Where in your home do you store ammo

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by shucknshoot, Feb 5, 2013.

1. shucknshoot

shucknshoot New Member

I have accumulated thousands of rounds of ammo during the past 6 months. It's all kept in steel military canisters in my bedroom closet.

Where do do you keep yours.

2. davva360

davva360 New Member

On a high shelf in the locked bedroom walk in closet where my son can not get to it.

I thought about keeping it in that drawer under the oven but something told me that probably was not the best idea.

3. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

some in my firearms mags, the rest on a shelf next to said firearm.... i tried putting them in my pillow cases but that made it too hard to sleep.

4. tshoot91

tshoot91 New Member

Accumulating thousands of rounds, craziness. ;)

This entire time I've been led to believe that ten was the limit and more than efficient. :rolleyes:

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

We do NOT store it in the thread for website suggestions.

(Relax- just moved it over to the right section. No harm, no foul :D)

GI ammo cans make good storage- that is what they were designed to do.

For myself.....

ammo 2.jpg

6. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

GI ammo cans (a bunch of them) in my climate controlled garage.

7. AR10

AR10 New Member

One may well consider a designated safe just for ammo. My ammo safe has walls the thickness of my Glock, solid steel, and is 3 feet square. It sits atop another safe I keep gold, jewelry and important papers in. The lower safe weighs 5,000 pounds and is moved via forklift. Forklift stacked the two safes together, that now sit 6'7" tall. Naturally, I siliconed the two safes together. lol

Price I payed for these two safes? Free. Look around, older (better) safes get left behind. Contact a business realtor, auction house, lock smith.

The top safe is full, of many ammo cans, wish the bottom safe was full. lol

IMHO, it is not prudent, to store a cache of ammo, or firearms, outside a safe. Pretty good video I discovered on new safes.

http://youtu.be/ltK-bDbADa8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ltK-bDbADa8

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  8. tri70

tri70 New Member

In my gun waiting for BG's looking for my stuff!

9. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I store most of my ammo in my gun room. Reloading supplies are there too. I keep a shotgun and a couple boxes of ammo in the bedroom.

10. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

I will be keeping one bullet taped inside my hat for an emergency.

I will buy my second bullet when prices come down.

11. shucknshoot

shucknshoot New Member

Well I didn't expext the smartass answers :eek: but that's ok :D. I was just wondering how and where people on the forum stored their ammo. Just trying to pick up some good suggestions. Have a nice day.:)

12. tri70

tri70 New Member

You don't want to put all your eggs in one basket. If you have a safe or steel locker that would work. I found a local LGS that had ammo cans for $7 ea. You don't want dirtbags to know all your hiding places! At $1/rd, it's like pots of gold in convent storage box. After you have been broken in to, you don't want to tell too much info.

13. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

In steel military canisters in my bedroom closet. Lol

14. bige91603

bige91603 New Member

Ammo cans locked inside an old footlocker my pap made back in the day

15. longunner

longunner New Member

:eek: :eek:

16. fupuk

fupuk New Member

For now I have them in ammo cans in my bedroom closet. But im going to get a job box and lock up my ammo inside of the cans in side of the job box. They weigh almost 200lbs empty and add a few thousand rounds and that thing will weight a hefty ammount.

17. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

Sorry to shatter expectations, but I can see that you are new and will forgive you. :)

My son and I know the location(s), but ammo cans are the container. All are generally shielded from temperature extremes and moisture.

In my dreams this is what it looks like.
    [​IMG]

But I am still waiting to buy my second bullet.

18. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Ammo should be kept cool and dry.

I store mine in sealed ammo cans with dessicant packs in the can, on the floor of my basement workshop.

Every 3 months, I open the cans and dry the dessicant.
    (Two hours at 200 degrees in the electric oven.)

19. Missouribound

Missouribound Active Member

I keep my handgun ammo in a small cabinet above the gun safe. I keep shotgun ammo in a military ammo box. in the "gun room" I keep my .357 in a concealed safe in the master bedroom suite, and a box of ammo with it. I have a single shot shotgun on the wall in the library, and a box of shells hidden behind some books.

20. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Hey c3-- Can ya spare a box ah 45's :)

2 buggie bags full - large alum. multi pistol case full -for longer term sealed in foodsaver bags in closet floor -

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013