Where does your family come from

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Davyboy, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Davyboy

Davyboy New Member

Who do you think you are
    Recently found out I am descended from the (black Irish). Turns out I am a direct descended of a survivor of the Spanish Armada circa 1588 who was imprisoned in Ireland for 11 years and later settled there. Wondered where the jet black hair came from "before it went grey"

Whats your story.

2. orangello

orangello New Member

It is my understanding that the Henderson side of the family originated in Scotland (highland supposedly); the Thompson side somewhere in England; the O'Sullivan/Sullivan side in Ireland (the southern part supposedly); we won't talk about the rest of them.

I've never met any members of the family from any of the "old countries", so it is all second-hand information to me. I was born in this county in the nearest town.

3. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

100% German, both sides.

Came to America to escape the Weimar Republic, worked the Pennsylvania coal mines and Maryland docks.

4. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

My family are members in the Mayflower Society. Which means you must prove you are linked to a particuler passenger aboard the Mayflower. In our case it is John Howland, indentured servant to John Carver. John Carver was chosen the first governor. Prior to that...Wales.

5. AsSeenOnTV

AsSeenOnTV New Member

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Biggest collection of mutts you could ask for.

The earliest of my family to come to the US was in the 1600s- one step ahead of the debtor's prison and/or the hangman- from England. Later arrivals were French Huguenots trying to stay ahead of the Cardinal, and the Scotch-Irish that picked the losing side of war with England. Still others were Cherokee that decided they did not want to take that long walk to Oklahoma.

In a nutshell- my ancestors were the ones that were too hard to catch!

7. Coyotenator

Coyotenator New Member

Dad's side came from England and mom's from Germany & France.

Both families have been in the Northwest since shortly after the Civil War.

One of my Great-Grandfathers was a Washington Territorial Marshall ,and had the reputation of bringing the fugitive back dead more often than nought.My dad had his Colt pistol,holster and badge until they were stolen in the move to Hawaii in 1968.

8. rurak

rurak New Member

Mostly polish. My full first name is Thaddeus. My father is scottish and polish. His father and mother were both marines in ww2. Its where they met i think. Im not quite sure about my mothers side, some irish i think. Im polish, irish and scottish ........ never had a tan

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  9. PC167

PC167 New Member

Mostly from Norway, but my grandpa's ancestors on my dad's side came from Europe.

10. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Fathers family origin, on his fathers side, is from Glasgow Scotland. The first one arrived here in 1781. His mothers side is from Ireland. They arrived here sometime in the mid 1700's.

Mothers family origin, on her fathers side, is from Wurzburg Germany. The first one arrived here in 1884. Her mothers side is from Dorchester England. The first one arrived here in 1731.

Pretty much I consider myself an American mutt.:D

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  11. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

William Hitchcock came from England to Baltimore in 1670. I have a straight line to him including his grandson that was a prisoner of war during the revolution.

12. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Bonjour mes amis.......100% :)

13. astroman

astroman Supporting Member Supporter

Well my name is tanto kowalski...;)

But seriously, I am adopted so who knows....but my adopted parents are from iceland and germany. My great uncle was president of Iceland in the 1960s..still have a lot of relatives there...

14. marlin-owner

marlin-owner New Member

50/50 German and Irish. my family came here to flee world war 1 on a boat in New York city. in about 1910 i believe. we still have family in Germany and Ireland. directly related to the McCoy family. according to my mother they were a family that fell apart and killed each other.

15. Highhawk8

Highhawk8 New Member

America, Scotland, England

16. 25-5

25-5 New Member

I am mostly Norwegian and some English. Now that I am thinking about it, since the Vikings f-ed the hell out of the Brits, I must be all Norwegian.

17. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

Kenyan?:confused:

18. buckhuntr

buckhuntr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Interesting! We could have a common ancestor or two somewhere. One of my ancestors was a French Huguenot named Pierre Chastain, who came over with his family from England, landing in Virginia in 1700. I've got French, English, Scotch (wonder if that's where I get my taste for a good single-malt?), German, Cherokee, and possibly Vikings in the family tree, based on research my youngest sister has done. At least 3 ancestors fought in the American Revolution, possibly 4, and one is buried at Arlington. Another is listed on a monument outside the courthouse in Asheville, NC as one of that area's Revolutionary War heroes.

19. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

1st generation American born to parents who emigrated from Ireland ... by boat in 1969 :)

20. GonzoLonzo

GonzoLonzo New Member

Hey dog2000tj, I'm 1st generation born in America also. My parents came from Mexico though. And yes, they came here legally :D . Farther down the line they came from Italy, Spain and Greece.