yours.
In steel military canisters in my bedroom closet. Lol

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
For now I have them in ammo cans in my bedroom closet. But im going to get a job box and lock up my ammo inside of the cans in side of the job box. They weigh almost 200lbs empty and add a few thousand rounds and that thing will weight a hefty ammount.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Well I didn't expext the smartass answers :eek:
Sorry to shatter expectations, but I can see that you are new and will forgive you. :)

My son and I know the location(s), but ammo cans are the container. All are generally shielded from temperature extremes and moisture.

In my dreams this is what it looks like.

But I am still waiting to buy my second bullet.

·
Premium Member
22,674 Posts
Ammo should be kept cool and dry.

I store mine in sealed ammo cans with dessicant packs in the can, on the floor of my basement workshop.

Every 3 months, I open the cans and dry the dessicant.
(Two hours at 200 degrees in the electric oven.)

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I keep my handgun ammo in a small cabinet above the gun safe. I keep shotgun ammo in a military ammo box. in the "gun room" I keep my .357 in a concealed safe in the master bedroom suite, and a box of ammo with it. I have a single shot shotgun on the wall in the library, and a box of shells hidden behind some books.

·
Registered
6,928 Posts
We do NOT store it in the thread for website suggestions.

(Relax- just moved it over to the right section. No harm, no foul :D)

GI ammo cans make good storage- that is what they were designed to do.

For myself.....

View attachment 83753
Hey c3-- Can ya spare a box ah 45's :)

2 buggie bags full - large alum. multi pistol case full -for longer term sealed in foodsaver bags in closet floor -

1 - 20 of 20 Posts